New axles in, jeep is tough to handle on highway.

rogerk93

So I finished up my jeep, axles are in, drive shafts are in, new trac bar, drag link, and tie rod and 40's. I love the way it drives and how solid it feels on the road, It is a completely different vehicle in the way it handles. The only time I have an issue is when I'm driving above 60mph and I go to change lanes. It feels like it sways a little extra in the direction I'm going. I didn't readjust my control arms so could the caster be off?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So I finished up my jeep, axles are in, drive shafts are in, new trac bar, drag link, and tie rod and 40's. I love the way it drives and how solid it feels on the road, It is a completely different vehicle in the way it handles. The only time I have an issue is when I'm driving above 60mph and I go to change lanes. It feels like it sways a little extra in the direction I'm going. I didn't readjust my control arms so could the caster be off?

Could be slightly off but if I had to guess I bet your just feeling the road grooves more with the full width axles. Not totally sure tho as I have never driven a full width axle Jeep

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

What's your caster set at? Could also be feeling the effects of new ball joints.

rogerk93

Could be slightly off but if I had to guess I bet your just feeling the road grooves more with the full width axles. Not totally sure tho as I have never driven a full width axle Jeep

I see. I have to buy a new angle finder the Home Depot one sucks. But if it is just because of the width than that's fine I just have to get used to it.

Slimebones

I see. I have to buy a new angle finder the Home Depot one sucks. But if it is just because of the width than that's fine I just have to get used to it.

You can save your money and just get an angle finder app on your phone, for free. Found one called Angle Pro and it works great.

WJCO

Meme King
If it's not your caster, make sure all control arms and track bars are torqued to spec.

Brianmly

What's your caster set at? Could also be feeling the effects of new ball joints.

2nd that.....I just put in new Dynatrac ball joints a few months ago and according to Dynatrac it can take up to 1k miles to "break in".....With what your saying is exactly what I was feeling until about 800mi when the ball joints finally "loosened up", then it has been great ever since.

jorgelrod

Hooked
2nd that.....I just put in new Dynatrac ball joints a few months ago and according to Dynatrac it can take up to 1k miles to "break in".....With what your saying is exactly what I was feeling until about 800mi when the ball joints finally "loosened up", then it has been great ever since.

This ^^^

New ball joints tend to feel flighty the first 1000 or so miles...

Last edited:

Andy5160

Hooked
Congrats on finishing up your project man.
I see our gurus already made their recommendations so let us know what was it
Enjoy your newly built rig !!!!!!!!

Chad

Congrats on the build! I just went from 33's to 35's and love it. I can only imagine what going to new axles and 40's would be like!

Top Bottom