Coolant question

Ant's JK

My jeep has been sitting for a day and I was doing some electrical work and noticed my coolant level is below minimum. I immediately checked under for drips but nothing. The engine never goes above half either. Just wondering if I may have a leak in the engine or if it's normal?

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

If its your first time noticing this, just top it off and move on. If it keeps doing it, then look into leaks, the plastic fitting around the thermostat is a popular failure point.

The reservoir also acts as an expansion tank, taking the extra coolant as the engine gets hot. I filled my reservoir full, and it overflowed from the heat cycle, but seems to have settled around 1/3 between E and F.

I assume this is for your 2015 JK. You must use OAT coolant.
https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...ep-JK-Wrangler-Coolants-and-Save-Your-Engine!

Part numbers are at the end.
2013+ Wranglers 3.6L
68163848AB is full concentrate OAT
68163849AB is 50/50 premix OAT

Ant's JK

I do smell something when the engine runs when I'm outside my jeep. I haven't looked at the coolant level often since I barely drive it but being that low it concerned me

JeepJeep75

IMG_5113.jpg I have a '15 as well. Check the bottom of your reservoir tank with a flashlight. I was very disappointed to find this in mine. IMG_5112.jpg casting sand. I just haven't taken mine in yet to get it flushed.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ant's JK

I just checked my coolant line and thermostat housing for leaks and when I checked my actual radiator I found orange/ rust color fluid filling it while the fluid in the coolant tank is purple. Is this normal?

JeepJeep75

I just checked my coolant line and thermostat housing for leaks and when I checked my actual radiator I found orange/ rust color fluid filling it while the fluid in the coolant tank is purple. Is this normal?

Yes, totally normal, and very confusing! Read through the "Know your coolants and save your engine" thread. Talks about how even though the different coolants look one color from the top, they look another color looking through the coolant from the side. Thanks Chrysler! [emoji106]

Frydaddy

Yes, this is normal, i can explain.

The orange HOAT was the old formula. When Fiat changed the formula, they wanted to distinguish the two types so they added a purple dye to the OAT. Problem was, the purple dye looks fine when you look THROUGH it, but it does not reflect when you shine a light AT it. Stupid, we all agree. To make matters worse, as the coolant is used, the purple color begins to look pink, almost orange. freaking bullshit.

I have the same dark sediment at the bottom of the reservoir. Do I have to remove it ? I appreciate all the information

Yes, you need to flush out the sediment form the reservoir. Every case ive seen, the sediment goes all the way up to the take-up tube. This means that there is more flowing around your system and there is nowhere for it to settle in the overflow tank, so it will settle in other low parts of the system, like the engine jacket, or HEATER CORE.

JeepJeep75

Yes, this is normal, i can explain.

The orange HOAT was the old formula. When Fiat changed the formula, they wanted to distinguish the two types so they added a purple dye to the OAT. Problem was, the purple dye looks fine when you look THROUGH it, but it does not reflect when you shine a light AT it. Stupid, we all agree. To make matters worse, as the coolant is used, the purple color begins to look pink, almost orange. freaking bullshit.

Yes, you need to flush out the sediment form the reservoir. Every case ive seen, the sediment goes all the way up to the take-up tube. This means that there is more flowing around your system and there is nowhere for it to settle in the overflow tank, so it will settle in other low parts of the system, like the engine jacket, or HEATER CORE.

I've been reading tidbits on clogged oil coolers too. Sounds like any part of the cooling system where the coolant is getting pushed uphill, it leaves the casting sand behind. Also, since the sand is an abrasive, it must be doing wonders to all of the soft parts of the cooling system. Does anyone know if the impeller on the 3.6 water pump is plastic?

ditterdame

So I have now read the OAT coolant thread.. for as soon as a yr into owning my new 2014.... I have had a strong coolant smell. It's often 8 out of 10 times. When running,driving or idling. Starts when jeep is warmed up for a while.
No leaks!
Mechanic has checked it out.. can't find what the cause is

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Frydaddy

So I have now read the OAT coolant thread.. for as soon as a yr into owning my new 2014.... I have had a strong coolant smell. It's often 8 out of 10 times. When running,driving or idling. Starts when jeep is warmed up for a while.
No leaks!
Mechanic has checked it out.. can't find what the cause is

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

From Post #5

Its hard to get to, but check under your plastic thermostat housing for pink and crusty stains.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/35551-3-6L-V6-Thermostat-Housing-Replacement

rock lobster27

If I were you I would take it to the dealership and have the top it off. I hate the dealership and I normally wouldn't tell people to go there for repairs/ service but I'm telling you to go because of my horrible experience. I bought my 2013 jeep brand new from the dealership one day I noticed my coolant was low so I checked the Manual and went ahead and ordered the CORRECT coolant for my 3.6l and filled it up. Later I checked the inside of my radiator cap and noticed this gel type stuff and I knew that the two coolants were mixed. This means that jeep when making my jeep filled my coolant with the wrong coolant from factory. I even had a guy at my dealership say that it was a common problem for this to happen because they switched coolants in 2013. They made me pay for $200 coolant flush because apparently it was my fault and they told me that I should not be doing my own maintenance and have a professional do it. I even called Chrysler to get it worked out with them which they never called me back.

Ant's JK

I brought it to the dealer and they removed alot of sand casting seeing that my tank hand 2" of the stuff. They removed the coolant and pressurized the system and put coolant back in but now I have to check that they put the correct one in. By looking a the tank can I tell if it's correct ?

Frydaddy

I brought it to the dealer and they removed alot of sand casting seeing that my tank hand 2" of the stuff. They removed the coolant and pressurized the system and put coolant back in but now I have to check that they put the correct one in. By looking a the tank can I tell if it's correct ?

shine a flashlight Through the side of the reservoir. If its purple, you're good.

Then, for a neat optical illusion, shine a light down the opening, MAGIC! Its now orange. (the same color of the other stuff)

Top Bottom