Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 Door JK Overland Build with Trailer

2 Door JK Overland Build with Trailer

Finally decided to start participating a little bit more on the forum. What better way to do that than start posting about the progress and plans for my JK?

So at this point I've had my JK for a little over 2 years. I came from driving a 1966 Mustang so the world of off-roading was completely new to me. The more I learn the more I want to do and the larger my plans got.

One day, after thinking I was satisfied for a little while I suddenly started day dreaming of an overland build. Now from what I've seen most of these are Unlimited's. I've always been interested in a military trailer fixed up for storage and a tent on top so that's the way I figure I'll compensate for the lack of space.

So to start it all off here's the earliest picture I have of my rig and what it is currently at. I hope some of you find this interesting and follow until I'm done. Can't wait to share my ideas.

BDF04219-F569-4020-87A6-61B51D56F910.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks good.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Good looking Jeep!

Very nice! I like the mods you have done so far!

And if any of you have started or have an overland style build of your own I'd love to get some ideas from you and see what you've done!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyBear View Post
    And if any of you have started or have an overland style build of your own I'd love to get some ideas from you and see what you've done!

This thread may be helpful: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...erlanding-Gear
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nothing but a Thing AZ Explorer's Avatar
    Build looks good. Will be interested in the trailer aspect as well when you get that far.

As far as trailers go, I'm assuming you're probably interested in acquiring an old military trailer and then restoring it? Do a search for M416 trailers. These are my personal favorite because they're much more friendly to tow than an M101 which are wider, longer and heavier.

There are auction sites out there that you can scour, but it's hit or miss whether you can find one in your state and one that's not beaten up too bad. Now's the time to brush up on your welding because you'll likely have to do some sheet metal replacement, but you can get creative here and think about how you want to store your gear inside.

Some upgrades you'll likely want to make are converting over to a 5x5 bolt pattern and losing the military tires. You'll also want to lose the pintile-style hitch and look at a 3-axis hitch instead. Same articulation, but far less noisy. Some of them are wired up as 24V so you'll likely want to convert that to a 12V so you can use your Jeep's stock trailer wiring.

I've been researching these forever, but haven't gotten as far as buying one. There are also some great companies out there you can purchase a new trailer from and get it fully customized. It really just depends on your wallet size and needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JK_Dave
    Some upgrades you'll likely want to make are converting over to 5x5 bolt pattern and lose the military tires.
    Thanks! I had looked into the 101's before but it's good to know I may want to look in another direction. My plan is to swap out the axles and run the same wheels and tires as the Jeep is. And if I'd be happy to have to weld anything. That's a skill I rarely get to use and I'll most likely end up over-building it. At least it won't fall apart!

Here's a few pictures I'm using to get a basis of what I want to do.

IMG_3321.JPG
    IMG_3320.JPG
    IMG_3319.JPG

I can't decide weather to go the camper route or fold out tent on top. The camper style would be good as a base camp type trailer. I would like to get where I'm going and unhook and explore a little bit. The tent, however, would let me use more storage, and I usually carry a lot of stuff I don't actually need.

Last edited by WR_Outlander; 05-16-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Nig rig and subscribed! Go 2 doors!

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    “Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace.”

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...
    Explore. Dream. Discover."

"Take a compass, because it's always awkward when you have to eat a friend."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast