JK Now or JL Later?

TrailHunter

Hooked
If you were buying your first Jeep... would you buy a 15-17 Rubicon JKU now or wait for the JLU? I plan on an Evo kit with 35's or 37's on whatever I get. I have the itch real bad and want to pull the trigger... but scared I might have regrets if the new JL has better axles, better motor, or something else worth waiting.... I know either way it will be at least a 10-15 year Jeep that will progress from mild to (slightly) wild wheeling over time. Thanks for your opinions in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeffj

Caught the Bug
If your wanting to start mods right away you may want the JK because, It might take a little while for the after market world to catch up. In my opinion the JK is going to be hard to beat, but that being said, I said the same about the tj.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
It's totally up to you but I would at least wait until the JL comes out, being as we're so close to the expected release date (this fall). Even if you see what it has to offer and choose to buy a JK instead, the prices of the JK's might go down because everyone will want the new JL. Like I said... that's just my opinion. If you buy now and don't want to wait, I'm sure you'll be happy :thumb: Good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it depends on how soon you want to wheel your new Jeep and on what trails. While I have no doubts that there will be products available for the JL as soon as it comes out, NONE will be as good as they will start to get a few years into the vehicle. If you're okay with starting off small and/or growing with the Jeep, I always like new stuff and might hold out for the JL. Of course, I like getting out and wheeling than I like new stuff so I might get the best that I can now and enjoy it.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I guess it depends on how soon you want to wheel your new Jeep and on what trails. While I have no doubts that there will be products available for the JL as soon as it comes out, NONE will be as good as they will start to get a few years into the vehicle. If you're okay with starting off small and/or growing with the Jeep, I always like new stuff and might hold out for the JL. Of course, I like getting out and wheeling than I like new stuff so I might get the best that I can now and enjoy it.

I will start small, and since I will be spending 40k , it may take a year to get the lift on.... I want to ease the wife & my 2 boys (8 & 4) into Jeeping by exploring trails in the Sierras, Big Bear and everything in between. So like you said, we will grow with it. I keep my rides clean and make them last.... waiting a couple more months to see the JL might be the right way to go.... the last couple of times I was about to pull the trigger, life changing events happened which put the brakes on.... But the itch just keeps getting stronger...

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Please review this graph showing the used 2012 to 2017 used car sales data:

View attachment Use JK Values.pdf

As you can see, and while the graph only shows the last 6 months, how very little the JK as a vehicle loses its value. I would opine that the JL is a risk that has not proven itself yet and therefore, better to get the JK. My further tin foil hat suspicions are that the JK will increase in value when the JL finally does rolled down the line and people do not like them. But that is also wishful thinking, to support my own decision to get an JK and not wait for the JL.

But does anyone REALLY think that the JL in stock format will be anything significantly better than the JK? Given the aftermarket options for the JK now, I personally doubt that the JL will be completely trail ready for the average consumer right off the showroom floor.

To the OP, with you taking your vehicle into ORE, you will be dumping most of that stock stuff anyways, so why wait. Your built up JK will be better than a stock JL.

longarmwj

I thought about waiting for the JL to come out, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my JKU. I have no regrets, and the JL will be out 10+ years anyway, so there will always be time to get one.

TrailHunter

Hooked
You guys have pointed out valid points for both options (with graphs!) ... reading this thread is turning out to be the same as the arguments I have with myself in my head... Hahaha...

TrailHunter

Hooked
Well, I did it!! I just bought my First Jeep!!!! 2017 Black Rubi!!!! Pick it up Sunday. It hasn't really sunk in yet. Really appreciate this forum and all the great advice/discussions.... I figured I'd rather be the nube with the last year of the JK than the nube with the first year of the JL..... So F'n stoked right now... can't wait to drive it!!

Trail JK

Well, I did it!! I just bought my First Jeep!!!! 2017 Black Rubi!!!! Pick it up Sunday. It hasn't really sunk in yet. Really appreciate this forum and all the great advice/discussions.... I figured I'd rather be the nube with the last year of the JK than the nube with the first year of the JL..... So F'n stoked right now... can't wait to drive it!!

Congratulations that's super exciting! [emoji1319]

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

Congrats on the new rig!

black pearl

Hooked

Congratulations on the new rig and have a blast with it

jeffj

Caught the Bug

Congrats, I think that was a great choice. JK's are bad ass.

Ddays

Hooked
Congrats! I would have chosen the JK as well. Nothing against the upcoming JL but the last couple model years of a vehicle tend to be the best as the bugs have been pretty much been worked out by then. :thumb:

Top Bottom