Colorado week of 4th of July

aTX427

I am looking for recommendations for trails / rock crawling with camping in Colorado. Done the Alpine loop several times and want to explore some new areas of the state. I am planning on taking 10 days for the trip Friday the 30th to Sunday the 9th with 2 days needed for travel to and from. If anyone is interested in joining, by all means.

uberc4

I would definitely check out Wheeler Lake (You can probably camp there). Another good one depending on how built you are is Holy Cross (tons of camping off the main forest road), but I wouldn't recommend going further after Holy Cross City. Watched a few buggies flip at Cleveland Rock. Thoroughly enjoyed both trails!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

I'm fairly open to exploring new areas. I think I'm thinking may trailer out and would prefer to set up a base camp, but I'm not apposed relocating mid trip either.

jonlipin

@Kyle7R I'm looking to get out and wheel on the 1st. I'm in the Denver area, were you guys going around there?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm fairly open to exploring new areas. I think I'm thinking may trailer out and would prefer to set up a base camp, but I'm not apposed relocating mid trip either.

If you're in this area, there is plenty of camping. What kind of trailer do you have? How long?

aTX427

I'm throwing the Jeep of a flat bed and plan on tent camping. Water and electricity would be great, but primitive is fine as long as I can fill my water jugs when needed.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm throwing the Jeep of a flat bed and plan on tent camping. Water and electricity would be great, but primitive is fine as long as I can fill my water jugs when needed.

If you're going to be up in this area, northern Colorado, either Estes Park or Camp Dick would be perfect for that. You can research those two areas for your needs. If you decide to do the MSV run with us, we start right near camp Dick.

aTX427

It looks like the campsites are full in that area. I have camped off the side of the trail in the National Forest, but not a National Park. Do you happen to know the restrictions, is it safe to leave my base camp, truck, etc.? If not, I can probably find a hotel.

WJCO

Meme King
It looks like the campsites are full in that area. I have camped off the side of the trail in the National Forest, but not a National Park. Do you happen to know the restrictions, is it safe to leave my base camp, truck, etc.? If not, I can probably find a hotel.

Totally safe IMO as far as National forest. I know of some spots with no water if it comes down to that. Let me know.

aTX427

I should make it out to Estes on Sunday 7/2 and will get a hotel that evening. What do you think about this itinerary so far? I am not sure about doing both Holy Cross and No Name in one day then making it to Aspen for the 4th festivities.

Friday - Leave Houston
Saturday - 7/1 - Blanco, CO
Sunday 7/2 - Arrive Lyons, CO
Monday 7/3 - Meet WAL team
* Saint Vrain Road, Lyons, CO
* Coney Flats Road, Ward, CO
* T33A Trail Boulder County
* Monday night - Vail CO

Tuesday 7/4
* Holy Cross City Jeep Road #759
* Tuesday 4th July night - Aspen, CO

Wednesday 7/5
* Aspen Mountain to Taylor pass to Italian Creek to Hwy 135 North to Crested Butte
* Crested Butte to Peal Pass to Hwy 15 North pass (Cathedral Lake) back to Aspen
* Wednesday night - Aspen, CO

Thursday 7/7
* Chinaman Gulch or drive to Ouray, CO

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
What should I expect for temperatures day / night at elevation?

Around this area, at 9k, expect low/mid 40s at night and high 60s in the day. Vail/Aspen will be different. Lyons will be low 50s at night and 80s in the day. Check the weather a day or two in advance, weather changes here very quickly. Typically in the mountains there's one tstorm per day that comes/goes quickly.

aTX427

Cool. We camped out several times in similar weather this winter. I have hotels booked over the holiday weekend, but will most likely car camp a few nights as well.

jonlipin

@aTX427 Looks like you will be doing the Middle Saint Vrain / Coney Flats trail with us Sat. the 1st. I'm also open Sunday, so if you want to do a trail on the 2nd I'll tag along. Let me know!

Top Bottom