Death wobble

dbarthle

Hey guys I have a 2005 Rubicon running a 2.5" lift. I've replaced all tie rods and tie rod ends, track bar, steering stabilizer and I'm still having issues when I hit bumps at high speeds. Thoughts? Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

10abadilla/jk

I'd honestly say it's going to be your lower ball joints especially if they are stock. If by some chance they are not. I'd say it might be your track bar frame side bushing shot.

Sent from my LG-H900 using WAYALIFE mobile app

ob_tj

I used to get death wobble really bad in my tj also. Like you I changed out and replaced a whole bunch of stuff. Only to still get it. As crazy as it may sound after I switched from 15s to 17s with new tires it was gone. Ask the guys at the shop and they said it could have been a balance thing. My tires had huge chunks missing and my wheels also had big areas of rock rash that could have been throwing it off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Stop throwing parts at it and find out what it is. Have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering parts and track bar. Especially watch the track bar ends. If they move, you could have wollowed out bolt holes. Check unit bearings, steering gear box, and pitman arm splines.

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
Stop throwing parts at it and find out what it is. Have someone turn the wheel while you watch the steering parts and track bar. Especially watch the track bar ends. If they move, you could have wollowed out bolt holes. Check unit bearings, steering gear box, and pitman arm splines.

I have the same problem on my daughters 2001 TJ and am in the process of replacing much of of the steering components, tie rod, ball joints, etc. They needed to be replaced anyway as they are all original. The steering box is leaking quite a bit, could this really be the culprit? What exactly should I be looking for in the gearbox?

XJADDICTION

Banned
Get her in the jeep and move the steering from lock to lock while engine running(watch out for the fan).

-Trac Bar loose?
-ball joints shot?
-caster off? ( that's an adjustable control arm fix)
- maybe tires and balance (look for packed mud behind the wheel)
- steering box mounts loose?
- play in steering box?
That about sums it up. I am sure others will add to it if necessary.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I have the same problem on my daughters 2001 TJ and am in the process of replacing much of of the steering components, tie rod, ball joints, etc. They needed to be replaced anyway as they are all original. The steering box is leaking quite a bit, could this really be the culprit? What exactly should I be looking for in the gearbox?

A leak won't cause death wobble but if sector shaft has play, that could. Watch it for rocking/popping while someone turns the wheel. The sector shaft is at the bottom of the gearbox and the pitman arm attaches to it.

Top Bottom