Death wobble

BaddestCross

There's a ton of discussion here on the forum... Search is your friend. Basically, start by making sure all your suspension components are torqued to spec and go from there.

Eezybreezy08

I think most folks find the track bar is the cause of it most of the time. I changed mine out just recently cause my stock track bar would have a good bit of bend to it. That fixed my problem

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Get under the Jeep and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth (not while engine is running) while you check all of the various rod ends, and even the ball joints. It should show up doing that. It may be just a slight amount of sloppiness. That little amount is what causes the oscillations to cascade into terror :eek:

Edit: Adding the larger tires is what exposed the bad joint(s) somewhere - they didn't actually cause the death wobble.

AlanCoderre

Is there anything different you added to your jeep? What were you doing prior to the wobble? I would start with like was said above by checking the ball joints and track bar. Most of the time this will fix the issue.

Kenthejeepguy

Hey there guys, I got death wobble today scared the hell out of me. Just wondering is there any reason why it happens, and is there a way to stop it?

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel using WAYALIFE mobile app

A good alignment, proper tire balancing, proper tire air pressure all helps. I have a 4" lift and have had parts get loose and even nuts fall off! So now I have it all inspected by my Jeep shop a couple times a year (it's quick and he does it for free).

I finally put a double-shock-type steering stabilizer on and it solved it for good.

WJCO

Meme King
A good alignment, proper tire balancing, proper tire air pressure all helps.

I finally put a double-shock-type steering stabilizer on and it solved it for good.

Welcome to Wayalife. None of this information is accurate.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A good alignment, proper tire balancing, proper tire air pressure all helps. I have a 4" lift and have had parts get loose and even nuts fall off! So now I have it all inspected by my Jeep shop a couple times a year (it's quick and he does it for free). I finally put a double-shock-type steering stabilizer on and it solved it for good.

That's great you have a shop that's willing to check your Jeep for free. Good maintenance is definitely something that will help keep a Jeep running well.

That being said, your double-shock-type steering stabilizer is only doing a good job of MASKING whatever problem you really have which is most likely a loose or worn out suspension and/or steering component.

JeepJeep75

A good alignment, proper tire balancing, proper tire air pressure all helps. I have a 4" lift and have had parts get loose and even nuts fall off! So now I have it all inspected by my Jeep shop a couple times a year (it's quick and he does it for free).

A steering stabilizer is just a bandaid. A properly set jeep front end doesn't even need a SS, no matter how big the tires are. You "fixed" your death-wobble by just covering it up. Trust me, it's still there. You really haven't solved anything, you just lightened up your wallet. Read through the Death Wobble tech post, and then read it again. Good luck to you sir!! [emoji106]

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug

fde303481dfa581fe093f7dcc6466caa.jpg

Kenthejeepguy

That's great you have a shop that's willing to check your Jeep for free. Good maintenance is definitely something that will help keep a Jeep running well.

That being said, your double-shock-type steering stabilizer is only doing a good job of MASKING whatever problem you really have which is most likely a loose or worn out suspension and/or steering component.

I had 8,000 miles on the vehicle when I went to the double shock system.

WJCO

Meme King

Steering stabilizers do not repair the cause of death wobble. They hide the problem by absorbing the forces. 2-3 years ago, I was in your position and was FULLY CONVINCED that a stabilizer fixed my death wobble. I was wrong. Death Wobble can only occur from a loose part.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Steering stabilizers to not repair the cause of death wobble. They hide the problem by absorbing the forces. 2-3 years ago, I was in your position and was FULLY CONVINCED that a stabilizer fixed my death wobble. I was wrong. Death Wobble can only occur from a loose part.
Yup! Masks it!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug

Wait a minute....

You had deathwobble after installing a lift.... on a vehicle with 8,000 miles.... yet you think it's a good idea to KEEP taking your Jeep back to the same place for them to do a "quick and free" inspection? Then you mask the problem (probably under the recommendation of them) to install a dual steering stabilizer?

Seems logical.............. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom