Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: EVO Skins came in!

Nothing but a Thing desertrunner's Avatar
    I just did these like 2 weeks ago on my 2 door and this is my second set. This round went WAY better than my last one so I'll share what I did.

Use some Irwin quick grip clamps (or similar) to clamp them up to mark holes, when you mark the holes make sure you push the body armor up to the body if it's not touching before you mark the hole. A few spots on mine were like 1" away from the body so we by hand squeezed it up there like it will sit when it's tight to mark the holes if that makes sence. I then used a punch to get a good mark for the drill bit. I didn't use any smaller bits just went straight for the 3/8" bit which is a hair smaller than the diameter of the nutsert so you may need to do a few in and outs with the drill bit to get the whole slightly bigger. Also some of the holes have to go through more than just the first layer of sheet metal, some of the metal on the edges and the bottom are really close together and the nutsert won't fit in far enough to get clamped down. With that in mind try not to wreck the first hole drilling the second deeper hole (so to speak). I then used some touch up paint to paint the holes. Put a dab of red lock tight on the nutserts and used that same Astro tool to clamp them. And as mentioned practice it once or twice as it is strong enough to really jack those things up. I let the lock tight dry for like 30 mins then bolted them up and they fit pretty damn good (a hell of a lot better than my 1st set that ended up with a few popped rivets that spun with the bolt half way out due to the holes not lining up right)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app
    12' 2dr Gecko Sport 6 speed
    PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.
    ***CURRENT DD*** 16' F150

Quote Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister View Post
    The corners were an absolute bitch of an install. Then to go right into the EVO tire carrier, holy shit.

After that baptism by fire, I feel like doing the rock skins just to calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by FuriousDz View Post
    Yeah that sounds like a couple days of alcohol and profanity

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Oh fuck yeah, but they look so bad ass!
    DID I MENTION MY RIG IS FOR SALE?

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    I just did these like 2 weeks ago on my 2 door and this is my second set. This round went WAY better than my last one so I'll share what I did.

Use some Irwin quick grip clamps (or similar) to clamp them up to mark holes, when you mark the holes make sure you push the body armor up to the body if it's not touching before you mark the hole. A few spots on mine were like 1" away from the body so we by hand squeezed it up there like it will sit when it's tight to mark the holes if that makes sence. I then used a punch to get a good mark for the drill bit. I didn't use any smaller bits just went straight for the 3/8" bit which is a hair smaller than the diameter of the nutsert so you may need to do a few in and outs with the drill bit to get the whole slightly bigger. Also some of the holes have to go through more than just the first layer of sheet metal, some of the metal on the edges and the bottom are really close together and the nutsert won't fit in far enough to get clamped down. With that in mind try not to wreck the first hole drilling the second deeper hole (so to speak). I then used some touch up paint to paint the holes. Put a dab of red lock tight on the nutserts and used that same Astro tool to clamp them. And as mentioned practice it once or twice as it is strong enough to really jack those things up. I let the lock tight dry for like 30 mins then bolted them up and they fit pretty damn good (a hell of a lot better than my 1st set that ended up with a few popped rivets that spun with the bolt half way out due to the holes not lining up right)

They turned out fantastic!
    DID I MENTION MY RIG IS FOR SALE?

“Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Been Around the Block FuriousDz's Avatar

Thanks, I will keep all of that in mind. I was wondering about having to drill through both walls. The directions actually say only drill through the first.

- 2017 JKU Sport -
    - 3" Evo Enforcer w/draglink flip - KMC XD128 Machete's - 35" Cooper STT Pro's -
    - EVO 2nd Gen Rock Skins - EVO 2nd Gen Rock Sliders -
    - EVO 1/4 pounder w/Stinger -

Thanks, I will keep all of that in mind. I was wondering about having to drill through both walls. The directions actually say only drill through the first.

Not sure how many you will have on the 4dr but on my 2 door I think I had 3 or 4 holes out of the 14 on each side that needed to go through more than just the first layer. Now if you can get the nutsert in to about half way down the grooved area it should be fine as it starts to fold on itself there but if I remember right there were at least 2 on each size that weren't even close to fitting without going through 2 layers.

PR44, ARBs, 4.88s, 35 spline rear, Adams 1350 Front & Rear, Rubi T-case, Rubi sway bar + Evo no limits, Evo armor & skids, 37/13.50" Cooper STT Pro, Evo 2" plush / OME med duty springs

***SOLD*** 08' JKU Rubicon 6-speed Stone White, 3.5" RK lift, 37" KM2s and lots more.

Weather permitting I should be installing these this weekend.

Any advantage to doing this with the doors off or on?

Weather permitting I should be installing these this weekend.

Any advantage to doing this with the doors off or on?
    I took my doors off to do it just so I had a surface to clamp on. You might be able to do it just with the door open if you detach the teather but it's just easier to get them out of the way. In my experience doing one clamped and not clamped I highly recommend clamping them down and use 2 ppl to hold them into place to mark the holes. If you have the time and space to take the doors off it will help.

Not sure how many you will have on the 4dr but on my 2 door I think I had 3 or 4 holes out of the 14 on each side that needed to go through more than just the first layer. Now if you can get the nutsert in to about half way down the grooved area it should be fine as it starts to fold on itself there but if I remember right there were at least 2 on each size that weren't even close to fitting without going through 2 layers.

Yup, particularly around the fenderwells. It's that bracing behind it you have to clearance to get the nutsert fully seated.

I took my doors off to do it just so I had a surface to clamp on. You might be able to do it just with the door open if you detach the teather but it's just easier to get them out of the way. In my experience doing one clamped and not clamped I highly recommend clamping them down and use 2 ppl to hold them into place to mark the holes. If you have the time and space to take the doors off it will help.

Ok I figured that. I will have 2 of us helping but I was definitely buying the clamps as well. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave View Post
    Yup, particularly around the fenderwells. It's that bracing behind it you have to clearance to get the nutsert fully seated.
    Ok so any particular depth I should be thinking about marking the drill bit so theres no guess work?

Ok so any particular depth I should be thinking about marking the drill bit so theres no guess work?
    Not really. It's a look-and-feel kinda thing. Start your hole with the step bit and take a regular drill bit of the same size to the second layer just deep enough to get the nutsert in.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast