Cliche "Need trail recommendation" post for Moab ... Again

GeneralElement

Hello all! So I recently posted a thread earlier this year asking for Jeep trails in Moab that will be fine for me and my buddie's stock JKU's. You can see the post here, which includes pictures of my Jeep.

This post is similar to that, but, a tad different. I'm having a female-friend fly out here from Missouri. She's never-ever been to UT, so I thought I'd take off a couple days to show her around. Moab is going to be the highlight of her trip. She's never been crawling in a Jeep, so I want to do that with her. I'm a pretty avid driver, been crawling my whole life. However, I've always been with someone that is at least somewhat capable of spotting. She, however, is not, due to her lack of experience with crawling. SO... I want to take her on some fun trails that really show her UT, but also, show her just what crawling is. Something that will kinda scare her, but not terrify her. But most importantly, these trails have to at least have bypasses that don't require a spotter. I've read and seen some video's about Hell's Revenge, and to be honest, there's some stuff there that I've seen that I wouldn't be comfortable doing without a spotter. Specifically: The tub, and the very steep and narrow crawl. .. Forget the name of that particular point. I've not done this trail before, so I'm eager to try it.

I have done Poison Spyder. That was fun. Did that without a spotter, and it was great. I've also done some of Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim -- Also without a spotter. I didn't go all the way, however. I have a very-very capable Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JKUR). It has 37" tires and a 4" Fox Suspension lift. Obviously, because it's a rubi, its got front and rear lockers and a disconnecting sway bar. I'm confident in my driving, especially in this. Like I said, I have a lot of experience. I only get really worried when I can't see where I'm going (aka: when the Jeep is aimed toward the sky). So any feedback and recommendations are appreciated! We'll be down there next weekend (Jun 30th - Jul 2nd). Current Jeep setup:
IMG_0728.jpg

Thanks again!

DaJudge

Potash Rd. and Schafer Switchbacks, yes it is just a road but for someone who has never seen canyon country the views are amazing. Come back to town on Long Canyon Road.
Tower arch in Arches NP. Fun for a beginner, it will be her first taste of what a Jeep can really do and there is a nice little walk to the Arch.
North side of Fins-N-Things. There are a couple of steep climbs but nothing hard. If you want a spotter for the few that are really pointing at the sky take advantage of that to let her be involved. Show her how to spot. Fins is easy for this because all she has to do is keep you on the tire marks. This is exactly how I first got my wife into Moab. Easing her into the trails and letting her get involved. She now LOVES Moab!
Since you know Poison Spider you could do it at the end of your trip. Not all women can handle the slick rock! I have friends whose wives refuse to go. It just depends on the girl!

GeneralElement

Potash Rd. and Schafer Switchbacks, yes it is just a road but for someone who has never seen canyon country the views are amazing. Come back to town on Long Canyon Road.
Tower arch in Arches NP. Fun for a beginner, it will be her first taste of what a Jeep can really do and there is a nice little walk to the Arch.
North side of Fins-N-Things. There are a couple of steep climbs but nothing hard. If you want a spotter for the few that are really pointing at the sky take advantage of that to let her be involved. Show her how to spot. Fins is easy for this because all she has to do is keep you on the tire marks. This is exactly how I first got my wife into Moab. Easing her into the trails and letting her get involved. She now LOVES Moab!
Since you know Poison Spider you could do it at the end of your trip. Not all women can handle the slick rock! I have friends whose wives refuse to go. It just depends on the girl!

Appreciate the reply! Definitely will help guide us through Moab. What about places to camp? We kinda want to be off the beaten path. Don't want to pay for a campsite. Also, we want to shower at some point throughout the trip -- even though we're camping. I've been told there's places to do that down there, but I don't know where. I've been to Moab a handful of times, but usually it's one night of camping (not two) or a hotel room.

Top Bottom