Any ideas how to tow a JK 5000 miles for not so much money? Might be Moab bound.

zimm

Caught the Bug
My jeep group is heading to Moab in October. I'll be in Miami at that point. It's 2500 miles each way. I'm wondering if there any options to rent a truck and trailer that won't cost me $4000k (Penske, Ryder, Uhaul all charge by the mile, or $2k each way for a one way move). Or am I stuck with driving my rig and hoping it doesn't break out there?

Ddays

Hooked
My jeep group is heading to Moab in October. I'll be in Miami at that point. It's 2500 miles each way. I'm wondering if there any options to rent a truck and trailer that won't cost me $4000k (Penske, Ryder, Uhaul all charge by the mile, or $2k each way for a one way move). Or am I stuck with driving my rig and hoping it doesn't break out there?

Drive it - its worth it! I was contemplating doing the same but in the end made the drive part of the adventure. I think it was worth it. Gas is still relatively cheap too.:twocents:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Drive it - its worth it! I was contemplating doing the same but in the end made the drive part of the adventure. I think it was worth it. Gas is still relatively cheap too.:twocents:

^^this!! I drove my Jeep all 2200 miles both ways when I went last year and would do it again in a heart beat!

zimm

Caught the Bug
cool, thanks. Now the million dollar question- drag my little casita camper with me, or go light and motel it on the trip and tent it in moab?

zimm

Caught the Bug
I've never been to Moab, so I'm assuming you'd want to camp while still out on the trails? The camper would seriously hinder me unless you can always get back to the campsite at the end of each day. But having a tent and just me, I can sleep anywhere. No shitter and shower though.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
They make a camp shower and a toilet. It actually works good. All you need is two buckets one for shower, which a pump sits in and connects to a shower head. Runs over an hour on some d batteries. The other bucket is the toilet and they make a toilet seat that snaps on and bags to collect. Sounds crazy but it worked great for us (girlfriend approved).

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
I'm not sure that you are allowed to camp on the trails out there but there are a lot of options. There are a lot of free primitive camping areas right outside downtown along Rt 128 which follows the Colorado River. Not sure how that works or if you have to reserve them. Kinda look like first come first served. There are plenty of camping areas and hotels. Lots of condos to rent as well.

Tanktitan

There are auto carriers that ship any vehicle just like new ones. Contact your Jeep dealer to see who they use. Driving is not a bad option if you are set up for that.

Sudz

Drive it! Last August I drove my heep to Sacramento and back from Trenton, NJ with no A/C.

I did the Rubicon, Black Bear Pass & Imogene Pass. I met this guy on the trip out a few days prior to him braking his Dad's land speed record!

Article on Danny T: http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/14/us/bonneville-danny-thompson-speed-record/

100_1100_zpsoammkxfp.jpg

100_1127_zpss4gx6dgk.jpg

100_1124_zpsuradmymi.jpg

100_1408_zps0brgoysw.jpg

catahoula

Caught the Bug

SDG

Caught the Bug
Lmao the struggle is real

Well, I have seen numbers like $500 cross country to ship.

Personally I get between 10 to 14 mpg depending on speed and headwind... So let's say 13 mpg ave at 70 mpg (drops quickly above that)... now 5000 miles round trip would be 385 gallons of gas and current national average is $2.28 ($3 here in wonderful CA) so that's $880 in fuel round trip.

Now let's look at time, 5000 mikes/70 mph is 72h of driving. If you drive 12h a day, that's 6 days round trip, so assuming you are employed you burn 6 days of vacation to get there vs 2 if you fly... So 4 days of work at say $20/hr is $640 you would have made working...

$880 + $640 = $1,520. So if you find a round trip flight for $520 +1,000 to ship the jeep it literally costs the same. The more you make over $20/hr or the less vacation you have means the more worth it that it is. That's not counting road meals, hotels on the road, etc.

Just my opinion.

Overland_stormtrooper

Caught the Bug
i say drive it , did a round about not long after getting mine , from texas into new mexico then cali and up to moab before making my way back to texas , granted rig was still new but didnt have any trouble whatsoever

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom