Steering Problems After Lift

Djeep20

Hello

I own a 2010 Wrangler Sahara and I recently installed the teraflex budget boost lift with spacers and shock adapters and my steering has become loose. I will be coming around a turn at 45 and while on the curve my tires will turn more when I have not moved the wheel. Also I need to constantly adjust the wheel while driving. Also after a turn my steering wheel will not be straight but my wheels will. I need a solution becuase I can not continue to drive my jeep like this. Any one have any ideas on how to fix this or has anyone else had this issue after installing this Lift??

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hello

I own a 2010 Wrangler Sahara and I recently installed the teraflex budget boost lift with spacers and shock adapters and my steering has become loose. I will be coming around a turn at 45 and while on the curve my tires will turn more when I have not moved the wheel. Also I need to constantly adjust the wheel while driving. Also after a turn my steering wheel will not be straight but my wheels will. I need a solution becuase I can not continue to drive my jeep like this. Any one have any ideas on how to fix this or has anyone else had this issue after installing this Lift??

First off, welcome to wayalife.

Second, have you gone and make sure everything is torqued to spec? What size budget boost did you install? Any other mods to your Jeep recently? A little more info will be helpful

Djeep20

It is a 2.5 inch budget boost lift. Everything in the front is tight. No other mods. Front trac bar is stock and rear has a relocation bracket that came with the kit.

TRLJNKY

Did you recheck the torque on all the track bar or draglink or anything else that you may have loosened up for the install of the spacers? Sounds like something is loose to me. All you did was add spacers so what about 2-2.5" of lift? The steering wheel just needs to be recentered. Thats common. There is a right up on how to realign the steering wheel and its a very simple process. There is not much to these budget boost lifts so I would def just recheck the toque on the front end and go from there. Hopefully someone else will chime in if they have more to offer. Btw, welcome to WAL. Jump over to the give us a wave section and introduce yourself to the group. Good luck

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

TRLJNKY

It is a 2.5 inch budget boost lift. Everything in the front is tight. No other mods. Front trac bar is stock and rear has a relocation bracket that came with the kit.

You guys responded while I was typing my last message why it is redundant. Anyway, I have the same kit and there isnt much to it and I havnt had any problems short of centering the steering wheel.

It's half past f'it with the CAPS lock on!

jeeeep

Hooked
Hello

what you mean is you're getting wandering when you drive? what tires do you have?

with the spacers you added on the tracking will be different, if you have mud tires it will be more noticeable, also certain brand tires will grab the road more and the wider stance will make it feel like you're wandering on the road.

now when you say "...after a turn my steering wheel will not be straight but my wheels will" do you mean your steering wheel is off center but your wheels are pointing straight? if so, it sounds like your drag link adjustment clamp is not properly aligned to clamp tight. the seam has to line up - can you take a pic of your drag link adjustment clamp?

one other thing I would do, with the jeep on the ground - no jack stands... loosen the control arms, loosen the track bar, get on the front bumper and give the jeep a few good bounces them tighten everything up to torque. make sure you're using a torque wrench,

JeepJeep75

Something is loose. With the engine running, parking brake set, in park (or neutral) crawl under the front of your jeep and have a helper turn the wheel back and forth about a quarter turn each way. Look at all your steering joints, trackbar joints, and ball joints. If there is ANY slop in any joint, that's a problem. There are many sections in here on this. Welcome to WAL!! [emoji112]

jeeeep

Hooked
Will that tighten my steering??

if what you're saying is that your steering wheel is getting off center after turning then setting the clamps so they clamp properly should stop your steering wheel from getting off center after steering.

as it is now, it allows the threads to slip and knock your steering wheel off center - make sure the clamps are tight (without stripping the bolts)

put a witness mark (paint mark) on the bolt and clamp so you can see if it's moved.

will it stop the wandering feeling you're experiencing? a little but you're running mud tires with spacers - that's how they grab

also make sure your track bar is tight - at 125 ft lbs you really need to use a torque wrench to make sure it's correct.

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
To the OP - there is a nice write up for DIY front end alignment in the JK tech section. Take a look at that. It's tough to identify your problem from your description, but it sounds to me like you should consider (a) recentering your steering wheel (adjust drag link); (b) check your caster (shouldn't be too far off since you only did a budget boost, but I'd check anyway); and (c) check your toe (could explain the wandering/grabbing feeling you described). Depending on mileage and wear, unit bearings and/or ball joints could be another potential cause.

Frydaddy

I cant believe everyone is missing a big question. Did the kit have you relocate your track bar?

The kits i see have a track bar relocate, but nothing for the drag link. Those two bars need to be parallel. Symptoms include a shaky or wandering feel down the road. every bump seems to throw you off. Take a look at the pivot points of these two bars, if the geometry isn't parallel, you've gotta fix that.

There are two basic ways to fix this. Drop pittman arm (puts a strain on the steering box), or a drag link flip kit (requires some mechanical skill on a critical system). I'm a fan of the latter. Most kits are $200, but can be done for $60 with a Synegery adapter and a Right-Hand-Drive drag link (52126058AD) .

If your kit did not alter the trackbar, or draglink... then ignore my ramblings.

plane-angle_zps0f9fb1ab.jpg

Top Bottom