Viper throttle body

jeeeep

Hooked
Thanks. I'll try there also if no one here wants to get rid of theirs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

my viper needs it lol

I can tell you that the viper body will require you to run a performance tune and higher octane fuel. if you want the same bump without the viper TB, look at swapping out the stock coil and wires for the Performance Distributors kit - you can run a stock tune or the performance tune to get a more responsive engine.

http://performancedistributors.com/product/jeep-07-11-firepower-ignition-kit/

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
my viper needs it lol

I can tell you that the viper body will require you to run a performance tune and higher octane fuel. if you want the same bump without the viper TB, look at swapping out the stock coil and wires for the Performance Distributors kit - you can run a stock tune or the performance tune to get a more responsive engine.

http://performancedistributors.com/product/jeep-07-11-firepower-ignition-kit/
I'm currently running superchips tune. Haven't tried the 91 octane tune yet just started with 87. I was thinking of upgrading the wires and coil also. Is there benefit to doing both body and wires or pointless?

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm currently running superchips tune. Haven't tried the 91 octane tune yet just started with 87. I was thinking of upgrading the wires and coil also. Is there benefit to doing both body and wires or pointless?

in my research at the time, if you do the TB you're locked into 91 octane since that tune modifies the timing enough to make the TB work. I talked to a few guys and without the tune some would throw a code others wouldn't so I opted to not try it. with coil and wires you can adjust the tune from stock to performance which is nice for me cause there are areas I drive thru that only offer 90 octane as premium.
I think doing both without the ability to hone in the timing would be a moot point and may make it run too lean.

you won't notice much difference from a performance tune with all else stock. imo it's a waste of money to run performance/premium when stock.

no need to buy more expensive plugs either, I've done it and no difference, stock plugs work fine.
definitely don't use the tri-tip E3 plugs, they made mine run like crap

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
in my research at the time, if you do the TB you're locked into 91 octane since that tune modifies the timing enough to make the TB work. I talked to a few guys and without the tune some would throw a code others wouldn't so I opted to not try it. with coil and wires you can adjust the tune from stock to performance which is nice for me cause there are areas I drive thru that only offer 90 octane as premium.
I think doing both without the ability to hone in the timing would be a moot point and may make it run too lean.

you won't notice much difference from a performance tune with all else stock. imo it's a waste of money to run performance/premium when stock.

no need to buy more expensive plugs either, I've done it and no difference, stock plugs work fine.
definitely don't use the tri-tip E3 plugs, they made mine run like crap
Okay thanks for the info. I did upgrade to CAI and upgraded the exhaust with the tune. I wanted to try TB over wires to upgrade since it seemed easier although neither is rocket science. I may just go with wires/coiI instead. I just replaced my plugs a couple weeks ago and I did end up using the stock replacements. Always mixed reviews of people upgrading both with awesome to no effect. Every jeep is different I suppose.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
No offense intended, but you should stop chasing unicorns. These modifications are not worth the time or effort. Get proper gearing. There is no magic way to get more power out of that motor.

jeeeep

Hooked
No offense intended, but you should stop chasing unicorns. These modifications are not worth the time or effort. Get proper gearing. There is no magic way to get more power out of that motor.

this ^^^^ if you haven't regeared for your tires, making mods to the engine don't amount to much on the 3.8. IMO everything I've done has made it more responsive but the transmission sucks. I drive with OD off 98% of the time.

FYI - I have CAI, Dynomax catback, performance coil/wires and 4.88's with 37's and nothing I have done I can say has added power. it has made it more responsive from stock but can't say it's gained any noticeable HP.

SDG

Caught the Bug
^This!!!!!!!!

Draconianwinter

Seems lots of people looking for better and faster ways to ruin their engines just to avoid regearing their axles. Nevermind n that by the time they add all this or that to the thing they probably waisted more money than the regear would have costed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

dwvninety

Seems lots of people looking for better and faster ways to ruin their engines just to avoid regearing their axles. Nevermind n that by the time they add all this or that to the thing they probably waisted more money than the regear would have costed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Shoot I just put a Vtech sticker on mine and gained 15+hp....better than regearing.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Lol okay okay. I'm not looking for power gains just better response. If these aren't recommended then I'll just scratch them and work on something else on my huge wish list. Thanks for all the input and please don't hold back this is how I'm learning.

Top Bottom