Conversion/Cargo Van Camper Setups

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I've been super interested in converting an old cargo van, or conversion van, into a camper. To me, it sounds like the perfect setup. Small and easy to navigate around town (as opposed to a big massive RV), you can blend in if need be, and it's big enough to tow a Jeep. At least, a 4 cylinder TJ :) I'm wondering if anyone has a cargo van they use as a camper. If so, post up some pics! I'm probably going to buy one here in the next few months.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Something like this is what I'm after. (Picture from Google images... not my picture).

img_9341.jpg

BaddestCross

Let me know how your e350 pulls your Jeep. That's what I'm most concerned about. And I'm not talking across town, I'm talking 8+ hour road trips.
You'll be waiting for a couple years to hear back from me on that one. 😂 What I can tell you is that it's got a GVWR of 9400 lbs, so it shouldn't be a problem. I carry a full load of steel shelving, parts, and tools all the time and will load a full HVAC system in it from time to time and I've got no power problems. I don't imagine flat-towing a Jeep would be a big deal.

My brother-in-law used a Chevy 3500 van to tow his toy hauler with his Austin Healy race car inside for years. I took a trip to AZ with him once in that setup and it was fine. He complained about long, steep grades being a little gutless, but I figured towing that kinda weight going uphill at 55-60 was pretty damn good.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

meljr

2016 Ford Transit High Roof Extended Body

I bought this a couple of months ago to convert into a stealth camper and tow rig. The full sized Transit are RWD and have plenty of power. Mine is a 3/4 ton and rated to tow 9100 lbs. which should handle my car trailer and either the Comanche or JK Unlimited nicely.

The conversion has begun with crossbars for solar panels, a sink and counter top, porta-potty, propane stove, privacy screens and a bulkhead divider with door to keep the porta potty from shoving me through the windshield during a collision. Still to come a removable queen size bed platform, insulation and paneling.

33581555802_138b5874c6_z.jpg 32359424853_05de230783_z.jpg 28362064303_3072460c43_z.jpg 32908746303_08fb5458e4_z.jpg 33422012901_41b68d1d22_z.jpg

Top Bottom