Roof rack for 3D JK for mounting roof top tent

Alexander

I am trying to find roof rack for a short JK for installation the roof top tent like ARB SIMPSON SERIES III.
But there is one limitation:a small design is preferred, so that it can be sent from the US at a low cost.

I think about Rhino Racks backbone system with 4 mounting points.
http://www.rhinorack.com/rhino-rack-backbone
As I know the maximum static load is 240 kg for short JK and 360 for JKU.
But the question is: is it strong enough for the tent + 2 two adults?:idontknow:

Alexander

I'm sure it's strong enough. I would change to 1" bolts though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

According to my calculations: the tent weighs 50 kg, two people (I and my wife) - 160 kg. Total is 210 kg. This is close to the maximum 240kg.
But what if two people will be I and my brother - about 220 kg total? It is 30 kg more than maximum. Not a universal solution :Disappointed:

GraniteCrystal

I think you'll be fine. With any of this stuff, it can probably hold 2x what they say. It's called a factor of safety. It's designed to hold anywhere from 1.5-3x what they say depending on what would happen if it were to break. The worse the damage would be, the higher the factor of safety.

Last edited:

gatorator

According to my calculations: the tent weighs 50 kg, two people (I and my wife) - 160 kg. Total is 210 kg. This is close to the maximum 240kg.
But what if two people will be I and my brother - about 220 kg total? It is 30 kg more than maximum. Not a universal solution :Disappointed:

I believe the rating factor is weight of items while vehicle is in motion,

while tent deployed you get different factor so more weight can be applied, so that rating isn't applicable.

Top Bottom