CJ5 vs CJ7

GraniteCrystal

Thinking about picking one up and restoring it to use as a second vehicle. The practicality of that is a different thread, but here I'm looking for opinions on which is better.

Focus on ease of restoration, availability and price of parts, historical reliability, etc. If I do this, I want to have it forever.

Bonus if you can tell me what to look for in a used one.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I'm a CJ5 guy however, the 7 is more plentiful in the newer models and you can get cool stuff like YJ half doors TJ flares and most important thing to me is the newer ones (5 or 7)get wide track axles. As far as which is easiest to get parts for, it doesn't matter. If you have a title, you can almost build an entire Jeep out of a catalog. Personally, I would look for one with a 304 V8, but the sixes are plentiful and cheaper. Oh, and your hard top and full door options are better too. I can't swear to it, but it seems like the 7's are easier to find if you need an automatic, I don't know if I've ever seen a 5 with one. :thinking:

GraniteCrystal

I'm a CJ5 guy however, the 7 is more plentiful in the newer models and you can get cool stuff like YJ half doors TJ flares and most important thing to me is the newer ones (5 or 7)get wide track axles. As far as which is easiest to get parts for, it doesn't matter. If you have a title, you can almost build an entire Jeep out of a catalog. Personally, I would look for one with a 304 V8, but the sixes are plentiful and cheaper. Oh, and your hard top and full door options are better too. I can't swear to it, but it seems like the 7's are easier to find if you need an automatic, I don't know if I've ever seen a 5 with one. :thinking:
I've read the 5 didn't even come in automatic so if you find one it's aftermarket. Not a deal breaker for me though since I can drive manual and it's a lot of fun.

buckweil

I've read the 5 didn't even come in automatic so if you find one it's aftermarket. Not a deal breaker for me though since I can drive manual and it's a lot of fun.
You are correct on that one. CJ5s were only manual which to me is pretty B.A. because manual is way better... back to the topic my dream Jeep is a CJ7 no particular reason just kinda fell in love with a CJ7 and haven't looked back. I would love to see another CJ build up here can't wait to see what happens!! Good luck!!

Jaybird 11

Caught the Bug
I have a 5. The 7s have more room to pack things with you and a little more leg room. Id look for rust first. They can be pretty bad somethimes. The older 5s like to break the frame behind the front axle rear spring hanger. Id just take my time and find the cleanest one to start with that you can.

Sent from my SM-G920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I've been looking at CJ-7s for the last month and a half. I'm looking at the 7 because of the slightly longer body. Would like to do a frame off restore over the next couple years with my son (I started my own thread). So far, because I'm in no hurry, I've been searching in the $4-5k range hoping to find a diamond in the rough. But in that range it seems nearly impossible to find one that doesn't need a tub or a lot of patch work. It's not difficult to find one with a frame that can be worked with. Everyone is correct in that there's no shortage of parts for these things. The $ you spend up front is really about how much work and time you want to put into it. They are out there anywhere from $5k (IMO close to the minimum you have to spend to get a decent foundation and drivetrain) to $20-25k fully restored ready to drive today. Ultimately I feel like I'm gonna wind up spending around $7-9k +/- to find one that has a lot of existing structure that can be worked with where I'm not overspending just to undo a lot of work that was already done. Restore the frame and body, paint, refresh or replace interior components etc....good luck with your search. We may be doing simultaneous restore threads. :beer:

GraniteCrystal

I've been looking at CJ-7s for the last month and a half. I'm looking at the 7 because of the slightly longer body. Would like to do a frame off restore over the next couple years with my son (I started my own thread). So far, because I'm in no hurry, I've been searching in the $4-5k range hoping to find a diamond in the rough. But in that range it seems nearly impossible to find one that doesn't need a tub or a lot of patch work. It's not difficult to find one with a frame that can be worked with. Everyone is correct in that there's no shortage of parts for these things. The $ you spend up front is really about how much work and time you want to put into it. They are out there anywhere from $5k (IMO close to the minimum you have to spend to get a decent foundation and drivetrain) to $20-25k fully restored ready to drive today. Ultimately I feel like I'm gonna wind up spending around $7-9k +/- to find one that has a lot of existing structure that can be worked with where I'm not overspending just to undo a lot of work that was already done. Restore the frame and body, paint, refresh or replace interior components etc....good luck with your search. We may be doing simultaneous restore threads. [emoji481]
So you've started a build thread for it already? What the link? Thanks for info on pricing; helps me set expectations

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^ no build thread yet... I was just inquiring about the CJ about a month ago in this sub-forum. I've also expanded my search fully expecting I may have to fly out and drive home if I find the RIGHT Jeep. Every time I search, I make sure to look in the SE US. For whatever reason they seem to be less expensive down there. There's a couple I've been really eager to see but the owners have been hit or miss trying to maintain contact.

Last edited:

Breer

Caught the Bug
I went with a CJ5. And Pre-AMC (71 and older). They were much more simple and being my first time doing anything like a restoration I needed simple. It has a light switch and a key on the dash, that's pretty much it. Manual brakes, manual steering... I will never get rid of it just like you said and I love it. It took me about 3 years to "finish" after paying $450 for it.

IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_2733.jpg

I do have some envy with the CJ7 or newer CJ's and how easy it is to find parts. If you go old, you really have to dig to find parts. It took me 6 months to track down some random guy on Craigslist across the country who was selling seat frames I needed... getting him to ship them was another story. The CJ5 has limited room. I'm 6'1 and I make it work but some people are not okay with the 5's smaller space.

