Opening of Engineer Pass 2017

Well, I'm still in SW Colorado finishing up my construction project and really looking forward to enjoying another great summer here four wheeling and not fighting the heat back in Arizona... My wife got the notice on Friday that Engineer Pass was just opened after plowing all the snow and that there was some tall snow drifts. Well we couldn't pass on the chance to see that even thou we have been over the pass before, this sounded neat and headed out for a day of exploring the great San Juan's of SW Colorado. We first stopped in Ouray and had breakfast at the Bachelor-Syracuse mine and also took the mine tour.
They take you on a walk about 1500 feet into the mine and tell you about the mining process.
DSC_0053.JPG
We then headed out toward Silverton but made a detour near the Red Mountain Pass on a bypass at Ironton to explore the standing old buildings.
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0080.JPG
And some great scenery around the area.
DSC_0069.JPG
Then on up to some of the old mines in the area with great views of the area.
DSC_0086.JPG
Then the next one was the famous Yankee Girl mine that was one of the richest silver producers in the area where they hit a natural column of silver ore so pure that it didn't have to go to the mill and went straight to the smelting room for melting into ingots.
DSC_0102.JPG
After lunch in Silverton, we headed up the road to Animas Fork and the start of Engineer Pass.
We saw some of the local wildlife in a bunch of the Marmots running across the road ahead of us.
DSC_0116.JPG
And this male grouse that was strutting his stuff for a hen sitting in the bushes next to him beside the road and they didn't react to us driving by...
DSC_0119.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG
Well we went on up the pass road and being last afternoon and it just opened, we had the road to ourselves.
DSC_0127.JPG
DSC_0126.JPG
So we did find the tall snow drift and it was neat to look at the amount of snow next to you. We then head down the other side and into Lake City and back to the house in Montrose.
We had a great day out exploring the back roads even thou none of it was 'rough' four wheeling !
More to come as the summer goes on....

How was it pretty easy ride?

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yea, very easy, I was expecting standing snow / slush on the road at these snow drifts seeing how they just said they opened it the day before but it was dry and no sign of the dozer scraps in the drift areas... I thinking they posted on Friday but they finished it a few days earlier. the road was rough the closer to Silverton as it gets a lot of side x side / atv traffic which tears it up. Other than a couple of rough hairpin switch backs on the Silverton side near the top it was a two wheel adventure.

Flat Top

Awesome pics! Looks like a real good time. Can't wait to get out there in September!

+1 Gonna be a fantastic trip!

Day 4: Travel the 65 miles of the Alpine Loop Scenic Byway. Engineer Pass to Lake City, then back around Ouray through Cinnamon Pass and California pass. Inspect rigs for travel.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is so cool! Love it up in Colorado - thanks for posting up these awesome pics and providing details as to what we're seeing :thumb:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Looks like you guys had fun. I'll be up in Ouray in two weeks for our annual camping and wheeling trip. I can't wait. These pics are getting me excited for the trip for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Chris1015

That looks awesome. I was out that way end of May/first week of June but didn't get to do anything like this. Wish I did!

Top Bottom