Drive shaft help!

Dopey84

I'm helping my buddy install his Adams 1350 severe duty drive shaft and we can't find torque specs on pinion nut and preload and transfer case torque on the yoke.. and direction the bolts should go in...

Evil

All right at the top of Adams website........

With the Impact gun tighten down the pinion nut until the socket comes to a stop.

NOTE: DO NOT KEEP TIGHTENING THE PINION NUT AFTER THE SOCKET HAS STOP. If you keep tightening the nut you will over crush the crush sleeve and the pinion bearings will burn up. If you are unsure of this step please give us a call at 702-568-5680 and we would be glad to answer any questions you have, or consult a professional mechanic.

Check to make sure that there is no play in or out, or up and down on the pinion yoke. If there is some play then the yoke has not been tightened down to the crush sleeve yet. Continue tightening until there is no movement in the yoke in or out, or up and down.

JeepJeep75

So, I was in your exact same predicament with my front 1350 Adams. I called the help number and was able to speak to one of their techs that installs them. He told me basically there isn't a torque spec for the axle pinion flange. At the time I didn't own an impact gun. He told me in a kind of indirect way to just tighten it by hand with a breaker bar until it "felt" tight. I did exactly that. I did feel something kind of "give" a tiny bit as I was near what I felt was tight. I'm pretty sure what I felt was the crush sleeve crushing down slightly. I have since put about 10,000 miles on it, including some off-road use without any issues or vibes or anything odd. I did get a dial type inch-pound wrench which gave me the same rotational force reading before and after the install of the flange. Hope this helps... [emoji373][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I'm helping my buddy install his Adams 1350 severe duty drive shaft and we can't find torque specs on pinion nut and preload and transfer case torque on the yoke.. and direction the bolts should go in...

160 ft-lb on the transfer case side. To do the pinion correctly you need to pull the carrier and get an as found reading for pinion preload. Then using a new pinion nut, tighten back down until that same preload is reached. Yes, there are ways to cowboy it and you can get away with it. Just want to make you aware that's not how to properly do it. Failure to do it correctly could cause you problems.....or it could turn out just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom