Super chip or re gear

Sheep_Dog

Hello Jeeples. I have an 08 jku on 35" A/T and a 3.5" lift. I have not re geared yet and I was told I can get a super chip and re calibrate everything to get it working better. I'm pushing 60mpg and I have not recalibrated yet. My question is. Do I have to re gear and spend so much or would the stock gears do fine as long as I recalibrate. I don't do much off-roading but I would like to do some light stuff soon. I'm aware on the differences between the super chip models. Basically $2,000 on re gear or $250 and just re calibrate.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
My suggestion would be to do both. But if you're going to do one or the other I would choose regear because running that big of tire and lift you're robbing yourself of horsepower and spunkiness for a lack of a better term. And gas mileage....

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
If you regear you will probably still have to reprogram for the bigger tires to keep your shift points and everything closer to factory I would imagine. There was a thread on here not too long ago with a link to a extreme 4x4 video describing how to re gear properly for the size tire you're upgrading to.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello Jeeples. I have an 08 jku on 35" A/T and a 3.5" lift. I have not re geared yet and I was told I can get a super chip and re calibrate everything to get it working better. I'm pushing 60mpg and I have not recalibrated yet. My question is. Do I have to re gear and spend so much or would the stock gears do fine as long as I recalibrate. I don't do much off-roading but I would like to do some light stuff soon. I'm aware on the differences between the super chip models. Basically $2,000 on re gear or $250 and just re calibrate.

if you're pushing 60mpg why change anything? I wish my Jeep got 60 mpg! :cheesy:

but...a SuperChips tune alone will not do anything noticeable - your options are limited changing the timing (performance) tune but then you'll need to run a higher octane fuel but as I mentioned, it's not enough bang for the buck.

If you want real bang for your buck, regear - then you will still need the SC to calibrate for the new tires or pay the dealer to flash the PCM but for the extra features you can use from the SC, I'd get the SC as well.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

You aren't getting 60 mpg. You don't know what you are getting, because you haven't reprogrammed your speedometer for your tire size. Your speedometer is inaccurate, and the miles that your odometer displays are incorrect.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Here's the optimal formula..... Take your current tire divided by the stock tire(in inches) then take that and multiply that by the stock gear. This will give you the same gearing-tire as if it were stock. Example- stock Rubicon tires are 255/75/17 = 32.1 inches and let's say you have 3.73 gears ...

Take 35 divided by 32.1 = 1.0903. Take 1.0903 multiplied by 3.73 = 4.0669. A gear set of 4:11 would be the comparable gear/tire setup you had stock with the tire you're running now. Now you can always go bigger but it would be inadvisable to go smaller.

Sheep_Dog

Dammm. This is definitely a love hate relationship. There are so many things I hate that is so freakin complicated but yet I love the knowledge and the challenge. I'm new to jeeping but dam I love this shit. I think to get it running better I'm just gonna buy the super chips and recalibrate now and save for the gear upgrade. Will leaving the stock gears calibrated hurt the tranny.

notnalc68

Dammm. This is definitely a love hate relationship. There are so many things I hate that is so freakin complicated but yet I love the knowledge and the challenge. I'm new to jeeping but dam I love this shit. I think to get it running better I'm just gonna buy the super chips and recalibrate now and save for the gear upgrade. Will leaving the stock gears calibrated hurt the tranny.

You'll be fine.

notnalc68

An inexpensive option, that I use, is the AEV Procal. It will do anything you need, tire size, gear changes, transfer case ratio, daytime running lights....

I agree with notnalc68. I bought the AEV ProCal before upgrading to 37s. I literally programmed my jeep to 37s and turned my TPMS off in less than a minute. Very simple to use.

Top Bottom