Ball joint replaced

RollingThunder89

Hello jeepers, I'm well on my way to replacing my ball joint. I'm working on the driver side and the axel shaft work come out. 😩 I removed all the nuts minus the 2 castle nuts on the ball joints. Any suggestions? Am I supposed to put it on neutral ?? Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my E6790TM using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
You removed the large 36mm nut? And you removed the 3 13mm bolts holding the knuckle to the unit bearing? Is unit bearing removed already or are you trying to pull the axle and unit bearing together.

J

JKDream

Hello jeepers, I'm well on my way to replacing my ball joint. I'm working on the driver side and the axel shaft work come out. 😩 I removed all the nuts minus the 2 castle nuts on the ball joints. Any suggestions? Am I supposed to put it on neutral ?? Any help would be appreciated

Assuming you're stuck on the axle shaft nut, normally it's broken free before the brakes are removed. You'll have to get a pry bar in between the wheel studs, and use a breaker bar. They can get seized pretty good. You can also pull the axle shaft and keep the unit bearings attached if you remove the ABS sensor.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

RollingThunder89

You removed the large 36mm nut? And you removed the 3 13mm bolts holding the knuckle to the unit bearing? Is unit bearing removed already or are you trying to pull the axle and unit bearing together.
Yes the only thing left is the knuckle and the axle shaft. But darn axel won't come out. It feels like it's stuck

WJCO

Meme King
Yes the only thing left is the knuckle and the axle shaft. But darn axel won't come out. It feels like it's stuck

Is the yoke area hitting on the knuckle at all or is the axle just not moving? It should slide out easily. You could put the unit bearing back on the axle splines with the 36mm nut only, then use a slide hammer to pull the assy out together. If you don't have a slide hammer, put the brake rotor on backwards and use that as your slide hammer.

RollingThunder89

Is the yoke area hitting on the knuckle at all or is the axle just not moving? It should slide out easily. You could put the unit bearing back on the axle splines with the 36mm nut only, then use a slide hammer to pull the assy out together. If you don't have a slide hammer, put the brake rotor on backwards and use that as your slide hammer.
The yoke isn't hitting the knuckle and the axle shaft spins but won't slide out. F***** annoying. It feels like it's locked or the 4x4 is engaged. It's a 2016 JKU Sahara if that means anything

WJCO

Meme King
The yoke isn't hitting the knuckle and the axle shaft spins but won't slide out. F***** annoying. It feels like it's locked or the 4x4 is engaged. It's a 2016 JKU Sahara if that means anything

There is nothing holding the shaft in other than splines in the differential carrier, so it should come right out. Any hard use that possibility bent the housing?

WJCO

Meme King
Looking at your pictures, you can use a prybar behind the yoke right near the housing tube and pry it a little to help it out.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue one time with a rear shaft. Get a slide hammer or McGuyver one (which is what I did with a sledge and some nylon webbing). Popped out eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RollingThunder89

I just finished installing my dynatrac ball joints and I'm getting the ABS and swirve lights come up, hummm any suggestions? I put everything back how it was. Is it a brake issue ? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
I just finished installing my dynatrac ball joints and I'm getting the ABS and swirve lights come up, hummm any suggestions? I put everything back how it was. Is it a brake issue ? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Did you leave the sensor attached to the unit bearing when you did it? And any chance you dropped the bearing during the process? This can tear the wires internally without you knowing. Also, if there was heavy rust build up, a piece of rust may have dislodged around the toner wheel teeth of the bearing giving the sensor an abnormal reading.

A JK 2010

Great info with the brake rotor [emoji1417]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom