JK Sport - For us non heavy duty rock crawlers - 44 dana front upgrade

I have a '13 sport with 33" tires, 3.5" lift and a rear locker. I'm thinking of putting a Dana 44 in the front but keeping the sport transfer case. I'm doing a little more rock crawling every year but don't expect to do the hard core stuff. Probably won't even do the Rubicon.

But would like more traction and wanted to know if this setup makes sense for a sport or if is really better to get a rubi transfer case. It's almost a daily driver and I hit the trails maybe 5 times a year and I'm getting older. Next tires I'll probably go up to 35" and keep the gears at 4.10s as I'm not a hot rod driver any more and prefer better gas mileage. Right now I getting up to 22 miles a gallon on a flat highway, just plain conservative driving.

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I have a '13 sport with 33" tires, 3.5" lift and a rear locker. I'm thinking of putting a Dana 44 in the front but keeping the sport transfer case. I'm doing a little more rock crawling every year but don't expect to do the hard core stuff. Probably won't even do the Rubicon.

But would like more traction and wanted to know if this setup makes sense for a sport or if is really better to get a rubi transfer case. It's almost a daily driver and I hit the trails maybe 5 times a year and I'm getting older. Next tires I'll probably go up to 35" and keep the gears at 4.10s as I'm not a hot rod driver any more and prefer better gas mileage. Right now I getting up to 22 miles a gallon on a flat highway, just plain conservative driving.

I'd do the front 44 and add the t-case later. Putting a Rubi case in won't affect your daily driveability or gas mileage at all but will significantly help on the trails.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mo0s3

But would like more traction and wanted to know if this setup makes sense for a sport or if is really better to get a rubi transfer case. It's almost a daily driver and I hit the trails maybe 5 times a year and I'm getting older. Next tires I'll probably go up to 35" and keep the gears at 4.10s as I'm not a hot rod driver any more and prefer better gas mileage. Right now I getting up to 22 miles a gallon on a flat highway just plain conservative driving.

You can make it through the Rubicon with gears 35" tires and your 30 you just have to be smart :) obviously going to the 44 will be awesome and make your rig more capable with stronger components and a front locker is always a plus :)

longarmwj

I'd do the front 44 and add the t-case later. Putting a Rubi case in won't affect your daily driveability or gas mileage at all but will significantly help on the trails.

Exactly what I was going to say. Throw in a PR44 geared to 4.88s, build the rear to match, and then down the road get the Rubi T-Case. That's what I plan to do with my sport.

What I'm trying to really ascertain if your not doing hard core rock crawling do you really need to have a rubi t case? Or since your upgrading is it better to go all the way?

mo0s3

What I'm trying to really ascertain if your not doing hard core rock crawling do you really need to have a rubi t case? Or since your upgrading is it better to go all the way?

I have the sport case in mine and i have done The Rubicon, every trail in souther california, John Bull, Holcomb Creek, dishpan Springs, defense Mine , los Coyotes, Corral Canyon , Calico Ghost town, johnson Valley, Cougar Buttes and I'm sure I'm missing a ton more. With that said I will be upgrading to a different case in the future. Point I'm trying to make is if you wheel smart you will be good. Am i saying it wont break ? Na, but that is the great thing about jeeps you can build as you go :) and my jeep is my Daily driver !

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I have the sport case in mine and i have done The Rubicon, every trail in souther california, John Bull, Holcomb Creek, dishpan Springs, defense Mine , los Coyotes, Corral Canyon , Calico Ghost town, johnson Valley, Cougar Buttes and I'm sure I'm missing a ton more. With that said I will be upgrading to a different case in the future. Point I'm trying to make is if you wheel smart you will be good. Am i saying it wont break ? Na, but that is the great thing about jeeps you can build as you go :) and my jeep is my Daily driver !

Like Moos3 said, you can definitely get by with the sport case just as he did. But I'm sure there was plenty of times on all those trails that were mentioned, it would've been great to be geared lower. Just sit back and wait for a good deal on a Rubi box and then jump on it.

mo0s3

Like Moos3 said, you can definitely get by with the sport case just as he did. But I'm sure there was plenty of times on all those trails that were mentioned, it would've been great to be geared lower. Just sit back and wait for a good deal on a Rubi box and then jump on it.

Agreed, the crawl ratio is so nice on the Rubi :)

jorgelrod

Hooked
I hardly Rock Crawl since the terrain here is mostly mud. I still went with a ProRock 44, I'm not sure if I'll change my T-Case unless a really good offer comes along, but, the upgrade to a 44 was definitely a good one...

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
If staying with 4.10's but moving to 35's the Rubi crawl ratio would be helpful for off road. But if you went 4.88's as suggested then based on the type of wheeling you say you will do, you would be fine I think, with the sport transfer case and definitely better off on the street when doing the daily thing.

Top Bottom