Weight of 2 door JK and Front to Rear weight transfer question...

Tumbleweed

Has anyone else weighed their JK? Mine weighed 2540kg./5599.74 lbs. a few years ago! I was near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and happened upon a closed truck weigh station. I drove across and weighed it. WOW.

I did a bit of body damage that trip and have since changed out the Bushwacker fender flares for Poison Spyder steel ones. I also added some EVO rear Rock Skins.
I have an ARB 50 quart Fridge/Freezer with extended slide and 2 ARB drawers. I carry a 20 lb. CO2 bottle.
With all that I carry for spare parts, tools, camping equipment, etc. I have been experiencing some squatting in the back and the front unloading the springs. I need a front to back anti-sway bar!!!
I am going to the Jeepers Jamboree in about a month and will try to weigh it fully loaded and ready for the Rubicon before I go. I am curious about stock axle weights, front to back weight ratio.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can prevent or negate such a weight transfer?
You can see most of my mods in my signature.
Thanks for any and all your help.

BaddestCross

Wow, that's a lot of weight. 😂 My rig's ass is heavy too. I'm running OME HD springs to compensate and I'm still squatting a bit, but the front doesn't unload. What springs are you running? If you're not doing something to stiffen up the rear, if start there.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tumbleweed

I started off w/ BDS 3" lift springs for a 2 door. The rear was sagging a bit, not sure if the springs were getting fatigued, so I went to BDS 4 1/2" rear springs for a 4 door. The front springs remained the same.

BaddestCross

I started off w/ BDS 3" lift springs for a 2 door. The rear was sagging a bit, not sure if the springs were getting fatigued, so I went to BDS 4 1/2" rear springs for a 4 door. The front springs remained the same.
Not familiar with BDS. The OME springs are rated for weight and give those ratings on their web site. I had originally started out with their medium duty springs but still bottomed out hitting bumps/whoops at higher speed. The HD springs fixed that. I'm gonna put in some spacers in the back to level out the ride until I go with a higher lift all around.

Tumbleweed

At least it's not a Teraflex lift!!!

Seriously tho', if I were to change the springs again, what would the recommendations be? I am estimating my "going down the trail" weight to be 6500-6800 lbs. I have no idea what the front to back ratio will be.

BaddestCross

Seriously tho', if I were to change the springs again, what would the recommendations be? I am estimating my "going down the trail" weight to be 6500-6800 lbs. I have no idea what the front to back ratio will be.
Well, I think I recommended OME heavy duty springs twice already. 😎

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If your 2 door jk weighs 6800 pounds you need to rethink what you bring. Fully loaded four doors with dtd, 60/80 and all gear are only weighing 7000.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your 2 door jk weighs 6800 pounds you need to rethink what you bring. Fully loaded four doors with dtd, 60/80 and all gear are only weighing 7000.

To be fair, we came in at 6900 lbs and that was with full doors on and an LS under the hood. Of course, not like we pack a ton of tools, fluids, a heavy ass welder, a heavy fridge or anything like that. :crazyeyes:

Tumbleweed

Truthfully, I have only weighed the Jeep once at the weigh station. So it's possible that the scales were off. But that doesn't change the front end unloading issue.
B5EACE27-8F4E-4C46-8E5C-C696AE8F40C0.png

Converted with an app on my phone.
11239458-9EDB-496C-B2B3-02F82013DCDB.png

Any other recommendations besides Old Man Emu? Nothing against OME, just looking for a consensus.

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Stock 2011 2 door is supposed to weigh around 3800, a stock Rubi is around 4100. Not impossible to add that much weight. I would expect that the scales are probably not overly accurate on a vehicle that light, I am sure that is near the bottom of it's range. My advice would be, if they are available, to pick up a set of 4 door rear springs for whatever lift you are currently running. I can't say if OME is a good lift, however I have not heard bad things like with Rough Country, teraflex, etc.

Last edited:

Scoop315

Caught the Bug

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Stock 2011 2 door is supposed to weigh around 3800, a stock Rubi is around 4100. Not impossible to add that much weight. I would expect that the scales are probably not overly accurate on a vehicle that light, I am sure that is near the bottom of it's range. My advice would be, if they are available, to pick up a set of 4 door rear springs for whatever lift you are currently running. I can't say if OME is a good lift, however I have not heard bad things like with Rough Country, teraflex, etc.

There is no difference between 2 door and 4 door springs. If companies advertise a 3" four door it is essentially a 4" two door. They plan on stupid people believing they are different.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom