Anybody drive older Jeep as commuter?

GraniteCrystal

We currently just have the Jeep (2014 JKUR). Would like to have a second car my wife could drive to work (highway miles, 30 min). I love the idea of an older Jeep (pre-TJ) but not sure how practical that'd be for that purpose. Thoughts?

black pearl

Hooked
We currently just have the Jeep (2014 JKUR). Would like to have a second car my wife could drive to work (highway miles, 30 min). I love the idea of an older Jeep (pre-TJ) but not sure how practical that'd be for that purpose. Thoughts?

My father in law commutes and hour each way in his 98 Sahara 2dr TJ seems to work well ... pre TJ would put you with leaf springs if I'm thinking about it right not that that's a bad thing

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

XJADDICTION

Banned
I drove the heck out of my YJ and enjoyed every minute of it. Downside is marginal AC, cardboard in grill for heat below 30*, loud, and nothing at all for safety (airbags, etc.) I only had a soft top, so maybe a hard top would be quieter and better heat. AC is basically to chill your knees. My CJ-8 was not a daily driver but was fun to drive. Interstate was ok, sprung over with some fat MT's for tires. AC like YJ, heat was worse.

The XJ Cherokees are awesome with I-6! The first gen cherokees with V-8 are sweet, second gen are too.

I just bought my daughter a 3rd gen GC with Hemi, now that thing is really nice.

There is my 2 cents

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I have a neighbor who drives a YJ everyday to and from work. I do see other YJ's and Cherokee Classics all the time parked at the same businesses day after day. Some are a little beat others are very nice and kept up.

WJCO

Meme King
Is this something she would want to mod or fix up later or just leave as is? If she wants to build it, get a Wrangler or an XJ. If not, buy a nice Grand Cherokee.

GraniteCrystal

Is this something she would want to mod or fix up later or just leave as is? If she wants to build it, get a Wrangler or an XJ. If not, buy a nice Grand Cherokee.
Not an offroad machine but would love to restore it to it's original beauty. Taken to the extreme, picture Calamity Jane.

black pearl

Hooked
Not an offroad machine but would love to restore it to it's original beauty. Taken to the extreme, picture Calamity Jane.

So your going to buy a commuter that's going to spend a bunch of time taken apart in the garage ? I can get behind that because the end result is always so rewarding! And you would end up with a badass reliable rig

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
My 97 TJ performed great for me off road last weekend and is running about 17 mpg highway right now (2.5 L 4cyl,3 spd automatic). I definitely want to invest in a YJ and build to be a commuter so for sure subscribing.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

buckweil

I have a 99 TJ that I daily. I got to my college classes which are about an hour away depending on speeds ;) lol. I love her. She only has 82k on her though but runs like brand new...okay maybe not that nice 😂😂

briand

I drive a CJ7 as a daily driver. I travel between 18 and 45 miles one way each day. The only thing I would have to say is that it is a little noisy and can be cold in the winter. There is none of the insulation to block out the road noise that the newer ones have. That being said, I love driving it every day.

Sent from the never ending trail

pop2tu

We bought my son a 98 XJ. It had 280,000 miles 2wd. The underside still has factory paint, undercoating, and no rust(California car). He drove it for 6 months. We just had engine rebuilt, a new (used) trans and transfer case gone through. Put a 4.5 rough country lift. With purchase price we have less than 4K into it. IMG_0227.JPG
Here is how it sits today. I say go for it, as long as you know there are days it will not be drivable.

Top Bottom