Looking for skid plates

robx251

Caught the Bug
I have been thinking about getting an engine/transmission skidplate for my 16 jkr. I have been rolling around the Rubicon express, the rock hard, evo and even a super cheap rough country. I really like the modular design of the rock hard but the price is a lot.

What ones do everyone else have and thoughts?

Sent from my LG-M210 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
I'd go with rockhard or evo. I went with the evo cause it gives more clearance. I didn't get the crossmember skid. Just the pan and t case skid.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

KYRubi

I have the full set of Rock Hard 4X4 skids on my JKR. I have personally tested them on the rocks and give them my approval.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With a manual transmission, you may not need them.

This ^^^^

With a manual transmission, you don't need to buy any aftermarket skid plates. The ones that came on your Jeep from the factory will be more than enough to protect your Jeep. IF anything, you might want to get an oil pan skid as it's not protected but it's far from necessary. I have been running Moby with just factory skids for over 10 years now and while they may not look pretty, his factory skids are still holding up fine.

tgoss

I'm going to end up doing Evo's skids and their cross member. Might as well just do it now while it's up there. It's relatively cheap and would protect what's needed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to end up doing Evo's skids and their cross member. Might as well just do it now while it's up there. It's relatively cheap and would protect what's needed.

Rubicat has an auto and on a 2012-up, I would recommend that a the transmission be protected if only because it has a cooler line very exposed. Like you, I went with EVO as it just protects what's needed and without robbing you of more ground clearance. The cross member skid wouldn't work with my long arm setup and so I installed a Poison Spyder HD cross member. I believe EVO makes one as well now and personally, I think it's the better way to go.

tgoss

Rubicat has an auto and on a 2012-up, I would recommend that a the transmission be protected if only because it has a cooler line very exposed. Like you, I went with EVO as it just protects what's needed and without robbing you of more ground clearance. The cross member skid wouldn't work with my long arm setup and so I installed a Poison Spyder HD cross member. I believe EVO makes one as well now and personally, I think it's the better way to go.

Yeah I sent Drew an email late yesterday as I know they now make a compatible crossmember and skids for their long arms. I feel it's wise to just get it done now while it's up there if possible.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I sent Drew an email late yesterday as I know they now make a compatible crossmember and skids for their long arms. I feel it's wise to just get it done now while it's up there if possible.

You won't need or be able to use the cross member skid with the HD cross member.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Really?

So this new skid for long arms and the crossmember won't work with eachother? Interesting. Thank you for the insight as always.

Sorry, didn't even know they had a new skid :crazyeyes:

While it looks like it would work, I'm saying that it's totally unnecessary if you run the HD cross member.

I have a 2013 auto and have the rock hard oil pan/ transmission skid. The rest is factory.

Used and angle grinder to trim and grind down the 'fins' on the factory transfer case skid to get the dome washer to sit flush.

And I also installed a fumoto valve as well, since it'd be covered by the skid.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I have a 2013 auto and have the rock hard oil pan/ transmission skid. The rest is factory.

Used and angle grinder to trim and grind down the 'fins' on the factory transfer case skid to get the dome washer to sit flush.

I think that is what the fins were for, to protect the bolt head.

WJCO

Meme King

I think that is what the fins were for, to protect the bolt head.

We couldn't get the Rock Hard 4x4 washers to fit on the OEM spot either so we just left those two alone. See pic below. I believe if you buy their transfer case skid as well, all four of the RH4X4 washers will fit easily.

0613171019.jpg

Top Bottom