Lift for a 2017 JKUR with 285/75R17

luckyrugger

Okay, I'm upgrading from my 2012 JKUR to a 2017 JKUR, and plan to put a lift, wheels and tires on right away. The 2017 is on order, I'm expecting late June for delivery.

I really like the 285/75R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I have Duratracs on the current Jeep and have no complaints about those, great in the snow, rain, trail and dry pavement. I prefer a narrower tire that's why I'm looking at the Ridge Grapplers.

Anyone think these are a bad choice of tire or size?

Next is what lift, I've researched everything from BB to Coilovers. This Jeep will be driven 90% of the time on the road, 8% Expedition and 2% technical trails/off-road parks with some shallow water crossings, logging roads, rocks, etc. Right now I'm comparing RK 2.5" Expedition to MetalCloak 2.5" Game Changer. Are these kits complete (except shocks)? Is it overkill? Should I look at another brand?

I'd like something that has near or better than stock road manners, can handle the future weight of bumpers and a winch, and does a good job off-road with good clearance.

I'm a frugal person, but that doesn't mean I'm cheap. I'd rather spend money doing it right the first time than waste my money "upgrading" it overtime or learning as I go.

Also any recommendation for shocks too would be good. I'm leaning towards Ranch 9000XL shocks.

Thanks in advanced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BaddestCross

You can run that size with no lift. If it were me, I'd just go with an EVO or Rancho leveling kit for a couple hundred bucks and call it a day.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yup, leveling kit with coils and shocks. Put spidertrax spacers on the stock wheels and run your 285's.

You can't go wrong with rancho 9000's.

2.5 is great for 35's.

luckyrugger

From what I understand Nitto tires run pretty true to size, so I thought those would be close to 34".

Are there any 35" tires that are narrower than 12"?

BaddestCross

From what I understand Nitto tires run pretty true to size, so I thought those would be close to 34".

Are there any 35" tires that are narrower than 12"?

285s are metric 33s. My last set measured under 32"... Not sure how Nitto 285s measure up.

WJCO

Meme King
My wife's running 285/70R17 on the JKU with no lift, just trimmed fenders. We actually just went out a few hours ago and there was one pretty rocky section that I thought for sure my wife's Jeep would rub on. It didn't, not a sound, even cleared the belly. She said tires didn't rub either. Granted 75s will be taller than 70s (75 series will be a tall 33), but just saying, you may be able to get away with it without a lift. If anything a BB should be just fine.

SilverBack

I have a 15 JKUR Hard Rock, running the 285/75R17 Ridge Grappler, EVO leveling kit and 1.5 wheel spacers.LOVE the set up! However, you will get a little flare rub which a heavy vehicle at full flex. Nothing on sheet metal or control arms. I'm adding bump stops in the future.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app IMG_9549.jpg IMG_9550.jpg

luckyrugger

I have a 15 JKUR Hard Rock, running the 285/75R17 Ridge Grappler, EVO leveling kit and 1.5 wheel spacers.LOVE the set up! However, you will get a little flare rub which a heavy vehicle at full flex. Nothing on sheet metal or control arms. I'm adding bump stops in the future.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app View attachment 261230 View attachment 261231

Does your tires stick out past your fenders? Also, put a tape measure on those tires at 30psi and let me know how tall they are.

SilverBack

Does your tires stick out past your fenders? Also, put a tape measure on those tires at 30psi and let me know how tall they are.

The tread is covered by the flares but the sidewall stick out just a hair. They measure 33.10" at 30psi. Love the tires! Great in snow, slush, ice mud, dirt, rain and dry. Also have very good traction on the rocks dry or wet. Very quiet compared to the stock KMs.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Now I'm thinking I might go with a "35" tire since they all seem to run so small.

Yup, a 315/70R17 duratrac measured 33.75" top to bottom on the jeep. Those are called "35's". You need a 2.5-3 inch lift to clear with room for articulation.

SilverBack

Now I'm thinking I might go with a "35" tire since they all seem to run so small.

You only get a little more than 1/2" in overall hight and an inch wider. For me it wasn't worth the need to go bigger on the lift until I could make the jump to 37s or bigger with axles and all. Plus my is a DD and in Europe at the moment so couldn't go too big. Best of luck!

luckyrugger

You only get a little more than 1/2" in overall hight and an inch wider. For me it wasn't worth the need to go bigger on the lift until I could make the jump to 37s or bigger with axles and all. Plus my is a DD and in Europe at the moment so couldn't go too big. Best of luck!

Thanks for the input, your pic makes me think I could go a little higher and it wouldn't look bad with a lot of gap.

luckyrugger

Back to my original question, what brand lift should I look at? I'm thinking a 2-2.5" lift, what should I look for in a lift? Should I get all new controls arms for that size lift?

BaddestCross

Back to my original question, what brand lift should I look at? I'm thinking a 2-2.5" lift, what should I look for in a lift? Should I get all new controls arms for that size lift?

The new Rancho 2" Sport lift looks pretty good and will probably net more than 2" on a 2-door (but you probably should confirm with Rancho). I Frankensteined my lift together with EVO 2" plush ride springs in the front and OME springs in the rear and netted about 2.5" but my 2 door is heavy.

20170527_163642.jpg

You don't really need control arms until you go over 3" on a 2-door so you can save some cash and piece it together as you go so you can get the parts you want when you're ready.

ZeMax

Question for you guys claiming no issues. Is that disconnected at full flex and still using factory flares or did you cut them ?

Top Bottom