VIDEO : DON'T DO THAT AGAIN - Flopping a TJ on Poison Spider Mesa

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's doesn't matter if you're new to the world of off roading or a long time seasoned veteran, rolling or flopping a Jeep is something that can happen to any one of us and more times than not, it's on a obstacle that we've done a hundred times before. On a recent trip to Moab, our good friend Dave Logan attempted to climb one such obstacle, a slick rock dome on the Poison Spider Mesa Trail and unfortunately, his number had finally come up. In this short clip, you'll get to see how he laid his TJ on it's side. Fortunately, everyone was okay and the only thing that really got hurt was a hard top and a bit of pride.

Big E INC

I always tell my wife as a Jeeper it's not a question of "if" I roll the Jeep it's a question of "when"... Nevr done it But I've seen some of the best have it happen.

Sent from my LG-H811 using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
Dang, glad they were ok, looks like he almost saved it actually. Hard tops can be fixed much easier than people. Like you said a constant reminder of what can happen when your out there, you just never know

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trail JK

Oh man, what a bummer. Glad to hear that everyone is okay and that there was minimal damage. From the video he didn't seem to see it coming. So many times you are looking at sky but I'm sure at some point he figured he was going over. Almost seemed like he was heavy in the back. Hope that is the last flop of the trip. Have fun and be safe out there.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow that's crazy! Glad everyone was ok. That could have been way more violent then it was

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt physically. Jeeps and pride can always be repaired with time. [emoji106]

FuriousDz

Wow, that is scary! Glad no one was hurt.
So what caused the flop, was it wheel base, speed, angle or something I'm not seeing? Like Trail JK said looks like he was back heavy

Basscat

Wow, that is scary! Glad no one was hurt.
So what caused the flop, was it wheel base, speed, angle or something I'm not seeing? Like Trail JK said looks like he was back heavy

All three but mostly wheelbase and speed. He'd likely been up that thing a million times and knew he couldn't walk it without slipping tires so he opted to drive up. This time the combination of just a hair too much speed with that short wheelbase and the front suspension wanting to pogo caused the front end to spring off the incline (TJs with lifts famous for that). The only way out of that would have been quick reverse and floor it. Easy to say. Hard to do.

Glad all are good and damage is minor. Get back out there and and do it again as soon as possible!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Andy5160

Hooked
Wow! The minute Cindy posted that shot in the Overtime thread it was clear something went wrong.
Glad everyone is safe !!!!

Top Bottom