Guess your reputation around the web is accurate.

swinler

I'm on my second set of Guard Dogs. 32" and now 35s. They're good but one of mine needed a lot of weight to balance. That might be my fault though because Treadwright recommends the static balance, but mine were done on a standard dynamic machine. Also, this isn't a performance problem but my second set (which are remolded bead-to-bead) has some of the new rubber squeezed out around the edge of the rims. It's just a thin layer of new rubber that was molded over the existing bead. They may have fixed that cosmetic problem by now, not sure. I'm happy with them and may go with the Claw II when my current set wears out (the Claw II tread pattern resembles the earlier BFG KMs but you can get them in 35s). Can't beat the price - where else can you get a set of 5 new 35" treads for around a grand?

On road, they seem to work like other off-road oriented tires. Never a problem on dry pavement. Their wet traction is probably average; I don't feel like I need the white knuckles every time it rains. As others have said the Kedge grip would most likely help with wet/icy conditions. They are molded for studs. You've always got that little shift lever on the console to help a little with the rain/snow, unless you have one of those strange 2wd JKs...

The Guard Dogs hum/whine/sing. I'm used to it. They do seem to get the animals' attention; but I'll never be able to say how many critters I avoided hitting because of the tire noise... My coworkers sometimes ask me what that noise is when going out to lunch; I just say that's the sound of liberal tears hitting the dry pavement :usa-flag: oops did I offend someone? :grouphug:

As for off-road: Again I've only tried the Guard Dog so far but they are excellent in both rocks and mud. I always air them down to ~15 psi (315/75 R17) on stock early Rubicon rims, air back up and drive anywhere from 20-40 miles back home and have yet to have a problem after 2-1/2 years, ~35,000 miles and maybe a couple dozen trail rides.

These tires tend to be on the heavy side, but that could work as an advantage in some off-road situations. I once considered getting a set of the earlier Mopar / Hutchinson beadlocks (which are a little more than twice as heavy as the stock Rubi rims if memory serves). You may want to look at some lighter tires for beadlocks, or screw it and explore the limits of the D30/D44s while building your ton axle fund :rock:

Treadwright supposedly ensures that all tires in a given order have matching carcasses. That is obviously a greater concern with their bead-to-bead tires, but there are almost certainly noticeable differences in the tires' inner surface from one brand to another. I checked my newest set carefully and did not see any differences.

I think there's a stigma associated with remolded tires that will never go away. That's OK by me because it helps keep the prices suppressed. Always chalk test your tires to find your optimum pressures, re-check them weekly, rotate etc. and they'll be as safe as any other tire.

Last edited:

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I would NEVER run a re-tread. Completely stupid idea and incredibly dangerous, IMO.

Not to disagree, but the biggest safety item is always between the ears. :drinks:

While I don't disagree, you seem to be in love with your below average quality tires, and when you skimp out on tires, you skimp out on safety. So you're "between the ears" safety device must be broken!

swinler

I would NEVER run a re-tread. Completely stupid idea and incredibly dangerous, IMO.

While I don't disagree, you seem to be in love with your below average quality tires, and when you skimp out on tires, you skimp out on safety. So you're "between the ears" safety device must be broken!

Nice. There is a very significant difference between retreads and Treadwright's manufacturing process. This has all been argued before in various forums, which is why I said that the stigma and ignorance regarding retreads vs remolded tires will almost certainly never go away. All I'm saying is that Treadwright tires are worth serious, mature consideration; and if one cannot look beyond the anti-hype, then brand new tires are the way to go. 🍻

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Nice. There is a very significant difference between retreads and Treadwright's manufacturing process. This has all been argued before in various forums, which is why I said that the stigma and ignorance regarding retreads vs remolded tires will almost certainly never go away. All I'm saying is that Treadwright tires are worth serious, mature consideration; and if one cannot look beyond the anti-hype, then brand new tires are the way to go. 🍻

A retread is a retread is a retread.... they're all the same. I don't care what process changes they made, at one time that tire was junk and they dress it up to sell it again. Garbage.

swinler

Let's just bypass the all too common devolution of thread discussion into who can manage to "shout the loudest" on here. Bottom line is that there is risk involved in everything. Do your homework. Try to avoid opinions devoid of facts or personal experience. Find as much objective info as you can. Individual experiences like mine or the others here aren't as useful because they're mostly single points of data, especially in this case when one really needs an adequate understanding of the probability (requiring much more data) of getting a full set of remolded tires as safe as brand new. If you're giving the brand a rigorous look, then you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Visit the treadwright web page and look not only at their technical information but also the company history: founded around 40 years ago; expanded manufacturing in 2014-2015. If their tires are inherently unsafe, then there should be a corresponding increase in negative information out there like lawsuits, bad press, etc. Try to find that kind of information too. Ask yourself how they're not only still in business, but apparently thriving.

It's perhaps a bit of parental instinct to advise others to do one thing or another. Be your own adult and think for yourself. It's very rewarding to make your own decisions backed up by your own hard-earned knowledge of not only the facts but also the uncertainties. Good luck! 👍

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Not to disagree, but the biggest safety item is always between the ears. :drinks:

Brains are only as good as their owners investment in them. Big tires and blowouts don't mix well so I stand by my statement as anyone can buy a better tire. They can't buy a better brain no matter how much they need it.

swinler

LOL this thread is nearly identical to at least one other (an Xterra forum has dozens of pages of back-and-forth about Treadwright).

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I'd say its really not about treadwright at all. To me it's more about buying something known to be good vs rolling the dice because someone is cheap. Are people so taxed on their Jeep payment that they are running their budget to the limit? If you can't afford tires then maybe it's time to trade for a prius. Most people crying or here or any forum do so frequently because they were cheap and bought crap products. They come on here wanting a review on something and when they don't hear what they want, they complain or start shit. The OP asked for an opinion and very largely nobody has an interest in these tires, his question was answered but you seem to have a problem with it. With 5 posts as of this response, and all of them in this thread, its hard to take you seriously. Pretty much coming off as a troll. My opinion is and remains, buy good stuff. Since I don't live in my parent's basement and work for a living, I can afford it. Those who can't shouldn't be trying to keep up with those that do, or the smart ones who are on here, and there are a LOT a smart people here on a budget, do it in stages. They buy good quality tires/parts when the time is right. In the end, buying the cheapest thing available just to have it now may be the best thing for a treadwright lover, at least when the repo man comes, they won't be out anything valuable... except the rest of that Jeep they couldn't afford in the first place. With any luck this rant/response gave you the trollgasm you were looking for. :hmm:

swinler

I'd say its really not about treadwright at all. To me it's more about buying something known to be good vs rolling the dice because someone is cheap. Are people so taxed on their Jeep payment that they are running their budget to the limit? If you can't afford tires then maybe it's time to trade for a prius. Most people crying or here or any forum do so frequently because they were cheap and bought crap products. They come on here wanting a review on something and when they don't hear what they want, they complain or start shit. The OP asked for an opinion and very largely nobody has an interest in these tires, his question was answered but you seem to have a problem with it. With 5 posts as of this response, and all of them in this thread, its hard to take you seriously. Pretty much coming off as a troll. My opinion is and remains, buy good stuff. Since I don't live in my parent's basement and work for a living, I can afford it. Those who can't shouldn't be trying to keep up with those that do, or the smart ones who are on here, and there are a LOT a smart people here on a budget, do it in stages. They buy good quality tires/parts when the time is right. In the end, buying the cheapest thing available just to have it now may be the best thing for a treadwright lover, at least when the repo man comes, they won't be out anything valuable... except the rest of that Jeep they couldn't afford in the first place. With any luck this rant/response gave you the trollgasm you were looking for. :hmm:

Why don't you contribute something meaningful to this thread and share your personal experience with Treadwright tires?

WJCO

Meme King
Why don't you contribute something meaningful to this thread and share your personal experience with Treadwright tires?