Best advice on buying one I think is to look for one that Bubba hasn't gotten a hold of or is basically stock. That applies to any jeep for me. Once things are cut off or changed, it really makes it difficult. I didn't know a lot about Jeeps or CJ's when I decided to buy one, it was missing a lot of parts that I had to track down, if I knew what I know now, I would have passed on it.

If you find one your interested in post it up, with the older CJ's a lot of times people say it's something it isn't. Friend bought a "1971 CJ5" and it was actually a 1950's M38A1 frame with a 76+CJ5 body on it. So not 1 part was a 71 CJ5... there are little things that give the years away.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I went with a CJ5. And Pre-AMC (71 and older). They were much more simple and being my first time doing anything like a restoration I needed simple. It has a light switch and a key on the dash, that's pretty much it. Manual brakes, manual steering... I will never get rid of it just like you said and I love it. It took me about 3 years to "finish" after paying $450 for it.

View attachment 258886
View attachment 258885

I do have some envy with the CJ7 or newer CJ's and how easy it is to find parts. If you go old, you really have to dig to find parts. It took me 6 months to track down some random guy on Craigslist across the country who was selling seat frames I needed... getting him to ship them was another story. The CJ5 has limited room. I'm 6'1 and I make it work but some people are not okay with the 5's smaller space.

Best advice on buying one I think is to look for one that Bubba hasn't gotten a hold of or is basically stock. That applies to any jeep for me. Once things are cut off or changed, it really makes it difficult. I didn't know a lot about Jeeps or CJ's when I decided to buy one, it was missing a lot of parts that I had to track down, if I knew what I know now, I would have passed on it.

If you find one your interested in post it up, with the older CJ's a lot of times people say it's something it isn't. Friend bought a "1971 CJ5" and it was actually a 1950's M38A1 frame with a 76+CJ5 body on it. So not 1 part was a 71 CJ5... there are little things that give the years away.

Dude your CJ looks sweet! Love those steel wheels.

cashin

Look for jeeps with fewest previous owners.Pay attention to the wiring,under dash can be a rat's nest hacked up. As said earlier rust is the enemy.

Sent from my LG-P769 using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Thanks everyone. I've found a 1976 CJ7. Only two owners. This guy has had it since 1987. Original 258 engine in it. 168,192 miles. Thoughts?

Here is what he emailed me on it:
"Mechanically sound! Starts consistently. Original 258. I'm the second owner and have had it since 87'. Needs a gas gauge relay, though I've gone without it for about 4 years.

My no BS assessment is simple: great Jeep. Runs soundly and always has. Original engine. Recently serviced. Classic emissions tag. Top is great. New tires and wheels. New windshield.

The body(tub) would likely need replacement, depending on how much piece meal work one wants to do. My friends at High Octane Performance Cars, say it would be better to purchase a new tub than to cut out the rust cancer and body armor it.

The rust is why I'm not asking more, I know that it'll need body work, so I priced it accordingly."

Check it out or pass on it?

Screenshot_20170515-213409.png

holliewood61

The 7 can accommodate lift a little easier with 10" more wheelbase than a 76 or newer 5. 81 and later cj7's had the wide trac axles which the cj5 never got. A galvanized yj tub can be swapped onto a 7 relatively easily if rust is an issue. The 7 has more leg room and gut room if youre a bigger fella. Just about all parts will interchange between the 76 and newer 5 and 7 with the exception of the tub and roll bar. I would stay away from 73-75 cj5's. They are kind of odd ball years and body parts can be hard to find. Early 5's are getting harder to find parts for as well, and powertrain options are kinda pitiful. The 134 4cyl is gutless and was made up for with deep gears. My 60 tops out at about 45 mph in high gear. The odd fire buick 6cyl was a good little engine that made decent torque, but 3 spd with deep gears hamper it. Basically a 7 seems to be easier to live with based on space and drivetrain options. Followed by a 76 and up 5. Stay away from the gm iron duke 151 4 cyl in the later models if possible, they are pretty gutless as well.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
So to me the conundrum is this.....are you prepared to spend $4K on a new tub?? I think that's roughly what a omix-ada tub costs. If so just go find the best frame and drivetrain you can find for the cheapest $$ and get started. Make sure you determine if you want the wide track axles. If so as mentioned they started in either '81 or '82 (I think). If you spend the extra time finding a tub that can be worked with on an existing vehicle, chances are the frame will be in decent shape. If you plan to keep the original drivetrain, you should find several with different drivetrain combos and drive them and see what combo works best for you. I would think at a minimum you'd want 6cyl with a 4 speed. There are 5sp transmissions out there and also V8s depending on the model year. I've even seen rolling chassis with the frame, suspension and drivetrain ready to go just need the body....don't mind my rambling, I'm also learning as I go. So I'm just throwing out what I'm looking for to save myself some headaches. Your end goal for the vehicle may be entirely different than mine.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

For those of you with older Jeeps, do they need to pass an emissions test? Should I only look at ones where the owner knows it will pass?

cashin

Emission laws vary.Here in Utah it varies by witch county you live in. I bought a 1982 cj7 that passed the first year and failed the next.Can be a crapshoot with older jeeps.

GraniteCrystal

Emission laws vary.Here in Utah it varies by witch county you live in. I bought a 1982 cj7 that passed the first year and failed the next.Can be a crapshoot with older jeeps.

Just looked up my county and '81 and newer go every two years. Older than that and it's every year. Another reason to get an '82 or newer so I have the wide track axles and emissions every two years.

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I was checking the Denver area looking for ~$3k ones that may be candidates for you and may have found one for myself. It's closer to $8k though. I've been texting with him and hoping to get some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Top Bottom