Need recommendations for a new head unit

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
GraniteCrystal had a GREAT write up in his build thread showing how you can easily put an iPad in the dash of a JK/JKU. That's the route I personally would go :thumb:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I am really interested in the Insane Audio units, but I'm having a hard time finding one to check out in person before dropping $1k on one, and there isn't really any going back at that point. :idontknow:

Amrth

I have a 2014 unlimited and wantd to get a new head unit. Just wanted to know what you bought and why

I've not pulled a trigger on one yet, but I always wanted one which could mirror the phone. I believe pioneer has one and its pretty expensive I hear.. also yeah you have a choice of having the Ipad on the Jeep.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I run Pioneer Avic NEX series.
I went with 8200 series, which has built in gps. I love it, great features and tons of audio adjustments. I also run an amplifier and I upgraded all the speakers. I've always been a fan of Pioneer though.

4000 series is the only model one that has a removable faceplate. I am not sure if it comes with built in gps, but all the units now have 'apple car play' and ' android play' which will use the maps form your phone. Everything can be controlled form he head unit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yup, I just did the pioneer AVIC 8200 also with the idatalink. Retains all the steering wheel controls, Bluetooth is better/faster, and if you already have XM/Sirius, there's a $10 adaptor that lets you use the factory antenna. I went with the navigation only for the rare occasion I'm out in the boonies without cell service and need directions.

View attachment 256503

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Yup, I just did the pioneer AVIC 8200 also with the idatalink. Retains all the steering wheel controls, Bluetooth is better/faster, and if you already have XM/Sirius, there's a $10 adaptor that lets you use the factory antenna. I went with the navigation only for the rare occasion I'm out in the boonies without cell service and need directions.

Same here, navi was mostly for the wife but after some thinking thorough it's nice to have when the phone doesn't work. Idata link is also great for pulling up trans temp, intake temp, vacuum etc. I am very pleased with this setup. [emoji108]. I also bought a $20 backup camera form amazon and hooked it right up to the unit. I have one more camera slot available, I was thinking of putting it underneath somewhere on the facing forward to help me with with adjusting for a line. It probably won't last long down there but by for $20 it's worth to mess around it with.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
$400 is entry level pretty much these days, maybe a used or remanufactured factory touch screen. Anything with nav is $750 and up on sale. I imagine there are adapters to run a single din old school radio. Those run between $80-$175 for something pretty nice with all the basic stuff including bluetooth. That would also sound better than a stock unit with the typical upgraded speakers and amps if you just want good sound.

ZeMax

Ran an Pioneer 5200nex for a few years. Reallly satisfied with the unit. You can find em on sale for 400-500$ sometimes.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug

View attachment 256503

I did the same thing for the same reason, but got the 7200. Overall satisfied, but the head unit has a few small issues but nothing major.

Frydaddy

Well, there is another option, its not pretty though.

Joying 6.2" Touchscreen for Jeep

Joying Universal Double Din Android Touchscreen

The prices are about $300 for an android unit, that is, it can take any programs your phone can take. The Jeep one is drop in, but its only version 5.1.1 Lolipop. Some of the universal ones are 6.0 Marshmallow. But the universal ones need dash adapters, and adapters for the steering wheel controls, all customizable.

Since these are some Asiatic/Pacific Rim brand, Theres lots of tweaks and mods to make it work even better, The Forum community is really strong though so you will have plenty of support. I have been eyeing this route for some time, I cant justify spending a grand just for an auxiliary system.

AdrockTT

I basically use my phone for all navigation, blue tooth, music, etc. I run the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX which is in your price range and it works great for my needs. I mirror my phone directly on it with Miralink. Sounds killer after setup with auto-EQ and microphone tuning.

houstonjeepdude

I ended up getting the Pioneer NEX4200 for the Android play and DVD. I ran some AV cable to the back to hook up a small tv for my sons viewing pleasure. Made the last 5 hour trip seem shorter.

Top Bottom