Lockers and Mud

jorgelrod

Hooked
I have a run on Saturday, It's been raining these past days and probably until friday. My main question is on the use of lockers in mud. From what I've learned through videos and experience is that when you use lockers you tend to slow down because it's easy to break things, while mud speed is key to cleaning tires and getting grip. So what is the consensus on using Lockers on muddy terrain? All pointers and lessons openly welcomed.

eugenethejeep

I think lockers are overrated in every situation and experience says that when all tires are spinning the jeep goes to the low side of the trail and usually that's not where you want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
I would only use them if you're stuck in the mud, just to get your traction again.

This was my line of thinking as well, just limit locker use to being stuck or as usual, if dealing with ruts that might get tires in the air, but I asked because I firmly believe that it is better to ask a stupid question and learn something than to try and wing it and break something

Ddays

Hooked
I think lockers are overrated in every situation and experience says that when all tires are spinning the jeep goes to the low side of the trail and usually that's not where you want to be.

:thinking: Lockers are overrated? Other than maybe an off-camber situation, how are they overrated?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Lol if you think lockers are overrated then your stupid. I love my lockers and use them even more so now than when I first got them. I use to have the mentality of "let's see if I can climb this without them then use them if I can't". Now I just say F it and use them a vast majority of the time.

OP- as mentioned in mud I wouldn't use them unless you get stuck. Once you do then use them to try and get some extra traction or to assist you in winching out to take stress off the winch

WJCO

Meme King
:thinking: Lockers are overrated? Other than maybe an off-camber situation, how are they overrated?

Lol if you think lockers are overrated then your stupid. I love my lockers and use them even more so now than when I first got them. I use to have the mentality of "let's see if I can climb this without them then use them if I can't". Now I just say F it and use them a vast majority of the time.

OP- as mentioned in mud I wouldn't use them unless you get stuck. Once you do then use them to try and get some extra traction or to assist you in winching out to take stress off the winch

I'm new to lockers, so I'm curious as well as to why they are over-rated. Sounds like I wasted my money :thinking:

What is a test of?

Uh-oh - looks like the previous post I replied to was moved??

Looks like he posted by mistake. Weird.

This was my line of thinking as well, just limit locker use to being stuck or as usual, if dealing with ruts that might get tires in the air, but I asked because I firmly believe that it is better to ask a stupid question and learn something than to try and wing it and break something

But as previously mentioned, lockers are overrated so you may want to leave them at home in your garage [emoji23]

jorgelrod

Hooked

True Story...

FallonJeeper

The question shouldn't be when to use lockers, but rather when not too.
Four wheels of traction is always better. Except for... And this is where you decide NOT to use lockers.
1. Save fuel. If you're on highway, dirt roads and easy trails you may not need lockers. Not using then will save on fuel.

2. Save tread. You'll wear your tires a bit sooner.

3. Turning. Lockers tend to push you in a straight line. Turning sharply can become an issue.

4. Breaking your shit. Really if you are afraid of breaking your stuff because you lock your diff then you need better stuff.

Waiting until you're already stuck to engage lockers is like waiting until you're stuck to engage 4wd... too late. If you think you might need it lock it in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

eugenethejeep

At one point my jeep had posi track diffs in the front and rear. Yea that's before lockers and before the Wrangler and before some of you were even born. I found that they get you into just as much trouble as they get you out of and are very frustrating in some situations. If you look close at rollovers on the trail you will see that the majority were caused by lockers or lack of understanding them. I am telling you jeepers that your money is better spent on gas, tires and experience than lockers, you will be better off-road drivers. It is not necessary to have lockers to have fun on the trail or to get to the top of the trail. The jeep is also less likely to brake axels and drive train. Lockers are the craze today, but hey, if spending that kind of money makes up happy then why not. There is one thing I miss about them thought, my jeep doesn't spin donuts very well anymore

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
At one point my jeep had posi track diffs in the front and rear. Yea that's before lockers and before the Wrangler and before some of you were even born. I found that they get you into just as much trouble as they get you out of and are very frustrating in some situations. If you look close at rollovers on the trail you will see that the majority were caused by lockers or lack of understanding them. I am telling you jeepers that your money is better spent on gas, tires and experience than lockers, you will be better off-road drivers. It is not necessary to have lockers to have fun on the trail or to get to the top of the trail. The jeep is also less likely to brake axels and drive train. Lockers are the craze today, but hey, if spending that kind of money makes up happy then why not. There is one thing I miss about them thought, my jeep doesn't spin donuts very well anymore

I don't understand you..

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about you guys but I for one am grateful for the new knowledge I've just acquired. Hell, I'm starting to question what the point is of having a winch, low range or even 4WD. Clearly, they have to be overrated in every situation as well.

Top Bottom