Lost a rear axle seal, replaced, then lost the bearing. hmmmmm

zimm

Caught the Bug
So not too long after my re-gear, my rear right axle seal went out. Granted I've been through many water/mud pits, and my shops says that's the culprit. So last week he pull the shaft and we replaced the seal, bearing, and "wedding ring" and de-greased the brakes and put new e-brake shoes in.

I drove 200 miles, 50 of with my camper, and soon as I hit the campground, I hear a loud metal on metal shreeking. I thought it was the camper, but I unhitched and it's the right rear wheel. I'm assuming the new axle bearing is toast.

I had it flat bed towed back to the shop.

So, What would cause a loss of a seal, then toasting a new bearing in 200 miles? I asked him to check for a bent axle shaft.

WJCO

Meme King
Make sure there is no metal in the fluid. I hope the regear wasn't done improperly, but if so, metal contamination could cause both issues.

fiend

Caught the Bug
The rear bearings are lubricated by diff oil. There must be enough in the pumpkin that some goes down the axle tubes to feed the wheel bearings. My guess is that whoever did your axle work did not put enough gear oil in the diff so your bearing cooked itself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
possibly. We pulled the drain plug after installing the axle shaft and oil was flowing out. But that was with the axle at full droop on the lift. Maybe at ride height it was low?

Top Bottom