What Tie Rod? - Prorock 60 Front

Buster3479

My 60/60 Dynatrac Hardcore package came with a Powers and Sons (Yeti) tie rod sourced by Dynatrac. It's what they are including in the package.

Upon installing the axles, my wife and I were rather trepidatious about the tie rod's design. Lot's of stress risers, hard angles, and comically small components. Our first trip to Windrock Park bent the tie rod upward despite not remembering hitting anything with it or falling onto it. I'll probably remove and straighten it for now, but I'm in the market for something new.

A tape measure on the new tie rod, stud to stud compared to my old PR44 tie rod indicates the PR60 will use a 1-1/2" SHORTER tie rod (unexpected). Will the Currie tie rod get short enough, clear the pumpkin, and last a bit longer between bends? There is the older style Currie for $700, and the newer one for about $350. I'm assuming I want the older one if I can find it? I know a lot of people are running the original Currie on here, was there a special part number for a PR60 with the old knuckles?

Thanks

Last edited:

Buster3479

If you're able, I would recommend staying away from the yeti tie rod just because of how disrespectful their business practices are.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?34385-STEER-SMARTS-has-been-Removed-from-WAYALIFE

The other reason I want to replace it. Dynatrac includes it with the axle package so you're stuck with it. After their attempt to solicit free advertising, breaking the rules here and then my bending it, I have no desire to replace it with another of the same out of my pocket.

jeffd

Are you sure it is the power and sons TR? Dynatrac said they have not started shipping any of the Yeti tie rods yet or at least as of last week they had not. Maybe a photo or two would help figure it out.

Buster3479

Pretty sure but not positive. Steve said it would be when I ordered the axles, and it's similar to the tie rods I'm familiar with from Powers and Sons.

IMG_6233_Compressed.jpg
IMG_6231_compressed.jpg

Last edited:

Buster3479

Editted: My memory is too fuzzy on the subject of my faulty engineering experience, and this company's shady business practices are enough reason not to buy from them

Last edited:

tgoss

I'm going to run Evo's hi-steer set up on my PR60.... My tie rod that came with my package is completely unused and worthless to me if you need it.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Before you ask.... this was on my PR44. I could have cut off the excess stud, but should I have to? Also, the studs didn't seat in the knuckles properly. Torque them to 63ft-lb, then remove nut, and pull them out by hand. Every other stud I've ever removed from that exact knuckle needs banged out after being torqued. Their taper was wrong. I uploaded these from a folder on my hard drive I title "Yeti sucks".

View attachment 260041

View attachment 260042

View attachment 260043

Is that the rod installed backwards? I have the same set up and don't have these issues.

Buster3479

Is that the rod installed backwards? I have the same set up and don't have these issues.

It's been over a year, and my memory is fuzzy. I think I took that picture because it showed the clash clearly without having to steer up against the stops. Nonetheless, it's not clear and I'll go back and edit the original posts. Their shady business practices should be enough reason not to buy from them.

Buster3479

I'm going to run Evo's hi-steer set up on my PR60.... My tie rod that came with my package is completely unused and worthless to me if you need it.

Thanks for the offer, but I"m going to try and find a more reputable company's setup to run. What was involved in the EVO high steer setup? Just looking at it when I cycled my suspension I expect Id have to notch my frame to gain full articulation.

tgoss

Thanks for the offer, but I"m going to try and find a more reputable company's setup to run. What was involved in the EVO high steer setup? Just looking at it when I cycled my suspension I expect Id have to notch my frame to gain full articulation.

Well as of right now all I know is I bought the evo kit which includes the drag link, tie rod and ram assist skids. Then found out later I had to buy dynatrac hi steer arms which was a lovely discovery. I'm certain looking at every other rig running the kit with a PR60 I'll end up having Evo notch the frame as well.

I wish I would have tried to run my fusion 4x4 set up I was running with my old PR44. Even they make a D60 tie rod for the UD60 I'm sure I could have bought and made work if mine was too short. I LOVED that set up.

