Sniper kill from 3,450 meters

Sigma05

If Brian Litz, probably the worlds premier ballistician, with access to some of the most purpose built equipment and data to make a 2 mile shot, could not make the shot, after 5 attempts, how can a guy with an issued rifle, with issued ammo make it? I call pure luck, or BS.

GraniteCrystal

If Brian Litz, probably the worlds premier ballistician, with access to some of the most purpose built equipment and data to make a 2 mile shot, could not make the shot, after 5 attempts, how can a guy with an issued rifle, with issued ammo make it? I call pure luck, or BS.
First, luck always plays a part in it. These are real world conditions. Doesn't mean it wasn't an amazing shot.

Second, just because gun or ammo is "issued" doesn't mean it's not ridiculously good.

Third, he could probably feed whatever ammo he wants including hand loads. Don't think anybody is going to give a crap.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I'd call it luck, but the skill involved was in even getting close.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RageKage

Being that he's a sniper, he prolly has access to some of the most advanced and top notch technology as well as arsenal of weaponry and ammo that you can think of. Yea it may be "issued" but that doesn't mean it wasn't personally pieced together, which more than likely it was. But yea I agree the skill would have been just getting close.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

It was luck. I only consider a true shot one that is repeatable. Anyone can lob a bunch of rounds down range and eventually make the hit. This time, the sniper was lucky. I would be curious to learn more about the gear/caliber/spotting involved.

But the shot is possible.

Being that he's a sniper, he prolly has access to some of the most advanced and top notch technology as well as arsenal of weaponry and ammo that you can think of. Yea it may be "issued" but that doesn't mean it wasn't personally pieced together, which more than likely it was. But yea I agree the skill would have been just getting close.

Snipers do NOT have the most advanced or top notch technology... at all. They get with they are issued and that is it. Many branches of the military still hold onto the .308 Winchester and the .300 Winchester Magnum rounds, very ineffective long range rounds. They have started looking at the .260 Remington, which I personally compete with as a variant to this round, the 6.5mm Creedmoor. For me, IPSC silhouette hits out to 1,200 meters are not that difficult.

As for ammunition. They are really hindered here. They cannot reload their own ammo, they have to again use what they get. That is a really downer in my book. But when you consider all of the different situations the sniper encounters, it makes sense they have a few rounds that are for a myriad of situations. A lot of the thoughts behind long range precision stop when you are talking about glass, steel, reduced visibility, coordinated fire, suppressed fire, etc. I know several snipers, both for the police and the military, and they would laugh at your statement. Just remember that a sniper has to deal with a lot more than you or I EVER will, and at a two way range at that. Those guys are tough. It is rarely about the shot. Just getting into position is difficult.

My hats off to that sniper. I hope he gets home safe and sound and can live to tell about it. Not all of them do.

RageKage

It was luck. I only consider a true shot one that is repeatable. Anyone can lob a bunch of rounds down range and eventually make the hit. This time, the sniper was lucky. I would be curious to learn more about the gear/caliber/spotting involved.

But the shot is possible.

Snipers do NOT have the most advanced or top notch technology... at all. They get with they are issued and that is it. Many branches of the military still hold onto the .308 Winchester and the .300 Winchester Magnum rounds, very ineffective long range rounds. They have started looking at the .260 Remington, which I personally compete with as a variant to this round, the 6.5mm Creedmoor. For me, IPSC silhouette hits out to 1,200 meters are not that difficult.

As for ammunition. They are really hindered here. They cannot reload their own ammo, they have to again use what they get. That is a really downer in my book. But when you consider all of the different situations the sniper encounters, it makes sense they have a few rounds that are for a myriad of situations. A lot of the thoughts behind long range precision stop when you are talking about glass, steel, reduced visibility, coordinated fire, suppressed fire, etc. I know several snipers, both for the police and the military, and they would laugh at your statement. Just remember that a sniper has to deal with a lot more than you or I EVER will, and at a two way range at that. Those guys are tough. It is rarely about the shot. Just getting into position is difficult.

My hats off to that sniper. I hope he gets home safe and sound and can live to tell about it. Not all of them do.

Not disagreeing with you at all, but I AM in the military and have seen and talked and worked with multiple snipers, and some SF guys. For you to say that my statement would be laughed at is a laughing matter in itself. The snipers that get issued the .308, .300, or the .260 are more than likely not in a specops unit. Seeing as how the infantry boys I deployed alongside of carried those... I was talking more about the snipers in specops units. I would never expect the military to pay that much for someone that isn't in a specialized unit. Now that being said those guys in the specops units are damn near handed a government credit card and told "do with it as you please" now it is not exactly that way but you get the just of my statement. As for police.... yea pretty much the same as the guys in non specops units. They get just above the bare minimum. I think everyone forgets that there are guys in those specops units that are far more highly trained than your "average joe" military sniper.

But I digress. It's really neither here nor there. I second your statement. Hats off to that man. Incredible shot and god speed to get home safe.

HoosierWolf

He used a McMillan Tac-50 which is a 5000.00 rifle before you add optics and accessories. We aren't talking a Remington 300 win mag you can pick up at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I'm not active or even ex military (I spent a few years in the firearms industry but I've never been military or LEO) but the "standard issued equipment" is selling the weapons issued to special operations sniper teams a little short IMHO. Heck even the old Swedish Mausers back in the day were tested and the ones rated best accuracy were issued to marksmen.

Can you have a rifle built better than they get, sure you can. All depends on how much you want to spend.

As I understand it if his rifle is capable of 1/2 MOA accuracy, that is about a 17" window of error at the range of this shot. No doubt luck had a very big part in that but the difference of luck it would take that sniper to pull it off and the luck it would take a guy like myself to pull it off is laughable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom