Water leaking and running down the dash 1985 CJ7 Renegade

XJADDICTION

Banned
Does it leak when driving, or just sitting?

My CJ's either leaked from the cowl seal, window seal, around wipers, or the soft top to window frame.

Check to make sure the cowl seal didn't get folded over incorrectly when they replaced it or folded windshield down.

With fiberglass windshield frames, some have a poor fit and don't sit correctly on cowl. If that is the case you can build up the seal where it is leaking with foam pipe insulation. Don't use caulking if you ever plan to fold the window down.

Make sure cowl isn't rusted since they replaced the windshield frame, good chance rust was in the cowl. In picture yours looks pretty clean though.

Take a hose (we call it a hose pipe here in the south [emoji3]) and spray it all along cowl if you haven't tested it already. Just a process of elimination for water leaks.

Your CJ looks awesome! Makes me miss mine. Rust probably isn't a problem, but I would fold that window down and check everything.

That's my 2 cents worth of advice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

briand

I have a similar problem with mine. Part of the leak I had came from the cowl seal. I replaced that, which took care of most of the leaking. Now the only leak I have left is coming from around the window seal. I'm hoping to have time to fix it later this week

Sent from the never ending trail

wjtstudios

Hooked
The hose trick is the best way to check for the leak location. I've been constantly chasing leaks on my CJ8 for 20 years. One gets resolved and water finds another way. A lot of times the caul seal doesn't adhere well to the windshield frame. As water hits the windshield, it is forced down while driving and finds its way across the top of that seal. If that's were you see water coming in, you can pull the seal and use a good silicone caulk to reseat it. It's more likely the water is coming from above than below the seal.

If the water is coming from behind the dash, it likes to find is way into the defrost vent holes and down from there.

It's an endless battle if you want to enjoy the experience of driving with the windshield down.

briand

I agree with wjtstudios. The water test is the best way to check for leaks. The latest leak I have comes through the windshield from the seal. My hardtop drops down onto the windshield and the seal is leaking onto the dash

Sent from the never ending trail

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
I don't know what all the fuss is about. All CJ's have the self washing interior feature. You didn't know that was a thing?

wjtstudios

Hooked
Last two were during a water test

If you pull the dash pad and do the water test, you can see if it is going over or under the caul seal. My best guess would be to replace the caul seal and silicone it to the windshield frame. That will stop any water coming through the top of the seal. The bottom is less likely. Also check around the windshield seal too. But for that big of a leak, right in the middle, my guess is the caul seal.

Ranger4011

Thanks guys I will check on that and I will keep you posted I also got one of the local jeepers here saying that maybe the cowl got pinched the last time the window was folded down, by the previous owner I hope it's just that simple cross your fingers, my hopes on that are about 1 out of 10

Top Bottom