Tube Fenders and Gas Mileage

sm31

I'll be installing a set of Poison Spyder aluminum "Defenders" next week & was curious to know whether anyone has seen a change in gas mileage after swapping fenders. I expect the stock fenders to be slightly more aero but I was curious to know what others have observed. Thanks!

Ddays

Hooked
I'll be installing a set of Poison Spyder aluminum "Defenders" next week & was curious to know whether anyone has seen a change in gas mileage after swapping fenders. I expect the stock fenders to be slightly more aero but I was curious to know what others have observed. Thanks!

:cheesy: JK's have the aerodynamic characteristics of a cement block. Different fenders are extremely unlikely to alter that fact!

sm31

LOL... I know. Been getting 13-ish mpg for the last 5 years. Just wondering whether it would drop to 12, or perhaps surprise me with an occasional 14 mpg tank.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I stopped calculating the MPG of my Jeep the day I drove it off the lot. Same with my Tacoma.. I just know I hate going to the gas station. Unless I'm getting a F'real smoothie... then I don't mind it.

sm31

I just keep tabs on it from a maintenance standpoint. Sometimes a decrease in mileage can serve as early warning that things are going wonky with emissions or whatever... and I'm a masochist.

:cheesy: JK's have the aerodynamic characteristics of a cement block. Different fenders are extremely unlikely to alter that fact!

Actually I have always described my stylish aerodynamics as that of a brick wall...

Seriously though, the only way you are going to see better mileage is with a diesel... Although I have heard that the LS/LT swaps actually net a few more MPG but maybe Eddie can chime in on that but I hear he is a lead foot so it probably is the same for him just he gets there quicker.....

Journeyman

I didn't not notice any difference in fuel. Don't really care honestly always been around 15 maybe closer to 20 on a downhill run with a tailwind when it was stock.
But what I did notice was how much more I noticed head winds or crosswinds at hwy speeds more. I do think there is some aero benefits to the stock bumper and un-trimmed fenders. But it's not enough to freak out about, just my observations of my jeep and as it has changed through the years.

sm31

Well I guess I get to find out for myself now. :cool:

Edit: I do plan to rattle can the fenders black...

Attachments

• 20170620_212627.jpg
    20170620_212627.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 111

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
The tube fenders will decrease your fuel economy drastically compared to the OEM plastic ones... you will constantly have to stop in parking lots and explain to people which fenders they are, where you got them coated/painted, how much they cost, and how much better they are, etc. all the while the engine will be sucking down fuel because most badasses don't shut down the engine, it makes less horsepower when its not running and takes much longer to rev... So be realistic, you will see the pump more frequently for sure. :yup:

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
The tube fenders will decrease your fuel economy drastically compared to the OEM plastic ones... you will constantly have to stop in parking lots and explain to people which fenders they are, where you got them coated/painted, how much they cost, and how much better they are, etc. all the while the engine will be sucking down fuel because most badasses don't shut down the engine, it makes less horsepower when its not running and takes much longer to rev... So be realistic, you will see the pump more frequently for sure. :yup:

^Exactly. And likely you will buy one of these as well to finish it off:

Top Bottom