Can't decide 4.88 vs 5.13 with 35s on Dana 30

lesterjanpearson

So I read a bunch forums but still undecided. I am running nitto 35s with 20x12 on my sport 2016 A/T on Dana 30, sorry not 33 typo, planning to maybe change to 37s someday.

I spend most of the time on pavement/highways until weekends. im still on stock gears with my sport 2016. getting annoyed

with the constant downshift. Suggestions would be nice. should I go 4.88 vs 5.13? I trust this forum so much. so I better hear

out people here.

Last edited:

madstiles

4.88 max ! You don't won't to go 5.13 your ring gear will be to small and become a weak link assuming you have a dana 30 (post says dana 33?) And haven't upgraded your front axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
4.88 max ! You don't won't to go 5.13 your ring gear will be to small and become a weak link assuming you have a dana 30 (post says dana 33?) And haven't upgraded your front axle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry typo. fixed the post but can edit the title.

Pinion... The PINION will be dangerously small...

for a D30, 4.88 is really the deepest logical gear choice.

AdrockTT

Pinion a real concern...but also!
W 35's on the highway and 5.13s you'll be spinning the crap out of your drivetrain to go 70+MPH. Unless you trailer this thing, I wouldn't advise 5.13s on 35s as RPMs will be really high. Can't imagine the transfer case and other rotating components like this long term...

J

JKDream

Pinion a real concern...but also!
W 35's on the highway and 5.13s you'll be spinning the crap out of your drivetrain to go 70+MPH. Unless you trailer this thing, I wouldn't advise 5.13s on 35s as RPMs will be really high. Can't imagine the transfer case and other rotating components like this long term...

The difference between 5:13's and 35's and 37's is like 200 rpm. His drivetrain wouldn't suddenly fall apart lol.
To the OP - I did 35's and 5:13's for quite awhile, while I had a lot of power it did feel overgeared.
I also feel overgeared on 37's though. I would be considering either 4:56 or 4:88 - not 4:88 - 5:13.

You likely have 3:21's, so even 4:56 is a substantial upgrade.

5:13's are weak on a Dana 30 - that is quite known. Have people done it? Yes.
It all depends on your driving style. I would strip the ring gear within a couple trips, you might not, who knows.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The difference between 5:13's and 35's and 37's is like 200 rpm. His drivetrain wouldn't suddenly fall apart lol.
To the OP - I did 35's and 5:13's for quite awhile, while I had a lot of power it did feel overgeared.
I also feel overgeared on 37's though. I would be considering either 4:56 or 4:88 - not 4:88 - 5:13.

It all depends on your driving style. I would strip the ring gear within a couple trips, you might not, who knows.

That's a matter of opinion. I'm running 4.88 in a 2014 auto on 35s. Can I run 37s? Yes. I'd rather have 5.13 with 37s, though, and no way would I want 4.56 for either tire.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AdrockTT

I did not imply it is going to implode or something, but I do think there's driveline stress, less efficiency, and in general it's just too deeply geared for a 3.6L on 35s (unknown to what degree they're worn, what they measure out to, etc.) and 5.13s if you plan any highway time.

For the record - I run 5.13s with 40s...RPMs at 75 are prob 2700ish. I will have to look at exact numbers on my tuner next trip.

J

JKDream

That's a matter of opinion. I'm running 4.88 in a 2014 auto on 35s. Can I run 37s? Yes. I'd rather have 5.13 with 37s, though, and no way would I want 4.56 for either tire.

Correct, it is. I have personally run all three gear sets on both tire sizes with an auto. They're all doable, and an upgrade regardless.
I do quite a bit of highway miles out to trails, and everywhere in between (my JK is a daily as well currently).
5:13 is more of a performance gear set in MY opinion. I would rather be running 4:88 right now.

I did not imply it is going to implode or something, but I do think there's driveline stress, less efficiency, and in general it's just too deeply geared for a 3.6L on 35s (unknown to what degree they're worn, what they measure out to, etc.) and 5.13s if you plan any highway time.

For the record - I run 5.13s with 40s...RPMs at 75 are prob 2700ish. I will have to look at exact numbers on my tuner next trip.

That's odd, because I have the same RPM's as you with 37s. 5:13's and 35's I was around ~3000 at 70mph, which really isn't bad.
My motor/transmission didn't feel strained at all, if anything it ran better and less sluggish than it did with any other gear set.
This is all heresay though, because personally I wouldn't run that gearset on a Dana 30, I would still recommend 4:56 or 4:88.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
So I read a bunch forums but still undecided. I am running nitto 35s with 20x12 on my sport 2016 A/T on Dana 30, sorry not 33 typo, planning to maybe change to 37s someday.

I spend most of the time on pavement/highways until weekends. im still on stock gears with my sport 2016. getting annoyed

with the constant downshift. Suggestions would be nice. should I go 4.88 vs 5.13? I trust this forum so much. so I better hear

out people here.

Ultimately, if you are keeping the Dana 30, then weld on C-gussets, gear to probably 4.88, & run it until it breaks.

Top Bottom