Need some advice!!

Mikecal9985

ok so here is the situation I'm in. As I've stated in previous post, my wife and I are expecting a baby girl at the end of September. I've come to t realization that a new born and a 2dr JK aren't very compatible, especially with having to put the baby, car seat, attach everything and so on with just the front seat pulled forward. I used my sister in laws car seat just to see if it can be done, it can, but it would be a royal pain in the ass. and with plans on having more kids, I figured I might as well just go trade mine in for a 4dr. Now, mine is a 2011 and I would like to stay at that year or newer, and preferably not have my payments go up. I recently found a 2010 JKU sport, hardtop, automatic windows and locks (my 2dr is all manual), 88,105 miles (mine has close to 89K), 3.73 gear, and everything else is pretty much stock. asking $22,300. I know I said I wanted to stay at 2011 or newer, but this one has everything I need and wanted on a 4dr, and the price seems about right. I have about $2500-3000 in equity in my 2dr so I would at most just throw another $500 on top of that as a down payment. that should keep my payments where they are if not a little lower possibly. What d you guys think?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
My advice is to just save up some more and get something you actually want. You said you wanted to stay 11 or newer so if that's the case and you can't find something in your budget, just save a little longer. When is your girl due?

Edit: just read and saw September. So you got some time. Don't jump the gun on something you'll regret.
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

GraniteCrystal

Decide what you want. Go find it. Don't change the build sheet just because you found a different Jeep for sale. You will regret it. I have yet to find the CJ7 I'm looking for and it gets super tempting to change the model year I'm interested in. Long term, I'd regret it though.

Also the 2012 and newer has a better engine.

WJCO

Meme King
My advice is to just save up some more and get something you actually want. You said you wanted to stay 11 or newer so if that's the case and you can't find something in your budget, just save a little longer. When is your girl due?

Edit: just read and saw September. So you got some time. Don't jump the gun on something you'll regret.

^Agreed. Seems like just in the last year, more Jeeps are popping up for sale too. Not sure why. But I would give it some time if I were you.

holliewood61

Is it out of the question to find something else and keep the jk? My wife and i have 2 kids (5 and almost 2). I daily a wj grand cherokee and she dailys a wk grand cherokee. We keep the tj in the garage with the top down, and only use it on nice days. Its a lot easier to get the kids in the back with the top down. You can pick up a wk, xk, and in some cases a wk2 for less than 10 grand, all being good family haulers. Then you keep the jk as a pleasure vehicle.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikecal9985

Is it out of the question to find something else and keep the jk? My wife and i have 2 kids (5 and almost 2). I daily a wj grand cherokee and she dailys a wk grand cherokee. We keep the tj in the garage with the top down, and only use it on nice days. Its a lot easier to get the kids in the back with the top down. You can pick up a wk, xk, and in some cases a wk2 for less than 10 grand, all being good family haulers. Then you keep the jk as a pleasure vehicle.

The thing is I'm still paying for my 2011, I bought it in 2013 so I have at least another year of payments, adding another payment is out the question haha...thanks tho

Mikecal9985

I'm not set on the 2010 I talked about in the original post, it was just a thought I was throwing around, I'm willing to wait and get something newer since I do have till at least the end of August. One question, why is the 2012 engine better? I know it's a different engine, I just never knew why it was Better

BobNH

In the rpm range that actually matters, hp is quite similar, though the 3.6 is like 90lbs lighter. What really, imo, sets the 3.6 apart is the torque, a number that matters far more off road in the rocks and crawling. HP great for wheel spin in the mud and crazy skinny pedal buggy bouncers, but the torque lets you dig in hard under load. And the torque curve of the 3.6 is amazing alone, much less vs the 3.8. It makes it's torque fast in the low rpms, and stays flat. Personal opinion of course. That said, I have an 08 rubi with the 3.8 and 4.10. But gears are a totally different thread....
SkHtl07.jpeg

I agree with what was said; you have time to find and choose what you want, may as well do it. And the jk 2 door is a bitch for back seat access. I raised my daugther with my TJ and the fold forqard seats on BOTH sides were more than adequate. No minivan, but at least it wasn't a minivan. ;)

Mikecal9985

In the rpm range that actually matters, hp is quite similar, though the 3.6 is like 90lbs lighter. What really, imo, sets the 3.6 apart is the torque, a number that matters far more off road in the rocks and crawling. HP great for wheel spin in the mud and crazy skinny pedal buggy bouncers, but the torque lets you dig in hard under load. And the torque curve of the 3.6 is amazing alone, much less vs the 3.8. It makes it's torque fast in the low rpms, and stays flat. Personal opinion of course. That said, I have an 08 rubi with the 3.8 and 4.10. But gears are a totally different thread....
View attachment 264994

I agree with what was said; you have time to find and choose what you want, may as well do it. And the jk 2 door is a bitch for back seat access. I raised my daugther with my TJ and the fold forqard seats on BOTH sides were more than adequate. No minivan, but at least it wasn't a minivan. ;)

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the info. The only "problem", if you will, with the 2010, is that it's a 2010. Other than that it's got what I want/need. lol that's why I'm asking all these questions guys!! Other than the engine, any other things I need to be aware of on an older Jku? Just trying to get all the info I can!

JKbrick

Awesome!!! Thanks for all the info. The only "problem", if you will, with the 2010, is that it's a 2010. Other than that it's got what I want/need. lol that's why I'm asking all these questions guys!! Other than the engine, any other things I need to be aware of on an older Jku? Just trying to get all the info I can!

Not that it's a deal breaker but the 3.6 has a few problems of its own, some 2012s have head problems and there is an oil cooler or something that looks like a can of spam under the intake that leaks oil, I've seen posts of guys changing them. Honestly buy what your budget allows and don't be jeep poor trying to raise a child

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Kind of what I'm thinking and what I might do if it were me.

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
Been my experience that spring/summer months are a seller's market. People are getting outside, maybe see a Jeep or experience a ride in one, then want one. Prices are a little high cause the demand is up. Fall/winter rolls around and folks are trying to dump them. Prices drop because supply goes up. You've got time, and my feeling is that as summer ends, prices will start dropping.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikecal9985

Been my experience that spring/summer months are a seller's market. People are getting outside, maybe see a Jeep or experience a ride in one, then want one. Prices are a little high cause the demand is up. Fall/winter rolls around and folks are trying to dump them. Prices drop because supply goes up. You've got time, and my feeling is that as summer ends, prices will start dropping.

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That is true, however, we don't have seasons here in Florida hahaha it's pretty much summer year round

Top Bottom