Rubicon Trail - Earlyish September

Buster3479

My wife and I are joining in on the Great Texas Exodus to Moab / Ouray the later part of September, and have planned to run all the way out west on a Coast to Coast trip first from Maryland to California. The Rubicon has been on my bucket list since we bought our rig and saw "Rubicon a Legendary Trail" 3 part series that same night. We're taking off the entire month of September, and plan on returning to work in the first few days of October. We're driving the rig from and to Maryland, no trailering.

We're somewhat flexible on time, ideally any block of time in the range of:

September 7th - 18th, and however long it takes to really enjoy the trail.
Is a 3 day block of time appropriate to camp, swim, etc. and really take in and enjoy this legendary trail?

I don't know the trail. Video, internet, and book research is all I have. We'd love to come have a great time with some WoLers that know the trail, can show us around, and wouldn't mind camping and enjoying the fall scenery with some East Coasters who want to have a good time. The month of September is a dream trip for us, and we'd like to leverage your knowledge, and share a great time with you!

Thank you! 0lllllll0

uberc4

We ran the trail 2 nights 3 days, which was more than enough time to hit everything. I would recommend pushing to Buck Island lake and camping there for a few days. Gorgeous lake!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Buster3479

Thank you all for the advice, please keep it coming.

Most importantly, who wants to come with us?
What dates in between September 7th-18th work for you?

dillard09

I possibly could be up for this, depending on work and some other things.

I could possible be down for another trip around then. We did it last year around the same time and caught it just rite. We went during the weekdays and literally seen like less than 10 rigs the whole time we were on the trail. Perfect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I could possible be down for another trip around then. We did it last year around the same time and caught it just rite. We went during the weekdays and literally seen like less than 10 rigs the whole time we were on the trail. Perfect!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sounds great. I was thinking a weekday run would be ideal, to avoid the crowds. Maybe Sunday - Tuesday. Takes a day to get up there

Brute

Hooked
Definitely camp at Buck Lake...and if you fish, get a 3-day license and bring an ultra light spinner or 5wt fly rod...

Plan on camping at Rubicon Springs...great place to swim and get the trail dust off

Buster3479

Thanks for the update. We'll definitely try to make that work. Hard set stop date for the Great Texas Exodus. Since I posted this, I have another friend from an old club I was in who we're planning on running the Rubicon with and will see if he can do the 17th-19th as well.

jkruiser

We ran the trail 2 nights 3 days, which was more than enough time to hit everything. I would recommend pushing to Buck Island lake and camping there for a few days. Gorgeous lake!

Planning for this bucket list trip on July 16-21, camping out at buck island Mon thru Wed, then getting a room on the last night...for good night's rest and hot shower. Head home Friday morning. Never been, so I'm looking forward to it!

Buster3479

Are you open to a couple more to join you, or do you have your group all set?

Definitely open. I'm trying to figure out if other people that have committed first outside of WAL can make the proposed dates. Also talking to my wife about plans for in between the Rubicon and the Great Texas Exodus. We have to arrive in Ouray the 22nd.

We wanted to run Big Bear, spend some time at Pismo Beach, Tahoe, Yosemite, possibly Death Valley, and hike a little in Arches. We could do most of that before the Rubicon, and fit a day in Arches right after before the Exodos starts. If our friends from our old club can make the proposed dates work, so will my wife and I

Seth

I am interested in possibly joining this run. I will subscribe to the thread and see what dates get confirmed.

Top Bottom