What oil do you use?

MrEmmDubya

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death over the years but I'm looking to see what others are using for oil. I have always been a fan of Mobil 1 oil but according to what I have read it does not meet Chrysler MS-6395 warranty requirements. I have a 2012 2 door sport (5w 30) and a 2016 4 door sport (5w 20). I plan on using the weight recommended on the oil cap but haven't made the decision on what to use. More than likely fully synthetic.......love to hear what you are using. Thanks.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Honestly, as long as you use the proper weight I don't think you can really go wrong. I'm pretty sure mopar likes to use penzoil.

Anyway I have been Mobil 1 for years as well with no issues.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I exclusively buy Engine Oil for the engine, ATF+4 for the transfer case, MTF for the trans (stick shift) and Gear oil for the axles... it is 2017; even the cheapest fluids are better than not changing them. :yup:

Get whatever "brand" you like. they are all basically the same. For anyone who argues otherwise, ask for the Blackstone lab report showing THEIR usage comparison between the "best brand" and some others; they wont have it. because if they did, they would already know its all basically the same.

*within 3-5%, which considering your DRIVING the car, and its not operating in a controlled environment, can be chalked up to acceptable experimental error.

**what the PUBLISHED results show is a test between "the better brand", putt around for that oil interval, then send the oil off to the lab, then they run the engine at higher loads on "the OTHER brands" intervals; send that out for testing and what do the results show? MORE Wear in the "OTHER brands" test... BIG SURPRISE. :doh: :naw: but, not a valid comparison... THAT is marketing, and relatively crooked marketing if you ask me... but I digress...

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Mobil 1 is the best oil out there. The only true full synthetic. It has protected my engines wonderfully. The reason that Chrysler does not give Mobil 1 the certification is pure politics, nothing more. There has not been one case in which they have denied any warranty when not using a preferred or "certified" oil with their engines.

As for the 5W-20 vs 5W-30 debate. I did a ton of research and found that the 2012+ 3.6L engine is more suited for the 5W-20 oil because the 5W-30 is a bit thicker and doesn't flow as well through that engine. For the 3.8L, 5W-30.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
When it comes to oil, you will have the conventional camp and the synthetic camp. The debate over which is better will continue indefinitely. I personally dwell in the conventional camp and believe that changing the fluid and filter more frequently is better. So for me it's Quakerstate 5w20 & Fram Filter for less than $25 every 4,000 miles. I just can't get past having the same oil and filter for 10-15k.

WJCO

Meme King
When it comes to oil, you will have the conventional camp and the synthetic camp. The debate over which is better will continue indefinitely. I personally dwell in the conventional camp and believe that changing the fluid and filter more frequently is better. So for me it's Quakerstate 5w20 & Fram Filter for less than $25 every 4,000 miles. I just can't get past having the same oil and filter for 10-15k.

I do this as well. Cheap as possible, but the correct weight. I change mine around 3k if I can.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 in my 2006 TJ. Roughly $50 every 5000 miles. I use a WIX filter. I'm not really a "brand" person, but those are the two I happened to buy one day and have since always bought the same thing. It works :)

Andy5160

Hooked
Mobil 1 or Castrol,3 to 5 K miles intervals if I do myself. If not whatever my local guy uses in his shop.

bearisloco

This is not a discussion on synthetic VS regular oil.

I keep my vehicles until they die. I've own many vehicles and use the generic brands as long as it meets the vehicles requirement. The oil cap tells you what to use. I've been able to keep my vehicles past 200,000 miles always. However, those were toyota cars.

The same should apply here as well. The brands arguments are always debatable. I work in pharmaceutical business and generics are as good as the brand. Brand A and brand Z are often time manufactured by the same producer and marketed as both. I don't see the need for the unnecessary expense. That's just me and my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Whatever full synthetic is on sale at advance auto at the time. I change every 5000 miles because it's easy to see on the odometer.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Synthetic camp - isn't the whole point of using synthetic supposed to be that it last longer so you don't have to change it as often? Why spend the extra money if it's going to get dumped at conventional intervals?

zimm

Caught the Bug
Synthetic camp - isn't the whole point of using synthetic supposed to be that it last longer so you don't have to change it as often? Why spend the extra money if it's going to get dumped at conventional intervals?

It doesn't break down and coke up at high temps. Doesn't really last longer. Oil gets dirty from the engine no matter what it is.

Top Bottom