The hi steer kit with the steering arms and the very probable frame notch has not been the most financially sound move for my build but everyone who runs it has NO issues with steering components or damage so in the end it's piece of mind.

Buster3479

Well as of right now all I know is I bought the evo kit which includes the drag link, tie rod and ram assist skids. Then found out later I had to buy dynatrac hi steer arms which was a lovely discovery. I'm certain looking at every other rig running the kit with a PR60 I'll end up having Evo notch the frame as well.

I wish I would have tried to run my fusion 4x4 set up I was running with my old PR44. Even they make a D60 tie rod for the UD60 I'm sure I could have bought and made work if mine was too short. I LOVED that set up.

The hi steer kit with the steering arms and the very probable frame notch has not been the most financially sound move for my build but everyone who runs it has NO issues with steering components or damage so in the end it's piece of mind.

The adjusted tie rod on my PR60 is about 2-7/8" shorter than the adjusted tie rod on my PR44. There aren't enough threads to take that much out of the Fusion setup. I'm going out in the shop tonight to measure, and will be either be ordering a Currie setup that fits, or Fusion custom setup this week.

I should just learn to pick better lines and keep the tie rod off of things! /facepalm

2011jk

Just a FYI for those wanting Evo's kit on a PR60-XD60 you can order the axle with both the EVO spec high steer arms.

tgoss

Just a FYI for those wanting Evo's kit on a PR60-XD60 you can order the axle with both the EVO spec high steer arms.

Well in the "hardcore package" You can't spec anything other than what they offer - gear ratio and locker selection.

You can obviously add the high steer arms and dynaloc hubs which I did, but I didn't get a credit for anything on my axle set... The price was the price everything else was additional and they were kind enough to install for free.

And for the XD60, the new 1550 knuckle they have as standard has the arms cast in so they are all set if you are going to run the high steer set up.

2011jk

OOPs you may be correct for the Aluminum Knuckles and the package axle sets, I have never ordered the package just the axles separately.

Last edited:

tgoss

OOPs you may be correct for the Aluminum Knuckles and the package axle sets, I have never ordered the package just the axles separately.

Yeah it was very specific when I ordered the package from Steve. I couldn't even get them to just leave the suspension brackets off the axles which you would think less labor and materials for them would be a no brainer.

Buster3479

I think I'm going to have to give up, break down, and get EVO to install the high steer kit when we drive across country from MD prior to running the Rubicon.

I bend this tie rod every single tie we go out, even when I'm trying to pick better lines and wary of it. It hangs really low and is super thin, visually thinner than my stock tie rod with more exposed length tie rod ends. I've bent the tie rod or tie rod end 5x in 3 wheeling trips now. I'm also about ready to add a ram, and realized the ram will hang below the tie rod and axle tube with the bracketry Dynatrac included. I know part of the issue is our wheeling in rocky dry creek beds and ledges in PA, but the tie rod, tie rod location, and ram location is unsuitable for our wheeling style

My wife and I love the axles, but wish they would have put the tie rod geometry on these package 60's in a place more suitable for our wheeling. Anyone else running into the same issues, or am I just that bad at picking lines?

Journeyman

I think I'm going to have to give up, break down, and get EVO to install the high steer kit when we drive across country from MD prior to running the Rubicon.

I bend this tie rod every single tie we go out, even when I'm trying to pick better lines and wary of it. It hangs really low and is super thin, visually thinner than my stock tie rod with more exposed length tie rod ends. I've bent the tie rod or tie rod end 5x in 3 wheeling trips now. I'm also about ready to add a ram, and realized the ram will hang below the tie rod and axle tube with the bracketry Dynatrac included. I know part of the issue is our wheeling in rocky dry creek beds and ledges in PA, but the tie rod, tie rod location, and ram location is unsuitable for our wheeling style

My wife and I love the axles, but wish they would have put the tie rod geometry on these package 60's in a place more suitable for our wheeling. Anyone else running into the same issues, or am I just that bad at picking lines?

I'm not sure you can get the high steer from evo. I was told that's specific to their double throw down. But you could build or have one built with heims and drill your knuckles out to flip your tie rod.

Top Bottom