Clunking control arm

LasVegasJK

One of my lower front adjustable control arms is clunking.
Yes everything is tight.
Yes I have double triple checked the tightness.
Yes I have contacted the manufacturer. The reply was to check all the bolts to make sure they are tight. I responded with pictures and video and have not heard back from them.
Any idea?
Sounds like the clunk sound is coming from inside the control arm.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
J

JKDream

One of the joints likely has play and is causing the clunk regardless of how tight the bolts are. What brand are they?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Put a camera on it while you put jeep in drive and push the brake with your left foot and the gas with your right. If there's movement, it will show. Then do it in reverse. Are you sure it's in the control arm?

LasVegasJK

Put a camera on it while you put jeep in drive and push the brake with your left foot and the gas with your right. If there's movement, it will show. Then do it in reverse. Are you sure it's in the control arm?

I can lay under the jeep and make the sound happen with my hands.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
One of my lower front adjustable control arms is clunking.
Yes everything is tight.
Yes I have double triple checked the tightness.
Yes I have contacted the manufacturer. The reply was to check all the bolts to make sure they are tight. I responded with pictures and video and have not heard back from them.
Any idea?
Sounds like the clunk sound is coming from inside the control arm.

Is the cam nut fully tight in the video? I had the same problem with the cam but. Felt tight with hands but was able to turn it like an 1/4 with crescent wrench and the noise went away.

LasVegasJK

Is the cam nut fully tight in the video? I had the same problem with the cam but. Felt tight with hands but was able to turn it like an 1/4 with crescent wrench and the noise went away.

Yes. It is. That's what originally thought the issue was. But no variation of loosening, tightening, adjusting in or out seems to make a difference.
It's only the driver side. Passenger side, which is adjusted exactly the same, makes no noises whatsoever.

J

JKDream

Yes. It is. That's what originally thought the issue was. But no variation of loosening, tightening, adjusting in or out seems to make a difference.
It's only the driver side. Passenger side, which is adjusted exactly the same, makes no noises whatsoever.

Sounds like a worn rod end to me. Try swapping the end to the other control arm and see if the other side starts clunking.

** Also make sure your jam nut is REALLY tight. If it isn't, the rod end threaded section can clunk inside of the control arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom