Project '84 CJ-7

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Okay so after approximately 2.5-3 months of searching and dragging my feet and finally decision making, I'll be picking up a restored '84 CJ-7 frame on Sunday morning about an hour away in NJ. I had some complete CJ candidates in some other locations all over the map but I just could not bring myself to pull the trigger on any of the local ones within driving distance due to concerns about overspending on a vehicle only to discard a large portion of it. And my main concerns about traveling long distances was being fearful of misrepresented vehicles, driving home in an unfamiliar vehicle, or vehicles that didn't live up to expectations based on pictures. Finding too nice of a CJ would defeat the purpose of a project vehicle for my son and I. And really decent ones seem to be in the range of $7-15k depending on just how nice each one is. My wife and I just don't want to spend that much $ all at once, though we realize we will be well into that range or more when all is said and done. But this way we can piece things together while choosing all the parts as needed. Engine size, trans, seat style and color, body color etc. all without a bunch of waste. We plan on taking our time. He will be 16 in August of '19 and either this will be most likely be his first ride or at least a beautiful completed vehicle that gives us both a sense of pride when finished. I've had the vin checked and everything is legit. So I should have it home by Sunday afternoon. Right now my son and I agreed that it would be neat if it looked like the '84 version of my Rubicon, though that may change. Right now it just feels good to have a definite direction. I'll be leaning on many of you for advice and guidance particularly with the drivetrain.

https://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/6152307804.html

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
That looks awesome. Good luck with the project and the memories of building it together.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Frame has been completely stripped and coated. All new brake and fuel lines, new fuel tank, new shocks and the axles have been rebuilt and have 410 gears. The springs are not new but they are in excellent shape and and the seller stated that the body will sit over 35" tires nicely with these 5" springs. I figured with everything that is done I'll come out of the gate in great shape. I've seen frames online needing a lot of TLC from $700-1500 and we agreed on $1700 for everything. Just the time we will save restoring the frame will be worth it to me.

Here's some more pics

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
That looks awesome. Good luck with the project and the memories of building it together.

Thanks man! I'm so glad to get this S L O W build finally under way. I promised my son we'd find something soon and we're now ahead of schedule.

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Solid foundation and a good price. These things are pretty simple really, the hardest things are paint and electrical. With the painless kits its more time consuming than it it is difficult. For sure I'll be following this!

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys! Feel free to make engine and trans suggestions. If the kid really winds up with this, I lean towards an auto. But if I go manual it's gotta be the 5 speed. Nothing is off the table and doesn't have to be AMC just for the sake of being "original." Out of the box suggestions are welcome also. I'm thinking small block Chevy, GM Vortec V6 etc....I want a balance of power and efficiency in the neighborhood of 200-225hp. But something that will bolt in with relative ease if not AMC components. Hope that makes sense. There's no particular hurry since I'm open to any and all viable options. Much like my JKU, I expect to learn a lot and be schooled when needed. :D

* Links are welcome.

Last edited:

briand

Great looking frame! It's going to be a great project for you and your boy. Have fun and I'll definitely be watching the updates!

Sent from the never ending trail

wjtstudios

Hooked
Thanks guys! Feel free to make engine and trans suggestions. If the kid really winds up with this, I lean towards an auto. But if I go manual it's gotta be the 5 speed. Nothing is off the table and doesn't have to be AMC just for the sake of being "original." Out of the box suggestions are welcome also. I'm thinking small block Chevy, GM Vortec V6 etc....I want a balance of power and efficiency in the neighborhood of 200-225hp. But something that will bolt in with relative ease if not AMC components. Hope that makes sense. There's no particular hurry since I'm open to any and all viable options. Much like my JKU, I expect to learn a lot and be schooled when needed. :D

* Links are welcome.

I'd still look at the AMC 258s to for the engine, keep it original. They are carbonated and easy to work on. They have a bunch of torque and enough horsepower, but you're not going to win any races which is a good thing with a 16 year old. For the transmission, look into the borg T5. It's a good 5 speed. This up and coming generation won't know how to drive a stick, just one more useful skill we can try to pass down to our kids. I learned how to drive on a stick in a old wagoner at 14. It's a great way to learn. Good luck with the build! That frame is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug
Looks like in Delaware with a 1984 you are subject to a 2 part emissions test. I couldn't find anything that said you can't swap in another motor. The 84' had a catalytic converter so you will have to run one, it's like $45. Other than that all it says is the engine has to run equal or greater than the emissions standards for that model year. That leaves you open to a lot of options. Personally, I'd get a 360 amc if I could find one. However the vortec v6 would be really reliable. Needs the computer controls but I understand that to not be that big of a deal. I see a lot of research in your future.:yup:

edit: The six cyl. suggestion wasn't up as I posted this and they are easy and bullitproof. You probably should find out what the original engine for your vin is, so you know what standards you have to meet.

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
My GM drivetrain leanings may be unwarranted. But I was a GM tech in training in the early 90s. As an apprentice I was around a ton of Blazers, Jimmys and Astro/Safari vans with the 4.3. I know it puts out close to 195/200hp. That motor pulled the S-10 Blazer around pretty damn good and would think the CJ would be comparable. I'm just a little more comfortable around them then the older and unfamiliar AMC stuff. Admittedly I wasn't a tech for long and while I feel comfortable with pretty major disassembly/reassembly, drivetrain and diagnostics weren't my strong suit.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Just received my u-haul auto transport availability confirmation for tomorrow morning. Barring something unforeseen, I should be home with this frame around 130-200 tomorrow.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Meeting up with the seller any minute. Just waiting on him to get home from church. And then Zach and I will be on our way home with our project!

Top Bottom