Do you work for Treadright or something? You seem rather quick to defend them continually. You've been a member here since 2014 and just popped up recently and all of your posts are in this thread. :hmm:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'm on my second set of Guard Dogs. 32" and now 35s. They're good but one of mine needed a lot of weight to balance. That might be my fault though because Treadwright recommends the static balance, but mine were done on a standard dynamic machine. Also, this isn't a performance problem but my second set (which are remolded bead-to-bead) has some of the new rubber squeezed out around the edge of the rims. It's just a thin layer of new rubber that was molded over the existing bead. They may have fixed that cosmetic problem by now, not sure. I'm happy with them and may go with the Claw II when my current set wears out (the Claw II tread pattern resembles the earlier BFG KMs but you can get them in 35s). Can't beat the price - where else can you get a set of 5 new 35" treads for around a grand?

On road, they seem to work like other off-road oriented tires. Never a problem on dry pavement. Their wet traction is probably average; I don't feel like I need the white knuckles every time it rains. As others have said the Kedge grip would most likely help with wet/icy conditions. They are molded for studs. You've always got that little shift lever on the console to help a little with the rain/snow, unless you have one of those strange 2wd JKs...

The Guard Dogs hum/whine/sing. I'm used to it. They do seem to get the animals' attention; but I'll never be able to say how many critters I avoided hitting because of the tire noise... My coworkers sometimes ask me what that noise is when going out to lunch; I just say that's the sound of liberal tears hitting the dry pavement :usa-flag: oops did I offend someone? :grouphug:

As for off-road: Again I've only tried the Guard Dog so far but they are excellent in both rocks and mud. I always air them down to ~15 psi (315/75 R17) on stock early Rubicon rims, air back up and drive anywhere from 20-40 miles back home and have yet to have a problem after 2-1/2 years, ~35,000 miles and maybe a couple dozen trail rides.

These tires tend to be on the heavy side, but that could work as an advantage in some off-road situations. I once considered getting a set of the earlier Mopar / Hutchinson beadlocks (which are a little more than twice as heavy as the stock Rubi rims if memory serves). You may want to look at some lighter tires for beadlocks, or screw it and explore the limits of the D30/D44s while building your ton axle fund :rock:

Treadwright supposedly ensures that all tires in a given order have matching carcasses. That is obviously a greater concern with their bead-to-bead tires, but there are almost certainly noticeable differences in the tires' inner surface from one brand to another. I checked my newest set carefully and did not see any differences.

I think there's a stigma associated with remolded tires that will never go away. That's OK by me because it helps keep the prices suppressed. Always chalk test your tires to find your optimum pressures, re-check them weekly, rotate etc. and they'll be as safe as any other tire.

Nice advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

So you can post your opinion about a garbage tire but he can't? Why's that?

This is literally a garbage tire. People throw their tires away and this company buys them and puts new tread on the outside. You don't reuse other people's toilet paper after they take a shit do you?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

swinler

No I have no affiliation to Treadwright or any other tire maker. I do wonder about the folks who are so quick to scream their opinions on a product for which they have never tried and have little to no useful knowledge.

Last edited:

swinler

Unless you have personal experience with these tires, or have some real data or "research" about these tires to contribute, why do you feel qualified to have a useful opinion on them? Looks to me like the OP was looking for relevant opinions based on actually having used the tires.

WJCO

Meme King
No I have no affiliation to Treadwright or any other tire maker. I do wonder about the folks who are so quick to scream their opinions on a product for which they have never tried and have little to no useful knowledge.

Unless you have personal experience with these tires, or have some real data or "research" about these tires to contribute, why do you feel qualified to have a useful opinion on them? Looks to me like the OP was looking for relevant opinions based on actually having used the tires.

We get it. You're a Treadwright fan.

Trail JK

Let's just bypass the all too common devolution of thread discussion into who can manage to "shout the loudest" on here. Bottom line is that there is risk involved in everything. Do your homework.

Personally enough experiences has been shared confirming the tires have failed. Also if this thread sounds and looks like others then it is logical to conclude that the risk is not worth the price.

Side note, you haven't earned any credibility here yet so I'd recommend you parking lot your attitude. Btw recommending shit products will not earn you said credibility.

Lastly, sorry about your tires. [emoji106]

Top Bottom