GPS Vehicle Tracking systems

g00se04

My jeep is getting on up there in value with all the aftermarket upgrades that have been added to it over the years. It seems more and more on facebook I am seeing people's rigs or tow rigs being stolen which has me thinking of getting a vehicle gps tracking unit.

Does anybody have any recommendations or experience?

I found something like this https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=129

jesse3638

Hooked
I've heard a lot of advertising for those Tile trackers. Not sure how they work but if you can put them on your key ring I can imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hide it some place on you Jeep.

Mediumsizetony

I'm currently using ez fleet tracking in over 70 trucks/heavy equipment at the company I work for . im the fleet maintenance manager. And idhave to say that it works amazingly . You can set Geo fences you can set off hour start time start times if anything happens in between the times you set you can get either text message or if the jeep moves at all even a foot. On or off You can get a text..we actually had a rash of break-ins and recovered some stolen equipment by placing a GPS hooked up to a battery in a backpack blower that let us to find all of our stolen stuff about 3 towns away... I received a text at 3 am saying the blower was traveling @60 mph down the highway called the police and they nabbed the guy ..... also super small Smaller than a deck of cards and only 3 wire install power ,ground and ignition

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

helhelen

Banned
My jeep is getting on up there in value with all the aftermarket upgrades that have been added to it over the years. It seems more and more on facebook I am seeing people's rigs or tow rigs being stolen which has me thinking of getting a vehicle gps tracking unit.

Does anybody have any recommendations or experience?

I found something like this https://www.gearhunder.com/best-gps-tracker-for-car/

My mom is a popular car hidden GPS trackers. They are fixed by magnets and positioned with the help of Google Maps, which have good water resistance. What I have is my mom and the real-time tracking updates are fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
My mom is a popular car hidden GPS trackers. They are fixed by magnets and positioned with the help of Google Maps, which have good water resistance. What I have is my mom and the real-time tracking updates are fast.

Do you have anything else on your Jeep, besides a gps tracker? Give us a wave, and post up a pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Noble Woodsman

I wonder how hard it would be to wire in a kill switch to disable the starter, and then locate the kill switch someplace hidden. It would probably be more reliable than a gps tracker, since a cheap signal jammer will disable any tracker, but no thief is going to spend the time troubleshooting the ignition circuit. Just thinking out loud...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I wonder how hard it would be to wire in a kill switch to disable the starter, and then locate the kill switch someplace hidden. It would probably be more reliable than a gps tracker, since a cheap signal jammer will disable any tracker, but no thief is going to spend the time troubleshooting the ignition circuit. Just thinking out loud...

I don’t think your average auto thief is Nicholas Cage using any sort of fancy equipment. It’s Johnny the Common Crackhead. I’d rather locate my vehicle via GPS and have hopes of catching the thief than shutting down the ignition on a Bay Area freeway and causing a 10 car pileup. Just my opinion.

Noble Woodsman

I don’t think your average auto thief is Nicholas Cage using any sort of fancy equipment. It’s Johnny the Common Crackhead. I’d rather locate my vehicle via GPS and have hopes of catching the thief than shutting down the ignition on a Bay Area freeway and causing a 10 car pileup. Just my opinion.

That may be true, but regardless of the type of thief, i would rather my rig not move in the first place than to have to track it down by gps only to find it totaled from a joy ride, already disassembled at a chop shop, or somewhere across the border.

Jamming gps is not as expensive or sophisticated as you might think, and it is far simpler than circumventing encrypted key fobs and such. A simple jammer can be had for as little as $60, (example: http://www.jammerall.com/products/Mini-GPS-jammer-for-Car.html ) and any 15 year old proficient with computers or electronics can build a jammer themselves. Anyone attempting grand theft auto would be idiotic to not invest in a jammer given the prominence of lojack, onstar, etc. these days.

As for shutting down on the highway, that seems improbable if the switch was wired between the battery and starter. The switch would control a high amperage relay that would disconnect the high current circuit powering the starter motor. This would not interfere with low voltage circuits (PDM or canbus), and if it did fail, it would only cause the vehicle to not start - not stall on the highway like a true kill switch.

This mod is much less complicated than something like an engine swap that folks routinely do on this forum (and in my opinion, probably less likely to leave you stranded), so it should be comparatively easy to do a starter switch properly. Plus, a starter switch does not require a data plan subscription. Of course, having both a starter switch and gps would be ideal.

fiend

Caught the Bug
That may be true, but regardless of the type of thief, i would rather my rig not move in the first place than to have to track it down by gps only to find it totaled from a joy ride, already disassembled at a chop shop, or somewhere across the border.

Jamming gps is not as expensive or sophisticated as you might think, and it is far simpler than circumventing encrypted key fobs and such. A simple jammer can be had for as little as $60, (example: http://www.jammerall.com/products/Mini-GPS-jammer-for-Car.html ) and any 15 year old proficient with computers or electronics can build a jammer themselves. Anyone attempting grand theft auto would be idiotic to not invest in a jammer given the prominence of lojack, onstar, etc. these days.

As for shutting down on the highway, that seems improbable if the switch was wired between the battery and starter. The switch would control a high amperage relay that would disconnect the high current circuit powering the starter motor. This would not interfere with low voltage circuits (PDM or canbus), and if it did fail, it would only cause the vehicle to not start - not stall on the highway like a true kill switch.

This mod is much less complicated than something like an engine swap that folks routinely do on this forum (and in my opinion, probably less likely to leave you stranded), so it should be comparatively easy to do a starter switch properly. Plus, a starter switch does not require a data plan subscription. Of course, having both a starter switch and gps would be ideal.

Sounds like you’ve just laid out your side hustle. Etsy beckons ...

TrailHunter

Hooked

Just get Ravelco.

Top Bottom