Mjmck's Wifes New Ride

mjmck

Well, I finally pried the 2-door 07 JK out of my wifes hands. We are rapidly coming up on a baby due date in August and I figured it would NOT be fun putting kids in the back seat of a 2-door. I travel frequently so my crew cab truck won't be available all the time.

Its got all options minus navigation and leather. Has 68,000 miles and is from Canada so it does have some light rust.

Its stone stock, for now. She is already planning on the mods. First off is to remove the hideously painted and faded fender flares, install some of the small items we took of the old jeep and build from there.

IMG_4828_zpsxcaqglox.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Congrats on the new Jeep and new kid. If you're even considering sliders, the LOD signature ones work very well for being able to stand on and still reach the back middle seat.

mjmck

Thanks all!

Congrats on the new Jeep and new kid. If you're even considering sliders, the LOD signature ones work very well for being able to stand on and still reach the back middle seat.

We are interested in sliders, however we are going to be VERY picky. Her last jeep had these:
Pics_zpsfjxhcfbg.jpg

They were cool and offered a lot of protection but the step is just too high up to even use to comfortably get in and out of the Jeep (unless your 3.5' tall). They were setup similar in height to the current stock Sahara running boards.
We will be looking for a drop-hoop type of setup (even though that's not ideal for off-roading).

I cant believe how far Jeep has come in the interior comfort and power of the 2012 MY. They had a beautiful 2010 Unlimited, but after driving a 2015 out of our price range we knew it needed to at least be a 2012.

Last edited:

mjmck

Im sure we are used to getting in larger trucks and stuff with OEM running boards, just feels much more natural I guess. Subtle mods will start pretty quick, lift and tires will be later this year.

mjmck

Thanks!

Our refund check just came in from the dealer for "issues" we found with the jeep during purchase. The first two items will be full coverage flatty fender flares and a winch bumper. Hopefully i get the orders started this weekend.

mjmck

Yeah, i was honestly disappointed with the packaging. The bumper was loose inside resulting in some "bust outs". The finish is very nice all except for the one support for the hoop. Sent the seller a quick message to see if they can send me some touch up paint. Its some type of rhino liner. Up here that will rust in a day with the salt....

mjmck

Got a few bucks off the bumper for the missing paint. Will have to go grab some plastidip or something.

More importantly I ordered a set of full coverage flatty fender flares on June 26th. I have still yet to see them. The seller provided a tracking number but it only says the label was created, once the package begins shipment I will get updates. Ive sent 2 messages to the seller. The first one they told me not to worry and it would be updated shortly. Well here we are almost another week later still no parts and no update. We will see what excuse he comes up with... Getting fed up with looser eBayers.... I've been on since 2009 with a 100% rating.:icon_crazy:

mjmck

On a side note we finally received our first two sets of parts for the wife's new "mom" mobile. Ebay bumper and vent visors.

Installing the factory fog lights:
C2yacix.jpg

Old crap that I've already sold for $30:
vXlbLXi.jpg

Not much behind there:
PyQoPNl.jpg

Dry fit:
CM0Ry1m.jpg

Completed:
q14h4xW.jpg

mjmck

Finally got my knock-off Bushwacker style full coverage flatty flares. Box was damaged but luckily all the parts looked good. It took just shy of a month, with literally 1 update that led to the seller sending a second package. I can't justify giving the transaction a positive so I contacted the seller and he is in the process of giving me some type of partial refund. I have yet to see it.

On a side note I also ordered some step rails for the sides. They may hang a little low for serious wheeling but our old smittybilt ones were just to high and tight to the body to even utilize as steps.

mjmck

Also went to the 6th annual Jeeps at the Beach yesterday. Very cool place. Jepe freaks come from all over, had 389 Jeeps show up. Rides range form brand new stock jeeps to old Willys army equipment! This year our Jeep was fairly lame. However it was a good excuse to get the new steps on. They are much more user friendly (especially with the wife pregnant)

mqFqcco.jpg

Clrgvm9.jpg

Clrgvm9.jpg

lKyzCwW.jpg

mjmck

So I need to order some tires that are KNOWN to fit on a stock JKU without a lift. This thing will eventually be pulling a small pop-up so I want to keep the tire size down. Luckily being a Sahara it has 3.73 gear ration over the 3.21's which should help a little. I figured for now a set of 285/70R17's would look good under the Jeep.

