04 Wrangler- Knocking Noise

abbs_v

I have a 04 Wrangler and I've been hearing a knock sound, and it sounds like it could be a lifter. It comes and goes a lot and I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing lol. But it does sound like it's coming from the rear engine area. I haven't been able to figure it out, if anyone has even an idea of what it could be that would be real helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Take a video of the sound. Depending on the noise If its internal to the engine you're looking at either a lifter, a piston skirt broke, or possibly rod bearings. To replace piston or lifters the head has to come off, rod bearings if not damaged you can just do underneath. Lifters are more of a tapping noise than a knock. If it's a knock piston skirts breaking are an extremely common problem with age.

Draconianwinter

Welcome to WAL. Hope it ends up nothing major. But knocking sounds can potentially become very expensive. Idk who you could go to up there but if you know a very good and vey honest mechanic they should be able to tel you what it is and about what it will cost to fix.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

abbs_v

Welcome to WAL. Hope it ends up nothing major. But knocking sounds can potentially become very expensive. Idk who you could go to up there but if you know a very good and vey honest mechanic they should be able to tel you what it is and about what it will cost to fix.

yeah I hope so, I was hoping it was Alittle easier and it could be something fixable at home but it seems like I should just have a mechanic check it out to be safe. Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

The thing I miss most about my cj7 was the simplicity under the hood. These new models, while I love my 16 jk, are so completely different. Things still work the same guile air mixture goes into the cylinder and gets ignited. The problem I have is that there is so much under the hood that it's nearly impossible to tell what may be causing a knock sound. Also deeper vs on the type of knocking sounds as well. Had a person come in one time complaining of a engine noise where I worked years ago. Myself and 5 others went through it and couldn't figure it out. So I stated looking under the hood and under the engine it turned out it was a broken engine mount. Never would have speed it if I hadn't decided to put pressure under the engine to see if it lifted up.

Top Bottom