97 xj tries to start itself without key

Shawnhannah10

My 97 xj Laredo is trying to start the engine by making the starter run non stop while in park or neutral without the key in the column. If I have it in park the starter just runs as if its being told to start. The only way to get it to stop is to remove a battery terminal. If I happen to get it to stop by some weird miracle if I move the steering wheel all the way left or right without the key it starts all over again. If I put it in reverse or drive no problems at all. But as soon as its in park while running the starter still tries to start the car and its already running.

So far I've removed all the wires from the ignition switch and it still tries to start. I've replaced the starter, nothing new. I've replaced the neutral safety switch nothing new. I don't have a remote starter nor do I even see when someone might of had one at onetime. I'm at a loss on this one.

Sent from my 5056N using WAYALIFE mobile app

BobNH

There was once a TSB or recall on the YJ where we had to remove a wire from once spot on the fuse panel and plug it in to a different location. As I recall, the reason was the potential to self start from corrosion. If the wires at the switch look good, check your fuse panel for corrosion. Especially possible if you have ever noticed water leaking into the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

GatorSchop

Sounds like there might be a short somewhere in the wires. Check up by the transmission dip stick and make sure the handle didn't vibrate its way through some wires. (Happened to mine) Also check the wiring from the battery to the starter for any fraying. Could be a loose wire too like Bob said. Check the fuse panel inside and under the hood.

-Gator

My build thread:
ThatAmericanXJ Build

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=37699&share_fid=59401&share_type=t

Shawnhannah10

So somehow magically, if that exists, my jeep "fixed" itself. Its not starting in park or neutral anymore. But now I'm blowing ignition fuses like crazy. Anyone have any idea where these wires lead to? I can't find any frayed wire of any kind. Or other thoughts?

Shawnhannah10

So to recap so far I've
Replaced the starter.
Pulled all the wires off the igination switch and still.had it start it self.
Removed the starter rely and it still kept going.
Removed the igination switch fuse and it stops.
Removed all the wires from the battery all the way to the starter no tears or exposed wire.
Checked all the wires under the steering wheel no problems.
Somehow fixed itself from starting by itself with out a key.
And now its blowing igination fuses.

BobNH

So to recap so far I've
Replaced the starter.
Removed all the wires from the battery all the way to the starter no tears or exposed wire.

Have you checked the actual fuse block undwr the dash, where the wires go in from the back? Not the fuse side from the front.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
So to recap so far I've
Replaced the starter.

You should have 2 or three wires on the starter (depending on if it is grounded to the engine or the battery). The heavy power that runs from the battery to the starter just supplies the ampa required tospin the engine, the little (12-14awg) wire is the trigger wire. If the starter is spinning on its own, it is a good chance that the trigger wire is getting voltage from somewhere. It sounds like it was on the starter power feed and after you checked that wire it is touching a ground and causing you to blow a fuse when you turn the key. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know. Hope this helps.

Sent from my XT1565 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom