Winch for Rubi HR

Jk4uRubiHR

My apologies if this has been covered on another post, searched this forum far and wide and have been unsuccessful so far.

Taking my recently purchased 2016 Rubi out to OBX last week of July and want to purchase a winch for the HR bumper. Obviously need something that will hold up to a constant beating of salt and fresh water, as well as sand. Any recommendations? How are Smitty's 10k? IMG_4318.JPG IMG_4317.JPG IMG_3938.jpg

Thanks!

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jk4uRubiHR

Thanks, but I don't see anything mentioned about the elements (sand). Worried I spend $400-$1000 on a winch, use it a few times on the beach, and have nothing but problems with sand. Synthetic or non-Synthetic? Anyone have a Warn, Smitty or other brand and mainly use it on the beach? Any major problems?

Thanks!

Last edited:

duktrx

Way back, I had a Shitty built, use once on the Oregon dunes. The next time I needed it, dead, the line did come in handy, needed about an extra 10 feet to be rescued by a Warn. Only bad thing about that Warn, it was ugly, put up with a ton of abuse. Now a Zeon 10 sits in the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tanktitan

No idea about beach sand but Moab is just about all sand(stone). If you go with Warn, Maximus III has good mounts and accessories for the 10X. Here are some shots of my build:

IMG_0265.JPG IMG_0269.JPG IMG_0272.JPG

Jk4uRubiHR

No idea about beach sand but Moab is just about all sand(stone). If you go with Warn, Maximus III has good mounts and accessories for the 10X. Here are some shots of my build:

View attachment 264588 View attachment 264589 View attachment 264590

Nice! Thanks for the input in regards to Moab sand.

Worried about the Sand/Ocean mix. Need something reliable in those conditions.

My Mom and stepdad are bringing their Ford F-150 4x4 and my wife is driving separately in her 2016 Suburban LTZ. I need to make sure I have a good winch to be pullin' out some foolz [emoji23]

Anyone have a Ramsey installed on their rig?

Eroc147

Nice! Thanks for the input in regards to Moab sand.

Worried about the Sand/Ocean mix. Need something reliable in those conditions.

My Mom and stepdad are bringing their Ford F-150 4x4 and my wife is driving separately in her 2016 Suburban LTZ. I need to make sure I have a good winch to be pullin' out some foolz [emoji23]

Anyone have a Ramsey installed on their rig?

I've been to the OBX probably ten times and have never once had the need for a winch. Only seen a few people stuck and all it took was a good yank to get them out. If you just have an itch to get a winch then get one but don't waste your money on anything but a Warn.

bouche03

I understand you're on a budget, but you asked for opinions and everyone has said Warn, and for good reason. If you just end up going with Shittybilt or Ramsey, why are you asking us? Every company has a reputation, whether it is hard earned over decades like Warn, or hard earned in a bad way like the others...do it once and do it right. You won't be disappointed with a Warn. If you were on a budget go with a Warn m8000. It is tried-and-true and can be had with steel for under $600 and the synthetic for under $900. Add in the Warn rebates and it's even less

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I've been to the OBX probably ten times and have never once had the need for a winch. Only seen a few people stuck and all it took was a good yank to get them out. If you just have an itch to get a winch then get one but don't waste your money on anything but a Warn.

^What this guy said. Not to mention there really isn't anything to anchor a winch line too out there.

Jk4uRubiHR

We have been going down every year for the past 6 years, our 1st time renting a beach house on the 4x4 beach, about 3-4 miles north towards VA line. Concerned we will be too far away from everyone and be charged an arm and a leg for a pullout when I could easily do it with the JKU. Every year we go down, we easily see 2-3 people stuck in pickups.

BobNH

Maintenance is key. I have been on a run where both Warn winches did not work. Because they were not properly maintained. Its not the product's fault at that point. That said, I ran my smitty xrc8 for five years including five New England winters. It got covered in all kinds of road salt, salt brine, road sand, dirt and mud. I used a cover, but it was still exposed. I kept it cleaned the best I could, but I will say it never once failed to operate when needed. Warranties will get you replacements but they will not get you out of the woods. Maintenance is free. YMMV

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jk4uRubiHR

I understand you're on a budget, but you asked for opinions and everyone has said Warn, and for good reason. If you just end up going with Shittybilt or Ramsey, why are you asking us? Every company has a reputation, whether it is hard earned over decades like Warn, or hard earned in a bad way like the others...do it once and do it right. You won't be disappointed with a Warn. If you were on a budget go with a Warn m8000. It is tried-and-true and can be had with steel for under $600 and the synthetic for under $900. Add in the Warn rebates and it's even less

Thanks! Not tied to any particular product, just trying to get everyone's opinion, specifically tied to the ability to hold up to harsh conditions. It's one thing if I'm taking the truck through mud, dirt and rock, but IMO, the sand and water combo has a tendency to break shit down much faster.

Thanks again!

Jk4uRubiHR

Maintenance is key. I have been on a run where both Warn winches did not work. Because they were not properly maintained. Its not the product's fault at that point. That said, I ran my smitty xrc8 for five years including five New England winters. It got covered in all kinds of road salt, salt brine, road sand, dirt and mud. I used a cover, but it was still exposed. I kept it cleaned the best I could, but I will say it never once failed to operate when needed. Warranties will get you replacements but they will not get you out of the woods. Maintenance is free. YMMV

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Good to know, thanks Bob

mcgee149

fred on dirt everyday had a warn under water for 2 hours and it works fine. the warn vr10000 is only $700 i wanna say with synthetic rope. it is there china winch but still a warn. i would run the synthetic rope in sand and ocean water just cause its safer. winch line is not forever cable or rope.

mcgee149

i just put a m8000s on my 2 door and am going to the dez this weekend to recover a dez buggy. i will let you know what i think of this winch and how the synthetic line works for me.

Top Bottom