Electric Hardtop Hoist

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Been working on a hoist to pull and store my JKU hardtop. Wanted it to be something easy to run solo and also not take up too much room. I have a standard 9' ceiling in my garage so I also wanted to get it as high up as I could. I'm a short fucker but still wanted it up so it could be walked under. Here's what I have going so far.

I built the frame out of 1-1/2" .095 wall square tubing. I put tabs on the ends so the D-rings couldn't slide off.

IMG_1070.jpg
IMG_1071.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg

I initially made this T-strap but found that if the straps weren't exactly the correct length the top wouldn't hoist level without a lot of manipulation of the frame. I ended up just using a single ratchet strap instead.

IMG_1075.jpg
IMG_1076.jpg
IMG_1074.jpg

These are the D-rings I used. They are way overkill but it's what I already had laying around.

IMG_1072.jpg

I mounted an electric hoist with pendant in the attic and used a 4" ABS fitting to run the cable through the ceiling to make it look cleaner. I double lined the hoist so it would lift the top slower thus smoother and more controlled. I had to space it up in the attic so I used 4x4's beneath the unistrut. I went across 4 ceiling joists even though the top is light I may want to use the hoist for other purposes as well.

IMG_1078.jpg

Here is my test run to find the CG so I could weld on the lifting point. Rags were temporary padding.

https://youtu.be/HYZtU6s3j_8

Instead of welding the lifting point on, I opted to build a bolted connection. Figured that was best in case I didn't get the position correct or ever wanted to lift the top with glass both closed and open requiring me to adjust the lifting point.

IMG_1080.jpg

Painted everything up and added pipe insulation for padding. Dunno if I like the padding but it'll work for now.

IMG_1086.JPG
IMG_1087.jpg

This is how it will sit when not in use.

IMG_1088.jpg

I've only used it to put the jeep top back on since we had rain on the horizon so I don't have a full top removal video or pics. We're traveling now but once I get back I have to mount eye-bolts in the ceiling joists and I'll use jack chain to hold the top up. I want a little more safety that relying on the hoist brake to hold the top suspended. Especially since I'll basically be parking the jeep underneath it.

I also need to install an outlet in the attic for the power connection. For now I have the cord dropped out the same hole as the wire rope and just plug it in to an extension cord.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Been working on a hoist to pull and store my JKU hardtop. Wanted it to be something easy to run solo and also not take up too much room. I have a standard 9' ceiling in my garage so I also wanted to get it as high up as I could. I'm a short fucker but still wanted it up so it could be walked under. Here's what I have going so far...

Nice work! Looks like you could still add some expanded metal or wire fence to make a platform on top of the "T" so you can store your freedom panels or other random items when not in use.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Nice work! Looks like you could still add some expanded metal or wire fence to make a platform on top of the "T" so you can store your freedom panels or other random items when not in use.

That's a possibility down the road. The panels don't really get in my way when they're off though. I just put em in the bag and set it off to the side. But I did think of that.

I hope you don't mind but I moved this into the write-up section. Nice job!

Thanks Eddie. Sorry, I didn't really know where it belonged. Thanks for moving it.

sm31

Sorry for the really late reply! Just found this...

What kind of electric hoist did you use? Are you happy with it? Thanks!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Sorry for the really late reply! Just found this...

What kind of electric hoist did you use? Are you happy with it? Thanks!

It’s a 440lb capacity hoist from Harbor Freight. I don’t have anything bad to say about it. I haven’t had any issues. But it IS a Harbor Freight hoist so I don’t trust the brake to hold the top up. I put eye-bolts in the ceiling that I attach the frame to once the top is hoisted up.

MericaMade

It’s a 440lb capacity hoist from Harbor Freight. I don’t have anything bad to say about it. I haven’t had any issues. But it IS a Harbor Freight hoist so I don’t trust the brake to hold the top up. I put eye-bolts in the ceiling that I attach the frame to once the top is hoisted up.

Dude thats awesome. I use the same HF hoist for my 300 pound 5th wheel hitch and hasent faild me yet. Gotten about 50 lifts with it, but every time I go to use it I say hope this isn't the last LOL. I been ponder this ideas for my top. Thank you and great job!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Dude thats awesome. I use the same HF hoist for my 300 pound 5th wheel hitch and hasent faild me yet. Gotten about 50 lifts with it, but every time I go to use it I say hope this isn't the last LOL. I been ponder this ideas for my top. Thank you and great job!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. Yea I was skeptical about the HF hoist especially being mounted in my attic that gets blistering hot. But figure it’s cheap enough to replace if it does fail.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I made an electric hoist using a harbor freight winch. Other than leaking a little oil, the winch has been fine. But it is a little too fast and also abrupt in starting and stopping. The hardtop isn’t that heavy, so you really don’t need a winch. It works but if I were to do it again, I’d forgo the electric winch part and just make a simple mechanical advantage system with ropes and pullies.

Last edited:

rubiDave

I made an electric hoist using a harbor freight winch. Other than leaking a little oil, the winch has been fine. But it is a little too fast and also abrupt in starting and stopping. The hardtop isn’t that heavy, so you really don’t need a winch. It works but if I were to do it again, I’d forgo the electric winch part and just make a simple mechanical advantage system with ropes and pullies.

Did you rig it as a direct lift? I'm using the same but rigged 2:1 and the speed seems about perfect.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom