Best sport cage

JKsix

I am wondering what sport cage for the JK you all thing is the best? I wat something that will really protect the people inside my jeep and not be just for looks since my wife and son will be riding with me. What does everyone think?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've personally installed and run both an OR-FAB and Rock Hard Cage and can tell you that both are really nice. The OR-FAB has a more finished look but the Rock Hard is much easier to install. I have also seen a JK roll several times with a Rock Hard and it did a great job of protecting its passengers. I would not recommend the Poison Spyder cage as it is difficult to install and very noisy.

Rock-itman

I've personally installed and run both an OR-FAB and Rock Hard Cage and can tell you that both are really nice. The OR-FAB has a more finished look but the Rock Hard is much easier to install. I have also seen a JK roll several times with a Rock Hard and it did a great job of protecting its passengers. I would not recommend the Poison Spyder cage as it is difficult to install and very noisy.

X2 i like the rock hard also ! The price isnt bad until you add the options then it gets into the 900-1,000 $ range i think . They add for the mount to floor kit and the far rear bar. Do any of you guys run the harness bar behind the front seats ? Was wondring how nice it would be to have a full harness on ?? Thanx or mastercraft seats :eek:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I prefer the OR-Fab if you are talking only bolt-in cages. I'm not sure how much it helps, but I liked having the floor tie-in and I agree with Eddie on both counts...it's harder to install but looks more finished IMHO.

Edit: I do think both the OR and the Rock hard could benefit from a true "C" pillar though.

dhughes

Banned
I've got the weld in from RR and like it. The fit was great and seems to be a strong design.
ry5ypu8y.jpg
not a very good pic, sorry.

moparnation

Im also planning on a cage in the future, i've heard that with the orfab cage you have to fine tweak it to be able to get the soft top on corrctly in the front? i may be mistaken though. anybody have that problem? and what about with the rockhard cage?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I've got the weld in from RR and like it. The fit was great and seems to be a strong design.
ry5ypu8y.jpg
not a very good pic, sorry.

I like this cage too but the top windshield bar blocks too much of my vision...and I'm only 6'01". I really like lateral support in the rear though.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Im also planning on a cage in the future, i've heard that with the orfab cage you have to fine tweak it to be able to get the soft top on corrctly in the front? i may be mistaken though. anybody have that problem? and what about with the rockhard cage?

I put the OR in my '09. I never had a soft top but I can tell you that much care needs to be taken to ensure your windshield ends up in the exact same spot as it was from the factory. Just a matter of taking a lot of measurements...but it's worth the effort. I had zero leaks and no whistle with my hard top.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, at mentioned, you need to take good measurements before you take things apart. Failure to do so will cause a lot of wind noise and leaks. I have not had any problems with either of the 2 Rock Hard cages I've installed.

JKsix

Yes, at mentioned, you need to take good measurements before you take things apart. Failure to do so will cause a lot of wind noise and leaks. I have not had any problems with either of the 2 Rock Hard cages I've installed.

Well I think I'm leaning towards the rock hard cage... Thanks for your insight everyone

moparnation

thanks guy, awesome.....looks like i'll have to look a little into the rockhard too now lol, i had already been eyeballing the orfab for about a year :p

and yea...i dont have the OE top, just a hardtop and a trek

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have the Rock Hard cage. Install is pretty easy. I'll be adding the PSC c pillar kit soon.

Hatewagon

I have the Rock Hard cage. Install is pretty easy. I'll be adding the PSC c pillar kit soon.

That is my plan as well. I have a Rock Hard installed, was very happy with it, but I'll be adding some support to the C pillar asap.

kb3ejw

i am looking at the rock hard cage myself.....my question is,will it interfere with my A-Pillar switches???

GCM 2

i am looking at the rock hard cage myself.....my question is,will it interfere with my A-Pillar switches???

Yes, most sport cages, and definitely the Rock Hard 4x4 cage, will block the A-pillar. My Rock Hard cage sits so close to A-pillar that if I had switches there I could not see them.

Mikes Offroad

Install the PSC cage and I have to agree with Eddie, pain in the butt to install but I have no issues with any noise coming from it. I like the way PSC looks when installed not a fan of the clamp look that some of the other brands have.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Install the PSC cage and I have to agree with Eddie, pain in the butt to install but I have no issues with any noise coming from it. I like the way PSC looks when installed not a fan of the clamp look that some of the other brands have.

Really? No noise from it what so ever?? There was a thread here of guys talking about way to keep it quite but, I have never seen or heard of anyone who owns one to say that before.

Dave_g

I am in process of installing my own Rock hard. Been tough, want to color match the Commando but I haven't been able to get it done yet.

Top Bottom