Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GPS Vehicle Tracking systems

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Just get insurance.

Jeeps just as easily stolen with a trailer...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
    True... Alarm, GPS, Kill Switch.... It's really whatever helps you sleep at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Woodsman View Post
    As for shutting down on the highway, that seems improbable if the switch was wired between the battery and starter. The switch would control a high amperage relay that would disconnect the high current circuit powering the starter motor. This would not interfere with low voltage circuits (PDM or canbus), and if it did fail, it would only cause the vehicle to not start - not stall on the highway like a true kill switch.

This mod is much less complicated than something like an engine swap that folks routinely do on this forum (and in my opinion, probably less likely to leave you stranded), so it should be comparatively easy to do a starter switch properly. Plus, a starter switch does not require a data plan subscription. Of course, having both a starter switch and gps would be ideal.

You should stick to chemistry.

A basic car alarm/immobiliser is more sophisticated than what you’re suggesting.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd.gunman View Post

A basic car alarm/immobiliser is more sophisticated than what you’re suggesting.

Not sure what part of my post you're referring to. i agree that to circumvent onstar or other immobilizer systems that more than a signal jammer would be needed, but the scope of the discussion is aftermarket gps trackers, not commercial immobilizers. If you mean that installing a starter switch would be more complicated than what i propose, please elaborate.

tenor.gif............
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

But insurance wont cover the cost of all the upgrades, right? Wont they just pay for a new stock vehicle (if that)?

Have to have your insurance set up right. Mine is insured for model year newer + 10k in “accessories”/“modifications”

Knows a Thing or Two Seahawkfan's Avatar
    That may be true, but regardless of the type of thief, i would rather my rig not move in the first place than to have to track it down by gps only to find it totaled from a joy ride, already disassembled at a chop shop, or somewhere across the border.

Jamming gps is not as expensive or sophisticated as you might think, and it is far simpler than circumventing encrypted key fobs and such. A simple jammer can be had for as little as $60, (example: http://www.jammerall.com/products/Mi...r-for-Car.html ) and any 15 year old proficient with computers or electronics can build a jammer themselves. Anyone attempting grand theft auto would be idiotic to not invest in a jammer given the prominence of lojack, onstar, etc. these days.

As for shutting down on the highway, that seems improbable if the switch was wired between the battery and starter. The switch would control a high amperage relay that would disconnect the high current circuit powering the starter motor. This would not interfere with low voltage circuits (PDM or canbus), and if it did fail, it would only cause the vehicle to not start - not stall on the highway like a true kill switch.

This mod is much less complicated than something like an engine swap that folks routinely do on this forum (and in my opinion, probably less likely to leave you stranded), so it should be comparatively easy to do a starter switch properly. Plus, a starter switch does not require a data plan subscription. Of course, having both a starter switch and gps would be ideal.

You're kind of Big Bang Theory without the funny!! Are you on the Popular Mechanics Forum as well.

Hooked
    Hi,

I dont know If Bearlock is known in the US. Its a type of transmission lock. There are some safety features so the thief cant unbolt or deactivate the bear lock.

https://www.bear-lock.de/produkte/su...e-category=gsp

I have this in my JK. I know some people who have this also installed and there jk were tried to get stolen. Thanks to bearlock there just have a destroyed center console.

Lg
    Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon 2.8 CRD, MY 15, Anvil, 2,5" Lift with 37" and some other stuff.

My build: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...uot-to-37-quot

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Depends on your insurance.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
    This......

I went the insurance route. It does jack up your premiums depending on how much extra you are trying to insure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley View Post
    Hi,

I dont know If Bearlock is known in the US. Its a type of transmission lock. There are some safety features so the thief cant unbolt or deactivate the bear lock.

https://www.bear-lock.de/produkte/su...e-category=gsp

I have this in my JK. I know some people who have this also installed and there jk were tried to get stolen. Thanks to bearlock there just have a destroyed center console.

Lg
    That’s pretty interesting, never heard of it. Then again, I’ve never looked into car alarms or immobilizers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123