Purchased them off eBay as before:
XcJYPGo.jpg

I took them over to my local Firestone to mount and balance on an old set of JK rims I kept from the 07:
w94utX9.jpg

Out with the old:
LPZZgXA.jpg

In with the new:
vMzJfud.jpg

Of course I kept my old Superchips FlashCal that was turned into a FlashPaq. Changed up the tire size but had some issues with the TPMS system:
oxnZMCD.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another super busy weekend at my place. First off we had our first measurable snow. Glad I got my old snowblower off a week ago to the repair shop for a full service. Typically I would do this but time has not been on my side, plus with surgery coming I just wanted it DONE. Possibility of our first good snow the week of Thanksgiving.
m831jFY.jpg

Started off Saturday Morning messing with the eBay "knockoff" Bushwacker Flatty Jeep flares. I attempted an install a month or so ago and it was a complete failure. FAR from bolt on, hell didn't even have all the fasteners. After fighting with the seller for such an inferior part i got a whopping $30 refunded on the $400 purchase price. (Actual Bushwackers are about $350/pair, so these were just over 1/2 price).
QRh9Bru.png

I got my pneumatic grinder out and began shaping all of the small plastic parts to better fit the contour of the Wrangler.
1UBp9HD.jpg

fsFHoOP.jpg

Finally got the drivers front installed.
uZgbvTk.jpg

DljWIuF.jpg

Flipped the jeep around in our garage and proceeded to complete the passenger side.
zK9Kf6b.jpg

Have to custom cut the inner fenders to mate back up with the aftermarket flare.
byBle3J.jpg

By 4PM I had both fronts done. Will tackle the rears next weekend. Need to run out and get more hardware.
s2PMmU7.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finally made some headway on the JKU first thing this morning. A few weeks back my Super Chips tuner was not allowing me to disable TPMS on the Jeep. We installed rims from the old 07 JK (no TPMS in 07) we had due to the fact they were 17's instead of 18's. I now need to find a spare tire to mount on the 17'' then I will be able to sell the complete set of 18's. Hope for $200 for just the rims (spare has tire mounted still).

A week or so ago I called Super Chips and they performed some reset on my tuner, welp it worked! I now have the option to disable.
BvvQhwu.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got started on the Jeep this weekend. Dealer said both front axle shaft U-joints were sticking/binding. They charged me $58 to diagnose and wanted $550 to replace. I said no thanks, and ordered a set of Moog Severe Duty 377 Joints. I started the dis-assembly on Sunday.
30mqEzr.jpg

C8Buv4w.jpg

kg97P36.jpg

TDJHg49.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just after this picture we began pressing in the Moog 377 and it was not fitting correctly. After a few trips to different auto stores, a lot of head scratching and parts people telling me I was doing something wrong I had one parts guy say well there is this one different u-joint listed and said to fit. Only the Main Napa store in Syracuse has 1 on had. We went to go look at it and it happens to be the correct unit.

Come to find out in mid-year 2012 Jeep changed up the axle shaft sizes. I have the latter 2012 and up larger size, the Moogs I purchased are the smaller size.
ZnwN0W0.jpg

As seen below the SKF is the correct part number for our Jeep. The auto stores computers don't really make it evident that there was a mid-year change, so the parts guys offer the first units to pop up and don't take into account there may be other possibilities further down in the list.
5kIEAVd.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some snow pictures just because. 23 inch storm.

UoUAIMp.jpg

JSp7jqT.jpg

4wqDKdl.jpg

k2x3eXK.jpg

Lf1diFm.jpg

Top Bottom