Death wobble

BrinksLJ

Hey guys! I'm new to wayalife and hoping to learn alot about the TJ. I recently sold my 98 XJ (first car) and purchased a 04 LJ. Now.. On my XJ I had a 4.5 in rough country lift. After installing I had death wobble. After spending about 1500 on new stearing/suspension components it was fixed. I do alot of traveling/exploring so DW was kinda putting a damper on things..

My question is does putting any height lift put you at risk of DW? From what I understand DW only comes with a lift and doesn't happen with stock suspension. So would a 2.5 in coil lift potentially cause DW? Or only higher lifts that require track bars ECT.

Sent from my SM-G935T using WAYALIFE mobile app

Death wobble can occur on stock vehicles with worn components as well when you start putting toys on your jeep it just multiplies the effect.

XJADDICTION

Banned

Good info here.

I've owned and built a bunch of XJ's and ZJ's and DW was always an issue. The JK appears
To be different, I haven't dealt with any DW yet and my JKURHR is a stock 2016 with 15,000 miles on it.

My observations so far;
- just like XJ; drag link, track bar need to be parallel
- caster needs to be corrected
- loose track bar (common DW problem on XJ) is initial check and cause
- OEM ball joints are weak, it appears. Even on the "HD" D-44 on the Rubicon. If you wheel at all you will stress them (even at stock height and wheel size) and it's a constant PM (get under there and keep an eye on front end) that will prevent problems here. Replace with better ball joints, also great recommendations on this site.
- balance of wheels and tires, and imop also relates to the quality of the tires and wheels you purchase after your lift. Plenty of recommendations for wheels and rubber on this site.
- looks like anything over 3"es requires steering correction with a flip.

The CA's on the JK are pretty long compared to XJ's, drop brackets are not necessary or work well for JK it appears. LA's are an option but for a higher lift than you are looking for. Still it appears LA's not a necessity even at higher lift.

To sum it up, lifting a JK leaves you open to DW, but less chance to have it under 3"es of lift. Quality of lift, wheels and tires limit chances of having DW. Hard Off-road use = parts wear so PM too priority.

I have many friends with 2-2.5" lifts and 35's with 0 DW problems. Some of these JKU's are 07-08 years.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I had death wobble on a bone stock 2008 JK. It was a worn drag link joint. Death Wobble can happen no matter the lift, it's from worn/loose suspension parts.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom