loud clicking noise behind glove box

lamo8282

Hello, I've seen a few post on others having a clicking noise and problems with their heat or air, but mine is fine. There is just a loud clicking noise behind the glove box for about 10 seconds when i start my jeep and then it happens randomly when driving. I took the glove box off and can see a white door that goes up and down and is making this noise. I think its called a blend door or recirculation door. Its not totally engaging. Its driving me crazy does anyone know how to fix this.

WJCO

Meme King
Welcome to Wayalife. You need to see if the door itself is broken where it hinges to the housing, or if the actuator has failed and is causing it to constantly move rather than keep it open. Most of the time, the actuator ends up being the issue.

lamo8282

Thanks WJCO, I've seen on other posts that it might be the actuator but wasn't sure because i wasn't having any problem with the heat or air like the others. I don't see anything broken so I'm gonna give it a try and change the actuator. Thanks again WJCO, I'll let you know if it works.

lamo8282

actuator

Finally got the actuator in the mail. Took just a few minutes to change. Clicking noise is still there. I recalibrated by removing the IOD and going through the steps. Anyone have any idea what else it could be?

jeeeep

Hooked
Are you sure it's not the blower fan?
Noise travels when the blower bearings are going out it clicks at random depending on how fast or how slow it's spinning.
It's not that difficult to remove. you can spin the fan by hand you might be able to feel if the bearings are shot.
I hooked mine up to an extra battery I had and once it's spun up I could hear the clicking

lamo8282

When the recirculation door opens and reaches the top it starts to click. I looked on both sides and doesn't look like anything is broken. Actually the clicking is worse now that I replaced the actuator.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
When the recirculation door opens and reaches the top it starts to click. I looked on both sides and doesn't look like anything is broken. Actually the clicking is worse now that I replaced the actuator.

The clicking is probably the plastic gear of the blend door and linkage jumping teeth. My guess is that the door movement is restricted for some reason. The good news is that the clicking will go away on its own. The bad news is that as the clicking dissipates the door will eventually stop moving all together (ok, really no good news here!).

Here is a couple of shots of my damaged blend door from our 2011 Liberty:

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

As you can see the plastic gear teeth are damaged. It clicked for awhile until it completely failed in the open position during the middle of winter.

The door its self is not replaceable. You have to buy and replace the entire air distribution housing which cost $200+ and it's a pretty big job as you need to pull the console, dash and heater core:

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

The dealership quoted around $1,200 parts and labor. It ended up costing me about $300, but it took a solid 15 hours or so to complete.

lamo8282

I also just replaced the actuator on the driver side under the steering wheel. How do you get the white plastic arm back in the right position ?

Wyattl

Any update?

Mine just started the same exact issue. White door behind the glovebox is clicking when it moves. Looks like I may have to replace the whole fan/housing. This is a huge job, any update on yours? Looking for an easier fix.

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Funny, I’ve been having this damned clicking sound for about a year. First thing that happened was my rear defroster light would blink for 30 secs to a min (there’s a thread on that here somewhere). After a year and a half of not fixing that, that’s when the stupid clicking sound started anytime I unlock the Jeep. As soon as it gets power, it’ll click for a good 20-40 secs. It sounds like it’s coming from the steering wheel side. Loud as hell. I haven’t moved my air vents in forever because they got all jacked up for I’m assuming has to do with the defroster light. just havent gotten around to wanting to do it. Sucks cause summers right around the corner again. :sigh:

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jg17

Jeep clicking noise

I know this is a old thread but I just fixed the noise on my Jeep by installing cabin air filters what I figured out was the recirculating door thing closes and the motor tries to keep pushing it down but with the cabin air filters the recirculating door closes on them and it doesn’t make that noise I turned the ac on and off 10 times and took it for a drive and it didn’t make the noise so hopefully this helps you guys it takes like 2 mins to install.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I know this is a old thread but I just fixed the noise on my Jeep by installing cabin air filters what I figured out was the recirculating door thing closes and the motor tries to keep pushing it down but with the cabin air filters the recirculating door closes on them and it doesn’t make that noise I turned the ac on and off 10 times and took it for a drive and it didn’t make the noise so hopefully this helps you guys it takes like 2 mins to install.

Been there, done that, didn’t work. Welcome to Wayalife.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom