A wave from The Bahamas

bahamaguy

Hi Guys,

Back to being a Jeep owner again after a 5 year break with the most soulless vehicle I ever owned (and the only one I've ever owned where the roof doesn't come off!)

Happy owner of a really beat up 2010 JKU Sport S. Missing a front Diff (so basically 2WD at this point) and a bunch of other issues, but....

Here in The Bahamas, even though we're 90 miles form Florida at our closest point, we pay just over double what you guys pay for car parts (all have to be imported, all have 65% import duty, and all require shipping costs which are also dutiable at 65%!)

So, it's going to be a slow, expensive road to get me where I need to be, and will probably take most of my life and all my money. Don't care!

In addition to our 65% import duty, there's pretty much no decent mechanic on this 22 mile x 7 mile, so I'm going to be doing as much of it as I can myself. My mechanic skill level is right up there at "Um, I'm a photographer" - going to be a learning experience!

Right, that's me - no doubt I'll annoy the cr*p out of you all here with inane questions along the way, so go easy on me!

Ben

Sheaffadelic

Caught the Bug
Welcome to WAL. This sounds interesting due to all the importing and im sure everyone here will be glad to help with any questions along the way!

dillard09

Welcome to the family! Sounds interesting. Ha no mechanic but got that internet. Guess that's the priorities now a days. I don't have a running car but have you seen my Facebook page!
Good luck with your build up. There is a wealth of knowledge here so any question just ask.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

bahamaguy

Thanks all for the welcome - gonna be long road, but jsut the above stuff makes me feel like I actually can ask my dumb questions along the way here!

Cheers for the welcome!

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Welcome from MO! You'll learn a lot I'm sure, it's easy to become an internet mechanic nowadays. Sucks about the duty and shipping and everything, I guess you'll have to learn to fab your own parts too! :crazyeyes: Good luck!! :thumb:

bahamaguy

Welcome from MO! You'll learn a lot I'm sure, it's easy to become an internet mechanic nowadays. Sucks about the duty and shipping and everything, I guess you'll have to learn to fab your own parts too! :crazyeyes: Good luck!! :thumb:

Cheers - our duty rates do suck! (So do the hurricanes, which last year completely killed my savings - I coulda done with some of that right now!)

But, I've survived here for 20 years and learned to improvise!! Will just take more time than my patience levels would like!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Welcome to Wayalife. There are plenty of people here, with mechanical knowledge, and I'm sure they'd be glad to help. Take pics, and be as detailed as you can with your questions. It should be a lot of fun, and very rewarding, to do things yourself. That 65% import duty blows.

bahamaguy

That 65% import duty blows.

Worse than that, the 65% is on the cost of the item + however much it cost in shipping to get it here. And then we have to pay an additional 7.5% on THAT total.

Nothing like tax on tax!

Basically, we pay double what you guys pay (even though we're only 100 miles away!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom